No straws, what are my options?

phoenix1181

Geez, 8 pages about straws. I will bring a yeti type cup with straw and dump my frozen drink in it. Do I care if my pina colada residue mixes with my mudslide...nope! You can always find a place to rinse it out if you need to. Good grief..just get me on the ship. JS

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why not? If it’s trivial to you don’t read it. Didn’t you have professors who told you there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers?

I think I’ll start a thread about the meaning of life and the fact that cruises are really existential manifestations of a supreme being’s imaginative dreams of ordinariness.

It's more about using "common sense". And common sense would say buy straws and take with you.

Simple solution.

Please, more threads on this topic!

Geez, 8 pages about straws. I will bring a yeti type cup with straw and dump my frozen drink in it. Do I care if my pina colada residue mixes with my mudslide...nope! You can always find a place to rinse it out if you need to. Good grief..just get me on the ship. JS

I cannot understand why people come to a public forum about cruising and reads a question on the forum, pertaining to new cruise changes (no more plastic straws), they complain about people asking questions.

With out the questions, there would be no forum.:rolleyes:

1. I can understand the desire to eliminate the plastic straws on the ship, but why are all of the drinks served in plastic cups?

2. Do people use straws at home for their drinks?

totally agree, the one big issue with the straws is they are so light they tend to blow overboard more then anything else

1. I can understand the desire to eliminate the plastic straws on the ship, but why are all of the drinks served in plastic cups?

They use the plastic cups around the pool areas so they don’t have to worry about broken glass in the pool and hot tub as people like to lounge in both with drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not? If it’s trivial to you don’t read it. Didn’t you have professors who told you there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers?

"There are no such things as stupid questions" is usually something you say to someone who just asked a really stupid question. ;p

They use the plastic cups around the pool areas so they don’t have to worry about broken glass in the pool and hot tub as people like to lounge in both with drinks.

I was given plastic cups at every bar on the Sun this past weekend. Seems a bit contradictory to "save the world" by eliminating straws, but using plastic cups everywhere. I didn't miss the straws at all, just found it a bit ironic.

Reusable shopping bags have been scientifically shown to promote the spread of diseases. Plastic bags all the way.

Plastic bags are going away whether you like it or not. Ca. has already banned them and it is working it's way across the US. I would love to see that scientific proof that I bet was paid for by a manufacturer of plastic bags.:D

Pat

Plastic bags are going away whether you like it or not. Ca. has already banned them and it is working it's way across the US. I would love to see that scientific proof that I bet was paid for by a manufacturer of plastic bags.:D

Pat

They have done testing and if you don’t clean them after having meat and chicken in them bacteria can grow and thrive from the juices that might get trapped. So if you use disposable bags use one for your meats and make sure to wipe it throughly and let it dry after each use.

Just out of curiosity, those on these straw threads that get on people about needing/wanting a straw since its so bad for the environment.........how many of you took it upon YOURSELF all of these years to refuse a plastic straw when you ordered your drink? Methinks many/most of you probably used a straw until it became taboo to use one and now are all preaching how bad it is.

Just out of curiosity, those on these straw threads that get on people about needing/wanting a straw since its so bad for the environment.........how many of you took it upon YOURSELF all of these years to refuse a plastic straw when you ordered your drink? Methinks many/most of you probably used a straw until it became taboo to use one and now are all preaching how bad it is.

I know plastic in general is not as good as more biodegrable materials, but I was unaware until recently, how devastating straws can be by their small size. I saw some heartbreaking pictures of what plastic straws can do to animals that inhabit the seas. I was also unaware that they are difficult to recycle. Now I choose not to use them, even if they are available.

Mary Ann

Looks like no one responded to your number 2 question.

Why yes, I use straws at home. Every night. Reusable ones.

Hello, my name is Amy....and I...am addicted to straws. :p

most are unaware about these things until it is really brought to light, everyone knew plastic was bad but just not how bad. My daughter really enlightened us when she started studying Marine Biology in college.

Everyone should take an hour or so and watch https://bluethefilm.org it is really well done and will scare the **** out of anyone who watches it

If they are like the ones we have at work the plastic cups are “biodegradable”. However they are not recyclable.

And yes, I use straws at home. And, gasp, I wash supposedly disposable plastic straws, you know, the kind that are 200 for 89¢. No need to spend big bucks buying the latest greatest “reusable” straws. Plastic items are generally reusable.

Just bought a dozen colorful 'polka dot' reuse-able BPA free straws at World Market for $3.99.

I've also found an inexpensive travel tooth brush tube that will hold the straws nicely in my purse.

And to answer the question above, if someone will make me a Mudslide at home tonight, yes....I will need a straw! (Sensitive teeth)

It was difficult drinking my pina colada on Breakaway in June. I knew they weren't going to serve a straw, but am all for this approach. I did ask if they had any and they were quick to say, no, nowhere on the ship anymore at all. So don't bother asking. Pina Coladas are too high in calorie anyway. I switched to something else.

Looks like no one responded to your number 2 question.

Why yes, I use straws at home. Every night. Reusable ones.

Hello, my name is Amy....and I...am addicted to straws. :p

Yep, I use straws at home as well...and nope, I don't feel the least bit bad about it.

CM

Yes, I do use straws everyday at home for my drinks. I use reusable "Tervis" style straws and clean them daily. I use a Walmart brand Yeti style cups to drink out of. If I didn't use straws, none of my drinks would be cold, and the thought of drinking water without ice to keep it cold or fresh tea does not appeal to me, so we use reusable straws and plan to do the same for the cruise.

We plan on soaking sponges in dawn dish detergent, letting it dry again, cutting them up and then we will be able to wash our cups and straws daily.

Except at dinner, we plan on putting all of our drinks in our cups, but we will use a provided cup to fill them up at the water/juice spot.

Interestingly enough this is the first time I bothered to read through a straw thread. I actually contemplated whether or not I'm a straw person. I think mostly for me whether or not I use a straw depends on what/where I'm drinking. I'm not a fan of drinking out of stray glasses (breakroom at work, restaurants etc.) without a straw. If I have a tall glass I prefer a straw. If I have a short glass, not so much. I certainly won't pitch a fit over no straws. After all, I can always just drink shots.

Just bought a dozen colorful 'polka dot' reuse-able BPA free straws at World Market for $3.99.

I've also found an inexpensive travel tooth brush tube that will hold the straws nicely in my purse.

And to answer the question above, if someone will make me a Mudslide at home tonight, yes....I will need a straw! (Sensitive teeth)

Great idea to store your reusable straws in a toothbrush holder!

I really like using straws & more than likely I’ll be carrying a small clutch or crossbody, so this is a perfect way to store them!

Until I came across this thread I was unaware about the straws being taken off the ships. When we were on The Jade last Oct., I thought it weird that there were no straws at the beverage stations. I would go to the bar and get one. No, I don't use straws at home, but, when we're on a cruise I drink different beverages usually ones that contain lots of ice.

Sorry, I probably will take my own now that I'm aware of the shortage. I will also be careful about disposing of them. I have no problem with reusing them as long as my drink is still there when I turn my back!:D

Plastic bags are going away whether you like it or not. Ca. has already banned them and it is working it's way across the US.

Calif hasn't banned them, you just have to pay for them now. And since there's now a charge, they have to provide bags that are sturdier than the flimsy ones we're all used to. That's according to my family that lives in Calif.