must change cruise date because school board changed when the kids go back to school

CruzCra-Z

Your PVP can plead your case to their supervisor to get the $50pp change fee waived. You don't get what you don't ask for & all they can do is say no.

I did call to look into my options and was told "no" on waiving the 50pp fee... thats why I'm looking elsewhere

Just determine what your priorities are and act accordingly:

If vacation time is more important than your child's education, to hell with school!

If your child's education is more important than your vacation time, to hell with the cruise!

Can you imagine if Carnival had to make an exception for every passenger who thinks he/she has a "legitimate" reason/excuse for needing to reschedule and/or cancel their cruise?

smh

hmmmm... not sure why you put "smh". A local government change in the county's school calendar is about as legit as it can get. My daughter is a 4.0 student that would in no way be harmed by missing a week of school. So I don't have any concerns about her education, thank you. I'm trying to make her happy by changing our cruise since she doesn't want to miss school. She's already going to England next July on a school trip so this is a financial choice for me. If I can avoid spending more money then that would be great.

So yes, I could imagine if Carnival made exceptions for passengers who can prove they have "legitimate" reasons.. They'd have happy return customers.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post...

That’s a huge change, more than three weeks earlier! I would try calling Carnival and see what they say? Can’t hurt to ask nicely. I booked a Memorial Day weekend cruise for this year and had to cancel thanks the bills for crazy tree damage in the March storms. I called to cancel and asked if they would move my deposit to another cruise I had already booked. They did it without any fuss! Good luck��

Thanks, I'm going to call again at a later time. I think sometimes it just depends on who you talk to on the other end of the line....

Instead of changing your booking, try contacting your children's school administrators and explain the situation you're in. I'd bet you're not the only parents that made vacation plans in advance not knowing there would be a change in your school district's starting date. Explain to the administrators how much money you stand to lose by rebooking or cancelling your cruise. If possible, try to meet with your children's teachers ahead of time and explain the situation to them as well. Maybe they could give your children any necessary homework they might have to do to keep from being behind a week in their lessons. Doing homework while on a cruise will take away some of the thrill from being on a cruise, but it's far more preferable than the costly alternative(s) you're considering. Since the cruise isn't until Aug. 2019, you'll have plenty of time to work it out, but I'd do it as soon as possible.

definitely option "B" ;)- thanks

Now I did not have something like a school board change but I was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and spent 3 months in the hospital and was given a year to live and it was no dice for me

PS, (by the ways thru God and the miraculous doctors I have worked with I am now cancer free)

Congratulations on being cancer free... My best to you.

Everyone's issue is "legitimate" from their point of view. We lost the $50 pp when cancelling for a health concern. Only you can decide what is the breaking point for you. But expecting the policy to be waived may not be realistic. Would it matter if you can get OBC to cover it? A travel agent might give you that to transfer a booking to them.

Talk to your PVP as others have said. If you're rebooking another exact or similar cruise they most likely will work with you.

If you do not have a PVP, contact Mischelle via the Carnival Cruise facebook page, and she will put you in touch with Customer Care.

Thank you

I did call to look into my options and was told "no" on waiving the 50pp fee... thats why I'm looking elsewhere

Unfortunately that is the consequence of booking early saver. You are given a lower price and price protection until a few days before your cruise, in return you agree to a 50 dollar fee per person if you have to reschedule or cancel.

I do hope you have some luck in getting this worked out. Vacations are fun to plan and look forward to...keep an eye out for a comparable cruise that will work for you guys and have a great time. Bumps in the road happen, but don't let it ruin your vacation, no matter what you choose to do.

Keep us posted on if they can help you get this straightened out. I think it sucks that the school board changed the dates so dramatically.

This is a no brainer. Cancel the cruise and rebook if you can afford it. If not, find another vacation that fits your budget, or roll it over to the next year and really splurge on a deluxe cruise. I have a hunch that cruise lines will still be in business in 2020. I would just consider the $200 to be the cost of having kids...like a broken window, broken leg or car accident. Not a big deal.

thanks lol - she's a straight A student... but the school has a rule about absences effecting final exam exemptions. Which really doesn't make sense to me. If you have the grade to be exempt that should be all that matters.

It's because a body in a seat = $$ for the school. That's the main reason

(retired teacher, glad to be away from all that.... yes, All Children Left Behind!)

I hope things work out for you.

thanks lol - she's a straight A student... but the school has a rule about absences effecting final exam exemptions. Which really doesn't make sense to me. If you have the grade to be exempt that should be all that matters.

If she is really a straight A student then taking the exam should be no big deal.

That said, I hope you come up with a solution that does not involve pulling her out of school.

Have you considered talking to the school board about your dilemma due to their late decision and if they could give a pass on missing the first week of school (and if they can’t give a pass, tell them you expect them to pay the extra cost to move dates)

Of course your kids may have to do a little school work during the cruise to keep up but may be a win win

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you considered talking to the school board about your dilemma due to their late decision and if they could give a pass on missing the first week of school (and if they can’t give a pass, tell them you expect them to pay the extra cost to move dates)

Over a year away is a late decision?

If I understand correctly, you booked ES and therefore the remainder of your deposit (aside from the $200 penalty) will remain with Carnival for a future booking.

• The deposit and payment terms are the same. Guests who cancel prior to the final payment date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit received less a $50 USDservice fee per person.

Assuming you made a typical $100 deposit, you can't just walk away and eat the $200. You'll need to cruise with Carnival at some point (within 2 years) to use the $800. At this point, I'd keep an eye on fares. With over a year to go, you're likely to see a price drop on something suitable at some point.

I have an excellent PVP, but when I had to switch cruises a couple of years ago, he was unable to waive the fee for booking ES.

hmmmm... not sure why you put "smh". A local government change in the county's school calendar is about as legit as it can get. My daughter is a 4.0 student that would in no way be harmed by missing a week of school. So I don't have any concerns about her education, thank you. I'm trying to make her happy by changing our cruise since she doesn't want to miss school. She's already going to England next July on a school trip so this is a financial choice for me. If I can avoid spending more money then that would be great.

So yes, I could imagine if Carnival made exceptions for passengers who can prove they have "legitimate" reasons.. They'd have happy return customers.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post...

So is a death in the family, a major illness, an accident, an injury, the death of one's cat, dog, budgie....all "as legit as they come".....the list goes on and on.

You don't see Carnival making exceptions for those situations so why should they go to bat for you and your "legitimate" situation?

What can one say? DREAM ON!!!

Edited by 1AL

Now I did not have something like a school board change but I was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and spent 3 months in the hospital and was given a year to live and it was no dice for me

PS, (by the ways thru God and the miraculous doctors I have worked with I am now cancer free)

Thank God that really is a miracle,very hard cancer to cure. God bless you.

Sounds to me like your daughter is the adult! Kudos to her.

I've paid more $50/pp change fees than I can count - the last one being that my daughter decided after all to participate in her college graduation, which was the same day we were supposed to embark. I was thrilled she made that decision, but obviously that $200 was long gone.

It worked out okay, we are now able to sail on the Vista shortly after she comes to Galvestion. Costs a bit more, but we can't wait. :)

Good luck!

I'm sorry the OP has to make changes to her travel plans that were outside her control, but that is the risk you take when you book the ES fare. Everyone wants the lower fare and be able to "price match" right up to sail date, but when the proverbial "crap hits the fan" they don't want to pay the penalty involved in that fare.

I don't expect there to be much movement in CCL's part on this fee and I would be VERY upset if they did. I purposely DO NOT book this fare because I book far in advance and you never know what life will throw at you.

I don't expect there to be much movement in CCL's part on this fee and I would be VERY upset if they did. I purposely DO NOT book this fare because I book far in advance and you never know what life will throw at you.

I also get VERY upset when other people get good things from companies that I don’t. I always ask myself, how does that person’s situation affect me? and then decide my level of upset.