Not Checking Luggage w/ Porters?

Hydro ergo

Hi All,

I have tried searching, but can't find exactly what I am looking for, so hopefully this post isn't repetitive! I have cruised several times before, but this will be my first sailing with Norwegian. In the past I have always brought my own suitcase on board. It's larger than an airplane carry-on, but not a huge suitcase, I think it's around a 24".

When I have sailed with Princess, the rooms were always ready or near-ready when I arrived around 12-12:30 or so. If "near-ready" the halls were accessible and the stewards didn't mind if you left the luggage outside the door and just left the area. (I asked, I don't want to be "that annoying person"). When I sailed with Carnival, they had the fire doors closed so you couldn't access the hallways. Not a big deal, I brought my suitcase with me to lunch. Some others were doing the same.

Anyway, I wanted to see what the process is like with Norwegian? Obviously, the later I arrive, the more likely the room will be ready. I have to check out of my hotel by 11, so I will probably be at the pier by 11:30 or so. That just is what it is. Any tips from anyone that has done this before? Do people do this with Norwegian? Any advice/suggestions/personal experience welcomed. I am sailing out of Port Canaveral, on the Epic if that makes any difference.

Before you all say "why bother?" let me clarify that I suffer (legitimately) from OCD and it's simply less stressful for me to carry on my luggage. My first cruise I checked it with the porters and when it wasn't at my door when we pushed back I was in a panice...irrational, I know, but I can't help it. Also, a handful of people never received their luggage on that trip... Which certainly hasn't helped making the fear seem irrational.

Thank you all---you are always a very helpful bunch!

You will not have access to the hallways until the cabins are ready so you will be carrying your suitcase on board; to lunch and all around until the cabins are announced they are ready. The firedoors or whatever are closed.

Are you sailing from a city where you could do some sightseeing before boarding the ship? When we sailed from Athens a few years ago, we checked our bags with the concierge and walked up to the Parthenon for a few hours. We then caught a cab at the hotel and boarded the ship around 3 - so we were able to walk on with no waiting. The ship sailed at 6, so we could have stayed in town longer had we wanted to.

Are you sailing from a city where you could do some sightseeing before boarding the ship? When we sailed from Athens a few years ago, we checked our bags with the concierge and walked up to the Parthenon for a few hours. We then caught a cab at the hotel and boarded the ship around 3 - so we were able to walk on with no waiting. The ship sailed at 6, so we could have stayed in town longer had we wanted to.

The OP said they were sailing from Port Canaveral.

Edited to add: When I was on the Epic you could drop off your carry on stuff at the Comedy Club until the rooms were ready. That was a couple of years ago though but it's worth asking as you board if that is available.

On both of my NCL sailings, rooms were ready around 1:30. I definitely did see a lot of people with luggage at the buffet, which seemed very cumbersome. I would suggest, as another poster did, that you eat at O'Sheehans and not try to navigate the buffet with a roller bag, both for your own convenience and that of other passengers. Fire doors are closed until rooms are ready.

“...When I was on the Epic you could drop off your carry on stuff at the Comedy Club until the rooms were ready.

We’ve been able to do this on a few cruises! It’s a nice convenience! (That is....if your OCD will let you leave your bags with a stranger for a few hours?)

Good Luck!

Thank you all, this is all very helpful! I never take my suitcase to the buffet. That would be incredibly disrespectful to other diners (and difficult to manage). I try not to inconvenience others with my eccentricities. Knowing that others have brought bags on board, and that fire doors are closed until about 1:30 or so is very helpful. That's what I was looking for :)

We’ve been able to do this on a few cruises! It’s a nice convenience! (That is....if your OCD will let you leave your bags with a stranger for a few hours?)

Good Luck!

Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it! And yes, I am ok leaving the bag with someone as long as I know it's on the ship! Oh boy, I wish I could rationalize some things better...but I suppose, if this is the worst thing to deal with in life, meh, it's all good! And I'm certainly not going to let it get in my way of cruising!

When we sailed on Escape last summer, they were shuffling everyone who would listen to Lido and the buffet. However, the main dining rooms were open -- you just had to know that and keep walking past the "Oh, lunch is being served on Lido" people. We had a very leisurely lunch there along with a couple of carry-on bags.

I think the real question should be, will it fit through the x-ray scanner at security? I can't honestly say if the one I saw had the plastic shield they do at the airport that only allows bags of a certain size to fit through it. That could be just one more issue to have to contend with, and it would really be a PITA to find out once you reach that point that you have to start all over again, because the bag won't go through the scanner.

I think the real question should be, will it fit through the x-ray scanner at security? I can't honestly say if the one I saw had the plastic shield they do at the airport that only allows bags of a certain size to fit through it. That could be just one more issue to have to contend with, and it would really be a PITA to find out once you reach that point that you have to start all over again, because the bag won't go through the scanner.

I will definitely look into that. I haven't had any issues in the past at various other ports, but haven't sailed from Port Canaveral yet. Thanks!

Hi All,

I have tried searching, but can't find exactly what I am looking for, so hopefully this post isn't repetitive! I have cruised several times before, but this will be my first sailing with Norwegian. In the past I have always brought my own suitcase on board. It's larger than an airplane carry-on, but not a huge suitcase, I think it's around a 24".

When I have sailed with Princess, the rooms were always ready or near-ready when I arrived around 12-12:30 or so. If "near-ready" the halls were accessible and the stewards didn't mind if you left the luggage outside the door and just left the area. (I asked, I don't want to be "that annoying person"). When I sailed with Carnival, they had the fire doors closed so you couldn't access the hallways. Not a big deal, I brought my suitcase with me to lunch. Some others were doing the same.

Anyway, I wanted to see what the process is like with Norwegian? Obviously, the later I arrive, the more likely the room will be ready. I have to check out of my hotel by 11, so I will probably be at the pier by 11:30 or so. That just is what it is. Any tips from anyone that has done this before? Do people do this with Norwegian? Any advice/suggestions/personal experience welcomed. I am sailing out of Port Canaveral, on the Epic if that makes any difference.

Before you all say "why bother?" let me clarify that I suffer (legitimately) from OCD and it's simply less stressful for me to carry on my luggage. My first cruise I checked it with the porters and when it wasn't at my door when we pushed back I was in a panice...irrational, I know, but I can't help it. Also, a handful of people never received their luggage on that trip... Which certainly hasn't helped making the fear seem irrational.

Some people take their bags on, it is very similar to Carnival. Cabins usually ready around 1:30.

Hi All,

cabins are ready anytime between 1pm and 2 pm. You are free to keep your bags with you until the cabins are ready. On lots of flights there is a place where you can store your luggage until the cabin is ready. If you are keeping it with you, just head for O'sheehans and have lunch and a cool one.

I have seen the door security agents turn passengers with large suitcases away at several ports. They had to go back and give the bags to the porters. The suitcase has to fit in the x-ray scanners. Again, the real question is the size of the machines. Im sure somebody on this site has the EXACT dimensions. Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have seen the door security agents turn passengers with large suitcases away at several ports. They had to go back and give the bags to the porters. The suitcase has to fit in the x-ray scanners. Again, the real question is the size of the machines. Im sure somebody on this site has the EXACT dimensions. Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it fits through an airport scanner, it will fit through the port scanner, especially since the OP mentioned hers is a 24 inch.

When we sailed on Escape last summer, they were shuffling everyone who would listen to Lido and the buffet. However, the main dining rooms were open -- you just had to know that and keep walking past the "Oh, lunch is being served on Lido" people. We had a very leisurely lunch there along with a couple of carry-on bags.

I always wondered why they would try to direct people to the buffet when the MDR is open. Why deal with the crowds and lines, when you can sit and be waited on., We always go to the MDR, even if the menu is limited.

I always wondered why they would try to direct people to the buffet when the MDR is open. Why deal with the crowds and lines, when you can sit and be waited on., We always go to the MDR, even if the menu is limited.

They direct people to the buffet because the crew of servers/stewards are busy loading supplies, baggage, and changing crew members out. It's their busiest day. Not to mention having to change sheets, scrub rooms etc. Most people don't realize the logistics of turnover day. It's crazy.

And for those of you who slip the attendant money so you can drop off your bags, they like the money, but they dislike you for doing that. Get out of their way and let them do their tough jobs.

I imagine it varies by port, but how many hours before departure can you check you bag? This sounds ideal

I imagine it varies by port, but how many hours before departure can you check you bag? This sounds ideal

I think the bag checking begins as early as check-in begins, so maybe 9:00 or 9:30? Whatever the earliest check-in time at the pier is.

If there are "porters" to take your bags that is when it begins but don't be put off by check-in time which doesn't usually start in most ports till after the boat has been cleared so work on 11am as the earliest check-in time. More often it is a little later.

Thank you all, this is all very helpful! I never take my suitcase to the buffet. That would be incredibly disrespectful to other diners (and difficult to manage). I try not to inconvenience others with my eccentricities. Knowing that others have brought bags on board, and that fire doors are closed until about 1:30 or so is very helpful. That's what I was looking for :)

Last year was my first solo cruise. And travelling solo (flight & cruise) I ONLY packed carry on luggage. AND when I boarded in Miami, I kept my luggage with me. I did see the area (it was a bar) where people were leaving their luggage with 1 or 2 NCL employees to 'watch' it. NO WAY. Maybe I am undiagnosed OCD.

I took it with me to the dining room, had a marvelous lunch and a glass of wine, and when lunch was finished, all of the cabins were open & available at that time.