Balloon drop on newer ships?

gotscrapz

We cruised on the Vista in April of last year and there was no balloon drop. The Atrium only goes up to Deck 5. I don't think a balloon drop from that short of a distance would be very exciting. A water balloon drop on the other hand.........:eek:

• Like 1

We cruised on the Vista in April of last year and there was no balloon drop. The Atrium only goes up to Deck 5. I don't think a balloon drop from that short of a distance would be very exciting. A water balloon drop on the other hand.........:eek:

That's what I was thinking ..... we'll miss it .:(

We've never cruised Carnival before, so I didn't even know this was a thing. Do the older ships have this? When does it occur?

Generally the last day of the cruise - on the highest interior deck will be a net across the atrium and tons of blown up balloons and markers and you can't write a message on them etc and put them in the net. Then at the final goodbye party that night they drop the balloons in the atrium to the lowest level. Kids and adults alike enjoy it and reading the messages :)

IS this new?

Out of 14 Carnival cruises they have only done this when we sailed on a holiday or on a inaugural.

Weird. We just did it again in the Magic last cruise on a normal sailing - no holidays and not inaugural.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

13 Carnival cruises under my belt since 2000 and this is the first time I've ever heard of this.

Sounds cool though. Especially with the kids.

I have also never heard of this either. We have been on ships from the fascination to the breeze. I watch the funtimes closely too.

This sounds like a lot of fun, I will have seek this out. We will be on the Legend to Alaska in August...I will ask about it there.

New to me also! To the OP about the straws. I’m guessing the balloons drop on the inside of the Atrium. Therefore no balloons outside to fall into the ocean!

The problem with straws is that they are used outside and dropped into the ocean? WHAT!?!

Even balloons popped inside have to be disposed of. Probably along with the 99.99% of the straws that don't get tossed overboard.

• Haha 1

The problem with straws is that they are used outside and dropped into the ocean? WHAT!?!

Even balloons popped inside have to be disposed of. Probably along with the 99.99% of the straws that don't get tossed overboard.

Actually there are several states that are passing regulations against plastic straws. Maybe you can get balloons added to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am highly allergic to latex. I ended up in the ICU and almost died from inhaling the latex particles emitting from a latex foam mattress. I have to avoid balloons and can not eat food that has been handed with latex gloves due to the latex particles being ingested.

Does anyone know which cruise line does not have latex balloons or use latex gloves for food prep?

My daughter and I would like to go on an Alaskan cruise.

• 3 months later...

I can understand the appeal of a balloon drop for the 5 or 10 minutes of fun and the pop pop while people rush around stomping on them.  But for those with a latex allergy it can be deadly and something the cruise lines need to address.  Balloons are made with cheap materials and the powder that is on and in them is the main problem.  Breaking them forces the powder into the air which goes through the entire ship's ventilation system.  Simply cleaning up the balloons does not eliminate the problem.  The powder is now in the air, carpets, furniture, etc, and if people take them back to their cabins and break them there then that cabin is contaminated.  My wife has a severe latex allergy and travels with an epi-pen and allergy medication at all times.  We just returned from Celebrity Infinity Nov 5-10/18.  As soon as we entered the ship my wife felt scratchy in her throat and lips tingled.  Symptoms got worse over the next 2 days so we asked and found out they had a massive balloon drop on Oct 31st.  Her reactions were not life threatening but caused considerable discomfort and luckily things improved as the ship aired out.  A few years ago on Celebrity Reflection we saw a huge balloon drop had been set up over night.  Prior to the drop we retired early and I literally sealed our cabin door with duct tape for the night.  Luckily nothing more than a scratchy throat for a few days with constant medication. Last summer on Brilliance of the Seas we spoke to the cruise director and he cancelled the drop for that cruise.  Due to the health hazards balloon drops should not occur and latex gloves should not be used at all.  They don't fill the balloons with peanut gas or clean the ship with peanut butter based cleaners for obvious reasons so discontinue using anything latex please. There are crew members are also allergic to latex so it is really a workplace safety issue for them as well.  The balloon drop fans would not be pleased but years ago you could smoke anywhere on a ship. Remember, its only a thrill for a few minutes with lasting repercussions for others.

• Thanks 1