No straws, what are my options?

phoenix1181

I don't like the taste/feel of stainless steel straws. I plan on bringing some Bubba straws and cleaning them every so often. If I keep ordering the same drink, it won't be a problem to just re-use the same straw throughout the day.

Have you ever tried to drink a mudslide, pina colada, dacquiri, miami vice or milkshake without a straw? Drink without a straw is not an option as you state it is.

OP, I was looking at getting stainless steel straws that come 8 in a pack and have sleeves so won't burn lips in sun and even a bag to carry in. They also come with a cleaner. With 8 we will have to clean them at night but should not have to run back to cabin a lot to clean them. Still looking for alternatives.

I had those exact drinks yesterday sans straw. No issues...

I brought a pack of disposable straws and carried a few around in my pool bag during the day and my hand bag in the evening. No burden at all. If you find yourself without a bag, have your guy put some in the pocket of his cargo shorts.

CM

Eeewwww NO WAY would I use a straw after it's been in a guy's pocket.

I'm bringing a couple plastic non-disposable straws that are flexible. After drinking my drink I'll rinse it off and store it away in a plastic bag until further need, and wash it at the end of the day in my cabin. And since it's flexible I can fold them in half and stick them in my pocket with no worries. I hope this helps. 😁

Thanks to those of you who offered useful information. I appreciate your help and will figure something out that will work for us..................

I am glad I read this thread, I did not know about the straws on ships. I am happy they are doing that though. :) So this is what I have purchased for my 14 night cruise, from Amazon. It even comes with a straw cleaner

https://www.amazon.com/Cups-Straws/b?ie=UTF8&node=15343011

While I completely understand the reason for eliminating straws, I'm trying to figure out how I can enjoy my drinks without them.

I always end up with a face full of ice when my drink is more than half gone.

I can bring my own straws but then I need to find a way to carry them.

I can purchase stainless steel straws which are washable but am I going to have to run back to my cabin several times a day to clean them? And I still have the problem of carrying them.

I just don't know what to do! All thoughts and suggestions are welcome...............

okay...(2) things:

1. we have seen posts where people are carrying their straws around the ship...but not in their pockets...the popular thing to do is to slide the straw (non drinking end) into your sock...almost all the way down as to conceal the stray from peeking out...with just enough room on the end to grasp it when needed...also once you place the used straw back into your sock..the sock actuall drys the straw for future use.. (i know right?? genius)

2. Why is it on the passengers to come up with solutions...cant NCL create a enclosed lid that has a drinking "spout" built into newly designed lids...like starbucks is doing??

I saw on the news this morning about pasta straws. They are a long hollow tube like a straw made out of pasta that hold up well to drinks and if you get hungry, you can just nibble on them.

I have a buddy who bites both ends of a strawberry flavored "twizzler" and uses it as a straw...maybe NCL can offer twizzlers with the drinks...i guess they would have to hire someone to "pre-bite" both ends before they hand them out...lol

I have a buddy who bites both ends of a strawberry flavored "twizzler" and uses it as a straw...maybe NCL can offer twizzlers with the drinks...i guess they would have to hire someone to "pre-bite" both ends before they hand them out...lol

That was my favorite thing to do when I was a kid, especially when I drank milk, made it into strawberry milk lol

We brought our own (paper & plastic) 2 weeks ago on the Escape and glad that we did as there were none to be had.

I kept some in my pool bag and my wife did the same. At night my wife kept a few in her purse.

I used practically none as I drank primarily beer and bloody mary's. My wife, nieces and daughter used a bunch for frozen drinks and my wife likes to use them for soda too.

I can tell you for sure there were none available on the Escape and the bartenders said they got a lot of grief from passengers the first couple of weeks. Supposedly NCL plans to have alternative straws in the future.

I truly can not believe people worry about whether or not they can get a straw, seriously, I am no activist at all but we are talking about a plastic straw, you do know people actually drank liquid before the advent of a plastic straw?
This is a big issue for people with disabilities. Some cannot drink independently or at all without a straw. Making them carry their own straws instead of having them available upon request is an additional burden on them.

You do understand that when it goes in the garbage it can still end up in the ocean? the whole point is to eliminate palstic straws altogether just like the movement to eliminate plastic bags. Reusable everything is so much better than disposable everything!

Pat

Reusable shopping bags have been scientifically shown to promote the spread of diseases. Plastic bags all the way.

This is a big issue for people with disabilities. Some cannot drink independently or at all without a straw. Making them carry their own straws instead of having them available upon request is an additional burden on them.

and if this is the case it would fall under the special needs department, just like if you have a peanut allergy or intolerance or need a handicapped equipped room - you call this number and they will provide you with whatever you need if not an everyday item. They are not going to not allow you to have one if it is medically necessary.

I truly can not believe people worry about whether or not they can get a straw, seriously, I am no activist at all but we are talking about a plastic straw, you do know people actually drank liquid before the advent of a plastic straw?

This.

Six months ago I was a little worried when I knew that we were unlikely to be served with straws in my favourite bars in Gibraltar. On Saturday I went out and found that I have learned how to drink a cocktail without a straw. Adaptation is possible.

and if this is the case it would fall under the special needs department, just like if you have a peanut allergy or intolerance or need a handicapped equipped room - you call this number and they will provide you with whatever you need if not an everyday item. They are not going to not allow you to have one if it is medically necessary.
I would hope NCL would accommodate for this but I've seen no reports yet. However it is an issue everywhere that is getting rid of straws, not just NCL.

I need to check if my travel insurance policy covers comet strikes. ;p

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It won't. And it'll cost you too much to add it.

I will insure you against a comet strike wiping out all human life for the bargain sum of £/€/$50 for £/€/$gazillions of cover.

PM me and we'll arrange payment and cover

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This.

Six months ago I was a little worried when I knew that we were unlikely to be served with straws in my favourite bars in Gibraltar. On Saturday I went out and found that I have learned how to drink a cocktail without a straw. Adaptation is possible.

did it take you a long time to learn, the local community college has a 12 week class and I am thinking about signing up;)

I would hope NCL would accommodate for this but I've seen no reports yet. However it is an issue everywhere that is getting rid of straws, not just NCL.

understand but if it is an issue, then purchasing a metal straw might be exactly what you need to do, then you will never have to worry again