Planning group Alaska cruise for first time cruisers over 50. Need opinions please

melpollard

Which cruise line and why  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise line and why

• Celebrity
    • Princess
    • Norwegian
    • Holland america
    • Other

Hi, we are planning a group tour of Alaska inside passage for mostly first time cruisers with our group Gransonthego.com. I am interested in opinions on the following criteria. Cost is a consideration. Please advise on which ships you would suggest for such a group.

Ships with indoor pools;

Ships with good communication systems for groups onboard;

Would plan on scheduling 2 group dinners for approximately 16 people;

Prefer a good naturalist;

Will not consider Carnival, but are open to other cruiselines.

Please please please work with an established travel agent. Let them deal with the logistics of the payments and booking. Just be the group coordinator.

(No, I do not have a recommended travel agent. Besides, the board rules forbid recommending travel agents.)

I can't comment on group cruises, but highly recommend Princess for Alaska, as well as the age group. We're in that age bracket and went to Alaska a few years ago, and had a tremendous experience. Here's why:

* Princess has been doing Alaska for a very long time and is skilled at it

* The experience was enhanced by a set of terrific speakers

* The cruise was built around the experience--e.g., salmon buffet

* They have the rights to cruise Glacier Bay, which is stupendous for its scenery

* There are elements you can add to the cruise; Princess has its own lodge in Denali, for example

Hope this helps. - Musing About Cruising

Princess or HAL, most permits to Glacier Bay.

We did HAL with 10 people, from 10 years old on up to 70 year olds. HAL has a younger demographic on Alaska, but because of so many multi-generational groups. Not sure if I can help with dinner for 16, we ate in the MDR every night and we were lucky to get the only 10 person table (we were on the Oosterdam).

In Glacier Bay the National Park Service had a ranger come on board to talk about what we were seeing and about Alaska in general. Split Pea soup and hot cocoa on deck the entire time we were in the bay.

I second having a travel agent be responsible for booking, collecting fares and logistics- you do not want to be the person who handles the complaints if anything happens.

Decide how much you will do together BEFORE you board. Our group of 10, all family had only one time we would do something together, dinner, every night. We also only decided on one excursion together. The rest of the time we did our own thing. I know people who have traveled together and had to do breakfast, lunch and dinner together plus other things. Wrecked their trip and their cruise. Unless you like that much togetherness really think before you walk up the gangway on how much togetherness is reasonable.

Not sure about on board communication and what you are looking for. We are the post it notes, leaving messages on stateroom phones and appointed meet up times (and we are early 50's!). As I said before, our only rule was dinner in the MDR so we knew we would see everyone there.

Our ship and both an outdoor pool and a covered pool. Most sailing to Alaska will have this feature.

Cost can vary, depending on what type of cabin, where on the ship it is and if you are doing a one way or a round trip you need to factor in airfare. We did round trip out of Seattle just because of air.

Second finding a brick and mortar travel agent you would trust who specializes in cruises. They can be very helpful.

Would plan on scheduling 2 group dinners for approximately 16 people....

Hi there. Did you mean dinner together in the dining room for all 16 people? There isn't a table for 16 people and further, it's really hard to talk to each other when the table gets that large. I would suggest 2 tables of 8 next to each other, and even 3 tables of 5/6 would be great. This way, you can rotate around each night and have fun talking to everyone.

If you choose Traditional Dining (main or late fixed seating), be sure to have the reservations linked so you can sit close to each other. If you take Anytime or My Time Dining (whatever your line calls it), make reservations for the tables as it would be too difficult to accommodate everyone without a reservation (you'd have to wait a long time, in my opinion).

Have fun.

Princess or HAL, most permits to Glacier Bay.

We did HAL with 10 people, from 10 years old on up to 70 year olds. HAL has a younger demographic on Alaska, but because of so many multi-generational groups. Not sure if I can help with dinner for 16, we ate in the MDR every night and we were lucky to get the only 10 person table (we were on the Oosterdam).

In Glacier Bay the National Park Service had a ranger come on board to talk about what we were seeing and about Alaska in general. Split Pea soup and hot cocoa on deck the entire time we were in the bay.

I second having a travel agent be responsible for booking, collecting fares and logistics- you do not want to be the person who handles the complaints if anything happens.

Decide how much you will do together BEFORE you board. Our group of 10, all family had only one time we would do something together, dinner, every night. We also only decided on one excursion together. The rest of the time we did our own thing. I know people who have traveled together and had to do breakfast, lunch and dinner together plus other things. Wrecked their trip and their cruise. Unless you like that much togetherness really think before you walk up the gangway on how much togetherness is reasonable.

Not sure about on board communication and what you are looking for. We are the post it notes, leaving messages on stateroom phones and appointed meet up times (and we are early 50's!). As I said before, our only rule was dinner in the MDR so we knew we would see everyone there.

Our ship and both an outdoor pool and a covered pool. Most sailing to Alaska will have this feature.

Cost can vary, depending on what type of cabin, where on the ship it is and if you are doing a one way or a round trip you need to factor in airfare. We did round trip out of Seattle just because of air.

Second finding a brick and mortar travel agent you would trust who specializes in cruises. They can be very helpful.

HAL has a younger demographic :confused::confused::confused:

I think the OP should opt for PCL.

In Alaska, HAL in very multi-generational as are many of their school break time 7-10 day cruises.

We are in our 40's with kids and mostly cruise HAL. Our Alaska cruise with them was exceptional. HAL may not be everyone's cup of tea in other parts of the world but in Alaska I think they really shine.

I've done the round-trip Seattle cruise with Princess twice and the past, and will be going again in a few weeks with some family members who have never been to AK.

I especially like that Princess has a local narrator onboard to offer talks on Alaska's history and other interesting info about AK, as well as commentary as we travel along. They often also point out things to see that are of interest, such as glaciers up in the mountains as the ship does scenic cruising. Both of my cruises included scenic cruising of Tracy Arm Fjord, which I find exceptionally beautiful. That's the same itinerary that we will be doing next month, and I am very much looking forward to it.

We opted to go later in the AK season, as there should be a lot fewer children onboard. Another advantage is that the chances of getting all the way up to the base of the glacier at the inner end of Tracy Arm fjord are better than early in the season, when there are sometimes too many icebergs to be able to get all the way in.

In Alaska, HAL in very multi-generational as are many of their school break time 7-10 day cruises.

We are in our 40's with kids and mostly cruise HAL. Our Alaska cruise with them was exceptional. HAL may not be everyone's cup of tea in other parts of the world but in Alaska I think they really shine.

Agreed! We picked HAL because my parents are long time HAL cruisers and it was their 50th wedding anniversary. There were people of all ages on the ship, and Ashland must not have noticed I said on "Alaska" sailings. We went in thinking our four kids might be in the minority, but hey, the cousins could entertain each other and Alaska is very port intensive. The kids would live if it would make grandma and grandpa happy. If the group was trying to stay away from kids I was pointing out HAL would not be the line for that in Alaska. FYI, I noticed more scooters, walkers and wheelchairs on our Harmony cruise a year ago than I did on our Alaska HAL cruise.

Princess might also be a good choice (it was our second choice, but might as well have the HAL cruisers get their points and bonuses).

Things I really liked about HAL. Fresh flowers everywhere! Wonderful and attentive staff as well. A bit of the way I might have imagined cruising was like before rock walls and flow riders :)

Not sure what you mean about good communication on the ship? I agree on going to a travel agent. They can try and get everyone on the same deck and close to each other. Maybe even adjoining cabins. I recommend an itinerary with Glacier Bay.

Agreed! We picked HAL because my parents are long time HAL cruisers and it was their 50th wedding anniversary. There were people of all ages on the ship, and Ashland must not have noticed I said on "Alaska" sailings. We went in thinking our four kids might be in the minority, but hey, the cousins could entertain each other and Alaska is very port intensive. The kids would live if it would make grandma and grandpa happy. If the group was trying to stay away from kids I was pointing out HAL would not be the line for that in Alaska. FYI, I noticed more scooters, walkers and wheelchairs on our Harmony cruise a year ago than I did on our Alaska HAL cruise.

Princess might also be a good choice (it was our second choice, but might as well have the HAL cruisers get their points and bonuses).

Things I really liked about HAL. Fresh flowers everywhere! Wonderful and attentive staff as well. A bit of the way I might have imagined cruising was like before rock walls and flow riders :)

I "noticed" and since I had never heard this fact, that was why I was :confused::confused::confused:

No reason for you to assume any negativity in my post. I was actually interested to hear this comment about HAL in Alaska.

One big advantage that Hal has over the others, is that there is a closing glass roof over the pool.

That space is wonderful on a cooler or wetter day.

I second this. We have taken 3 cooler weather cruises in the past few years and the lido pool space with the roof closed is so nice. Loved just sitting out there and enjoying a drink while scenic cruising.

So specific ships for Alaska got HAL and Princess?

Must have covered pool.

In and out of Vancouver/Seattle only.

If we book main dining for group together, can people vary and some do anytime dining and some specialty dining? We don’t have to be at same table. There are now 40 of us.

A few may want to add a land portion and fly to Anchorage upon return to port.

For Princess you've got the Coral, Island, and Golden with covered pools. We did a northbound Island Princess and southbound Golden Princess this year.

I did a "live from" on both of them in May and June on my blog...here is May's. I also have links to several of our other cruises to Alaska (15 in total). It might be helpful to take a look around there and see what Alaska - and Princess Cruises - have going for them.

Alaska is amazing. We just can't get enough!