Recommended tip amount for Rome porters

This is what I do as a Brit and a European ...

On embarkation, I do not tip the luggage handlers who take your bags. It is generally not expected. In my experience, the majority of people do not tip at European ports.

On disembarkation, I do tip the porter 5 to 10 Euros. Sometimes more. Here it is an optional service available to assist me with my bags and in my opinion a tip is expected. It is my view that the majority do tip in this situation.

At restaurants, service is included so I give a small tip usually one or two Euros. I would say it is discretionary and not obligatory.

Taxis I round up or give an extra euro.

Private tour guides - I give 5 to 10 Euros in appreciation if it is a good tour.

Much of my tipping policy is discretionary and personal. It is hard to judge what's appropriate when travelling to another country but having travelled quite a bit in Spain and Italy, I believe it is in line with local customs.

This is what I do as a Brit and a European ...

On embarkation, I do not tip the luggage handlers who take your bags. It is generally not expected. In my experience, the majority of people do not tip at European ports.

On disembarkation, I do tip the porter 5 to 10 Euros. Sometimes more. Here it is an optional service available to assist me with my bags and in my opinion a tip is expected. It is my view that the majority do tip in this situation.

At restaurants, service is included so I give a small tip usually one or two Euros. I would say it is discretionary and not obligatory.

Taxis I round up or give an extra euro.

Private tour guides - I give 5 to 10 Euros in appreciation if it is a good tour.

Much of my tipping policy is discretionary and personal. It is hard to judge what's appropriate when travelling to another country but having travelled quite a bit in Spain and Italy, I believe it is in line with local customs.

This is more or less what I do too but I think the big difference is that in Europe there is never the expectation that a tip is obligatory and no one is going to give you a mouthful of abuse if you don't give one.

I think that a lot of Europeans (myself included) find it slightly tacky when Americans come over here and start throwing around large amounts of cash, it's just not the done thing here, although of course a small token is always appreciated.

Julie

Europe does not have a no tipping culture! ......You do not have to tip e.g. tour guides.

While you never HAVE TO tip anyone, in my experience it IS expected that one will tip a tour guide in Europe. Generally when booking tours, I've read verbiage that indicates what is and is not included in the tour price, and there is usually mention that the price does not include a tip for the guide, but also something indicating that it is customary to give them a tip if you have enjoyed their guiding services.

Serious question, would it make a difference if you learned that the porter's were paid a wage of 80,000 pounds? I ask because that is the situation in the states. The porter's all are part of the longshoreman union and their average wage is over $100,000.

Serious answer.

It wouldn't make any difference at all.

I tip the potter in the USA because I’m afraid they can “mess” with my luggage and I want it to get to my stateroom, they are not employees of royal Caribbean directly.

But it’s ridiculous to tip more than 3$ when they basically get the luggage from your hand and place it in a big cart.

Last but not least, I read in here that most people tip the porters and they give a really good tip but if you just stand by the posters reality is something different. Most people won’t tip them at all even when the passengers don’t have luggage tags and they give your one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tip the potter in the USA because I’m afraid they can “mess” with my luggage and I want it to get to my stateroom, they are not employees of royal Caribbean directly.

But it’s ridiculous to tip more than 3$ when they basically get the luggage from your hand and place it in a big cart.

Last but not least, I read in here that most people tip the porters and they give a really good tip but if you just stand by the posters reality is something different. Most people won’t tip them at all even when the passengers don’t have luggage tags and they give your one.

But that’s not a tip that’s extortion

Serious question, would it make a difference if you learned that the porter's were paid a wage of 80,000 pounds? I ask because that is the situation in the states. The porter's all are part of the longshoreman union and their average wage is over $100,000.

As my husband always said, “being an auto mechanic is not an old man’s job”. Neither is being a luggage porter. They aren’t doing that job for $100k a year for 40 years, so some extra income while they are doing it helps in the long run.

Who am I to decide whether the porter “needs” my tip? They are hauling my 50lb suitcase around, and I APPRECIATE it!! A smile, a thank you, and a small tip is what I do.

If it's correct that porters can earn $100,000 why would they take the chance of losing that job because someone didn't give them a couple of $$.

As my husband always said, “being an auto mechanic is not an old man’s job”. Neither is being a luggage porter. They aren’t doing that job for $100k a year for 40 years, so some extra income while they are doing it helps in the long run.

Who am I to decide whether the porter “needs” my tip? They are hauling my 50lb suitcase around, and I APPRECIATE it!! A smile, a thank you, and a small tip is what I do.

Well, no, they don't do the job for 40 years because they have a lucrative pension plan that makes that unnecessary.

I don't tip my auto mechanic.

I tip in 2 circumstances:

1) when I know the person is paid substandard wages in the expectation that gratuities will bring their income to a standard level (which is why I would NEVER remove autograts), and

2) where the person has truly exceeded my expectations in how the way they did their job enhanced my experience (which is why I am very selective in who I give a cash tip on board - I don't do routine extra tipping for routine service)

Luggage porters at portside fit neither one.

Maybe you should pack less.:D

Nah, I'd rather tip the porters. Win-win: they make extra money, and I get all my stuff with me. I have actually been complimented by airline check-in on my exact-or-under-by-4oz packing jobs!:D

The porters who take your bag dockside are not the ones who deliver said bags to the cabins! In America, $1-2 per bag is customary. There have been times when the porters are so busy they don't wait around for tips....they sling the bags onto the cart and are gone!

it was my understanding that the porters are hourly workers, not salaried longshoremen.

it was my understanding that the porters are hourly workers, not salaried longshoremen.

If anyone tried to put anything on a ship at a US port who was not part of the longshoreman's union, making longshoreman's wages, the union would shut down the whole port. So your understanding is wrong. Longshoreman ARE paid hourly wages, but hourly wages that average out to over 6 figures per annum. If you embark on a Sunday, that porter you tip is making double time or more.