Grand Turk Beach Loungers

Bellasma2591

I have heard there is a charge to use the first 4 rows of loungers closest to the water on the beach. However, according to the website for Grand Turk loungers are free. Are the ones trying to collect money for the chairs just hustlers? Anyone have an official answer?

When we were there in Feb there were people trying to sell us loungers. I can't remember what they were saying. I heard that they are hustlers because they are supposed to be free. I would suggest to take a little walk down the beach to Jack Shack. A lot less crowded, great food! I believe I paid $10 for an umbrella but the loungers were free.

They are hustlers. But I think its usually just row 1 & 2. On our last trip there, we sat down in row 2 and a guy turned up right away wanting $$ for the use of his chairs and umbrellas. I was not particularly nice to him and our party moved back a row. At the end of the day as we were watching sail away, we saw that guy and some helpers taking down umbrellas & stacking chairs and carrying them down the beach.

They really should have someone to keep hustlers from doing this since there is a big sign as you go to the beach that it is free. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have a fun trip!! :cool:

Penny:tropical-drink:

I have been to Jacks Shack...it is too far for me with disabilities to get there these days. I may or may not take a cab, or might just stay in Margaritaville like I did last time. Personally if you are spending money at Jack's bar you should not have to pay for a chair / umbrella, that's my opinion. I was curious about the new chair on the beach since the storm. I never had to pay to sit there in the past at the waters edge.

I think it is the first row or two that are "privately owned" and thus there is a charge to use them. That charge is negotiable of course, and you'll notice most of those loungers remain empty all day.

If you go back a row or two the chairs that are free and owned by the cruise terminal are the same exact loungers you find on the carnival ships, silver metal frame & dark blue middle mesh. I think they also have green umbrellas.

I suggest to go somewhere else. Since the hurricane the beach is narrow and the trees are not there to provide shade. Every chair looks like it has an umbrella. It is a mass of humanity under one cluster of umbrellas. Not a pretty beach scene at all. All beaches on Grand Turk are public. Get in a cab and tell the driver to drive until you see one that looks interesting. Then check it out.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

I have heard there is a charge to use the first 4 rows of loungers closest to the water on the beach.

It's more like the first two rows, but yes.

However, according to the website for Grand Turk loungers are free. Are the ones trying to collect money for the chairs just hustlers? Anyone have an official answer?

Apparently there is an official sanction for the "locals" to charge for the first two rows of loungers -- they're not run off by port security, who DO patrol the beach -- but there are plenty of free loungers available unless you get there well after a first ship has docked. Just look for the blue loungers with the "GTCC" logo on them or their umbrellas.

Sadly, the hurricane denuded much of the beach of its palm trees so, at least for now, umbrellas are used a lot for shade and the area looks a lot "busier" than it used to.

You can also go to the right side of the pier, as all the loungers on that less-developed side are free. There is a more casual bar and grill there now called the Beached Whale, and it's still fairly close to the cruise terminal plaza and the restroom facilities there.

All loungers used to be free but now they charge for 1st 2 rows. Very disappointing as for us, this stop was not very exciting but a chance to get off the ship, stretch the legs, have some beach time, all for free (that was the attraction).

But now that they are charging, I vote to not stop here anymore and go to a better port

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It has nothing to do with how many rows back you are.

Pick a Green umbrella and it’s free. Pick one of the other colors and you’ll be asked for $20. We got off the ship early and noticed the locals put their umbrellas closer to the water. We moved the free green umbrella and set where we wanted.

We visited Grand Turk in April this year and when we approached the chairs on the beach, a Security guard walked up to me and said that all the blue loungers are free and there are plenty of blue loungers located in the shade under palm trees.

We saw locals hustling the passengers and charging them for "prime" front row loungers closest to the water. However, we also witnessed these locals charging passengers for the "free" blue loungers. We saw two verbal, loud, fights going on between passengers and locals and Security was called.

I can't imagine walking all the way down the beach in hot, sunny, weather to Jack's Shack but some people do it...same beach, same water.

Just park me in a lounge chair close to Margaritaville under a beautiful palm tree and I'm happy.

The loungers under the GREEN umbrellas are free. If you park under any other color umbrella they (the Locals) will charge you. It's not the color of the lounger, but the color of the umbrella you need to be aware of. All beaches are public so Margaritaville can't do anything about it. :cool:

IMG_1121-XL.jpg

It has nothing to do with how many rows back you are.

Pick a Green umbrella and it’s free. Pick one of the other colors and you’ll be asked for $20. We got off the ship early and noticed the locals put their umbrellas closer to the water. We moved the free green umbrella and set where we wanted.

Exactly. If you can find an empty spot you can move one of the free chairs closer to the water. The locals just get there before the ship even arrives, and they put their chairs out front.

All loungers used to be free but now they charge for 1st 2 rows. Very disappointing as for us, this stop was not very exciting but a chance to get off the ship, stretch the legs, have some beach time, all for free (that was the attraction).

But now that they are charging, I vote to not stop here anymore and go to a better port

So.....just step backward 10 or 20 feet and grab a free lounger? It's not THAT odious a task.

I can't imagine walking all the way down the beach in hot, sunny, weather to Jack's Shack but some people do it...same beach, same water.
The walk is worth it to us - it's not the same beach or water. The beach is less crowded and the water is clearer and less rocky. We stayed at the beach near Margaritaville the first time we visited and really didn't care for it.

If you are going to walk right - watch the tide - when it is in, it can be a bit of a challenge closer to the pier. But you will find wide expanse of beach and have it pretty much to yourself. Just take water shoes to protect your feet.

Or walk left the Jack’s. The mass of people at the pier itself is nuts. But it is a great port stop - get away from the crowds for beautiful beach. Excellent snorkeling and diving. And tons of fun to take the tram around the island.

The loungers under the GREEN umbrellas are free. If you park under any other color umbrella they (the Locals) will charge you. It's not the color of the lounger, but the color of the umbrella you need to be aware of. All beaches are public so Margaritaville can't do anything about it. :cool:

IMG_1121-XL.jpg

How recent is this photo? We were there in March of 2016 and I don't fell like this many chairs were crammed into the area, nor were they that close to the water. It looks like you could barely navigate between the chairs in this pic.

Jack's Shack is really not that far, and is great if you don't like people crowded all around you plus has the cutest dog to play with, Topher! Unless you're significantly older or have some type of injury or disability, its at most a 10 minute leisurely walk (especially if you walk close to the water where the sand is packed down). I'm pretty overweight, and walking to Jack's Shack is nothing. It's probably like 1/4 mile, less distance then I would normally walk down any beach to explore.

How recent is this photo? We were there in March of 2016 and I don't fell like this many chairs were crammed into the area, nor were they that close to the water. It looks like you could barely navigate between the chairs in this pic.

The picture was taken this past April. That photo was taken from the side so it makes it look like there was no space at all between loungers. Here's another view which will show the gap between the loungers a little better, but it's still pretty tight. :cool:

IMG_1118-XL.jpg

I was there this past April. I got in a little bit of a debate with a local trying to charge me for one of the free loungers I just told him no and he keep arguing with me and my daughter was uncomfortable bc I wasn’t having it and he kept on and on so we just left and walked on down the beach. But that was good thing bc Jacks’s Shack the water is better, less people, and don’t forget the cute dog!

The walk is not long or strenuous and I’m no athlete and thought the stroll there was easy.

It is only two rows, there are plenty of free chairs.