Trans Atlantic Sea Days

njkate

May I ask which ship you preferred & why? We will be doing a TA next April and are trying to decide between Jade, Star and Epic. Thank you

If it were us, we'd pick Epic over Jade and Star. bigger mega ships are great for TAs - wider range of activities, more (and better) dining venues.

But there are people who will tell you no, either the Star or Jade would be better, Epic is too big.

But for us, the bigger the better because it's our floating hotel for 2 weeks so we have the time to cover the whole ship and be able to do different things each day.

If all else was equal I’d pick Jade because of The Great Outdoors. There is no place better to watch the waves pass by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Bluesea. Not sure about the “big” ship but still considering it. As Clay said, the Great Outdoors is a big draw for us. We have until December to make up our minds.

Yes, the Great Outdoors can be a big draw, but on the Jade TA we didn't use it much - it would depend on the weather and wind.

The waterfront on the Getaway was great though.

But for activities and variety of dining options we prefer the mega ships since there are a lot of sea days.

For the port intensive cruises we prefer smaller ships - the Spirit (oldest and smallest) has become one of our fave ships!

May I ask which ship you preferred & why? We will be doing a TA next April and are trying to decide between Jade, Star and Epic. Thank you

Just my two cents, I prefer the smaller ships over the megas, that said I imagine even though all cabins may be sold out, the passenger load is less because from what I've read on these threads it's mostly solos or two in a cabin.

The Jade which I'm booked on for April 2019 has an amazing itinerary if you have never been to the ports.

Supposedly they are throwing the Pearl into the mix for April as well, departing from NYC with stops in England, France and Ireland ending in Amsterdam, supposedly it will hit the NCL website on 07/31

We also prefer the smaller ships and really love the Great Outdoors. We've not sailed on the Jade yet and are really looking forward to her upgrades, the Great Outdoors and the refreshed observation lounge -- all the elements we enjoy the most!

how was the cruise was it scary and bumpy or?

Our first TA was last March. It wasn’t scary but we did have long rolling swells for most of the crossing which made for some difficulties walking around the ship. The Captain reminded everyone to walk low and wide and always hold the handrail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our cruise was April 2018 - my first cruise and a TA.... it wasn't scary and it wasn't bumpy ... it was actually delightful.

what cruiseline were you on? Norwegian Epic? I'm going TA next April 27th but I'm a little nerveous, my brother died in March and he had a TA booked for April 7th 2018 with Norwegian Epic so I thought I would do the same cruise next April

• 1 month later...

I’ll be on the TA cruise out of NY April 28 to May 12, 2019. I’m curious what kind of weather others have experienced on spring TA Cruises, obviously weather is different year to year, just trying to get a feel for what to expect!

Sounds like I may need to learn how to play bridge!

Thanks!

I’ll be on the TA cruise out of NY April 28 to May 12, 2019. I’m curious what kind of weather others have experienced on spring TA Cruises, obviously weather is different year to year, just trying to get a feel for what to expect!

Sounds like I may need to learn how to play bridge! ��

Thanks!

we went on a TA last April -- Port Canaveral to Barcelona -- weather was beautiful except in Bermuda - rain! but crossing the Atlantic was fabulous and smooth - pool weather! enjoy

Sea days are my favourite, for me it’s all about doing what I want when I want. It’s my time to seriously relax. My TA will be with my brother who lives overseas, his will be our time to catch up, have a drink ( or 10) and reconnect.

When looking a cruise I only look at ones that give me at least 2-3 sea days.

Have fun doing what YOU want to do.

April 2018 NYC to Southampton on the Breakaway. The first two days were a little bumpy but the rest was smooth. The spa pool is great when the seas are rolling, just hang on to the railings! I had so much I wanted to do, 12 days wasn't long enough. The entertainment, port history lectures, loose slots(!) and other activities were all really good. Sitting outside between the garden cafe and the pool area with my kindle was almost as nice as the Great Outdoors on the smaller ships. After the Epic and Breakaway I prefer the bigger ships.

Just my two cents, I prefer the smaller ships over the megas, that said I imagine even though all cabins may be sold out, the passenger load is less because from what I've read on these threads it's mostly solos or two in a cabin.

The Jade which I'm booked on for April 2019 has an amazing itinerary if you have never been to the ports.

Supposedly they are throwing the Pearl into the mix for April as well, departing from NYC with stops in England, France and Ireland ending in Amsterdam, supposedly it will hit the NCL website on 07/31

We will also be on the Jade TA. We sailed on the Star TA last April from Miami to Barcelona, this was our first NCL cruise and we enjoyed it enough to book the Jade. I also prefer this size ship to the Mega ships.

Pat

Did a TA May 9 - 23 from Barcelona to NYC by way of Lisbon and Halifax, no problems with the sea or the weather. Only problem was it was a Carnival ship, not a lot of activities, some of the trivia were repeated.

We were on this same cruise, surprised you couldn't find enough activities to keep busy. I thought the sea days flew by because there was so much to do on the Horizon. Of course, we never feel the need to be entertained on a cruise, we love the feel of spur of the moment and spontaneous activities so we never plan ahead.

Pat

Transatlantic is my favourite cruise!! Loads to do: game shows, trivia, poolside games, wii, hot tubs, pool deck activities dependent on ship, food, drink, meeting like minded people, reading books, playing board games etc.... I love sea days!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been on five transatlantics and two of them were with NCL. NCL's activities aren't like some of the other cruise lines. RCL offered dance classes in the afternoon that were hosted by a comped professional dance couple. NCL's were few and taught by a crew member and many were at night during the dinner hour.

No lectures on NCL while other lines comp some really interesting people.

Besides trivia, bingo, and how to fold towel animals or a dollar bill, NCL was very weak on activities.

Through CC's roll call, we found a large group of passengers who met in the back of the Windjammer to play cards or other games with. We made our own fun.

I have been on 2 cruise lines for a TA, 5 TA total.

IMO, NCL had much more of a variety of offerings for things to do than Celebrity. I believe it depends on what each person is looking for.

For example, we would not be interested in dance classes so we would think this is not a good offering, but there were a lot of other different choices.

TA are always fun and relaxing for us. :):)