Oceania vs. Celebrity suites

islandchick

We are considering Oceania as we are foodies and they are supposed to have the best food. We were just off Celebrity suites which has their own restaurant Luminae and thought the food and service were very good. Has anyone been on both recently that can tell me the differences in food and service quality?

Please do a search for Celebrity vs Oceania (and v.v.) - many threads with lots of info.

If you still have questions after that please ask specific questions.

Good luck.

FWIW - IMO there is a big difference between the 2 lines in every aspect (including price :))

I have done my research. I am a regular Celebrity cruiser and am well aware of the cost differences. I have found many threads but mostly vague. If you don't have an answer to the question posted I am not sure why you are chiming in.

• Like 1

We are considering Oceania as we are foodies and they are supposed to have the best food. We were just off Celebrity suites which has their own restaurant Luminae and thought the food and service were very good. Has anyone been on both recently that can tell me the differences in food and service quality?

I'll have to use the Riviera compared to the Eclipse. Luminae is a nice restaurant, but you still have to wait for a table. Unlike say.. the Queens Grill on Cunard, where the table is yours for the duration of the trip(breakfast/lunch & dinner)The GDR(Grand Dining Room) on the Riviera is similar, where you have to wait for a table. The food though very good, is not up to the Luminae standards. The specialty rest. on Riviera, however are much better(overall) than Luminae(most especially Jacques) Service quality on both are similar, though I feel it is a step above on Oceania(just more attention to detail & personalized service). Try tea service for instance. Afternoon Tea is quite important to us & Celebrity has NOTHING like it. You have wonderful savory bites & decadent sweets, accompanied by an excellent string quartet. Both lines' have butlers for the suites & the ones on Oceania are somewhat more professionally trained.(but they're both good on either line) I would say if you do suites, both lines will satisfy. If you sometimes do standard rooms(which we do), then Oceania is far superior. Concierge level is better on Oceania as well. Do remember that Oceania ships are smaller overall, so there are more staff per person than on more mass market lines like Celebrity. You will find however, that entertainment on Oceania will take a real back seat to the food, with the exception of the excellent string quartet. We did 3 trips on Eclipse & felt the quality diminished a lot from just the prior year. That's the reason we jumped to Oceania for a 10 day trip this past Jan.(we normally did 14 days on Eclipse)We had a 14 day trip on the Reflection scheduled for this Jan. We cancelled it & booked a 14 day trip again on the Riviera. I'd give Oceania a try & judge for yourself.

Edited by keithm

I have done my research. I am a regular Celebrity cruiser and am well aware of the cost differences. I have found many threads but mostly vague. If you don't have an answer to the question posted I am not sure why you are chiming in.

CHILL OUT Island Chick. :)

I have been reading Paulchili's posts for years.

I have found him to be informative, accurate , respectful and a positive addition to all posts.

I think you may have misinterpreted his response.

😀

• Like 1

OP, your query is rather timely.

Celebrity currently (not in the past) is a mass line with fixation on class segmentation, elimination of linkage to the ocean, nickle and diming and revenue generation and creating Vegas at sea.

Oceania is a premium line where guests mingle and eat in the same venues, little segmentation. Many venues to enjoy the ocean. More emphasis on the past traditional aspects of cruising.

Very different philosophies.

Up to you to decide what you want for a cruise vacation. Both cruise lines are excellent, but very different.

We generally booked the PH or RS on Celebrity and a Vista Suite on Oceania. I’ve never been impressed with Luminae and didn’t care for their lunch menus and many of the dinner menus, so we usually dined in Murano. We don’t care for Tuscan so that eliminated that alternate venue for us. Since Celebrity kept increasing prices and lowering everything, we switched to Oceania 3 years ago. We love the O class ships and the excellent alternate dining venues. We are foodies also, and O fits our requirements perfectly.

BTW, Paulchili has very good information and really didn’t deserve admonishment. Many people here will “chime In” with comments.

The reference to price difference was meant to indicate that, in this case at least, you get what you pay for. You pay more but also get more (and better) on Oceania.

JMO.

Well let’s see, you can listen to Paul who has been on 25 to 30 Oceania cruises, or some others on this thread that have been on 1. Your choice

Hey, you're right! I've been on a number of Celebrity cruises & so far 1 Riviera cruise. Instead of sniping from the sidelines, why don't you try to answer the OP's question?

I sail both lines with numerous cruises on each. I have also had Vista Suite and Owners Suite on O and CS on X. I cruise for itinerary 1st and timing of cruise. (fav times are Spring and Fall when school is in session). Last X cruise was for a month on Solstice and last O cruise was for a month on Insignia. I have also spent close to 3 weeks on Riviera.

Best butler ever was on X in the CS. Free internet, free premium bev package, included gratuities, and OBC. Cost is not a factor when choosing, but definitely save more going with X.

Food is subjective, and although Luminae is always available it can get tiring after a month. We change the dining venue numerous times and eat at specialities often. We love the Terrace Cafe for a casual evening on O (my fav of all cruise lines for a buffet). We like fresh, good quality food and avoid overindulging on every cruise we take.

I do not cruise for the food but for the experience of seeing the world.

I do not like the outdoor pool area on X and prefer the smaller, quieter pool area on O.

Same with the gym, O is much nicer and quiet.

DH loves the larger X because he is not big on socializing and feels he can get lost in the numerous areas vs always having to bump into someone and make chit chat on the smaller ships.

We thoroughly enjoy both, but would take the CS and amenities on X vs smaller cabin on O if cost was the defining factor.

Off on our 1st Viking cruise next month and will see what all of the fanfare is about :)

• Like 2

one consideration for a suite passenger is that on O , once out of the suite your sharing the ship with about 1000 others, restaurants /dining, space and service On Celebrity, you sharing it with almost 3000 !!

Not really true on Celebrity. Suites have their own private restaurant and their own private lounge where free drinks flow all day. And on the soon to be launched Edge, they'll have their own private outdoor deck with pool.

Hey, you're right! I've been on a number of Celebrity cruises & so far 1 Riviera cruise. Instead of sniping from the sidelines, why don't you try to answer the OP's question?

The reason I haven’t answered the OP is that I’ve never been in a suite on Celebrity, although I have been on Oceania, unlike some others. I have been on over 15 cruises on Celebrity and 20 on Oceania. So I could compare the two lines, but that’s not what the OP asked.

My last Celebrity cruise was in May of 2016 and we were in a Royal Suite so had Luminae and all of those perks. We thought the food was better than what we had traditionally had. But then the following February 2017 we took our first Oceania cruise on the Riveria and have not looked back. We found the food, even in the main dining room, to be better. Like someone else posted we love the Terrace for evening where I have never considered the buffet for dinner on other lines. I have now been on 2 Oceania cruises and have my 3rd one booked. I am not even considering going back to Celebrity and I can say food has a lot to do with this. I realize my experience is 2 years old but that is the comparison I can give. Julia

• Like 1

Sounds like O is a little better food wise. I have seen numerous posts that the food has deteriorated on O and did not want to book with O and be disappointed. Our experience on Celebrity in suite class has been great for food and service. When we were not in suites we would usually only eat in specialty venues which are also really good. While we love Celebrity we are ready to have a change once in a while. I would hate to book something more expensive in a smaller room and have the food and service not exceed our Celebrity experience. Thanks to all for the info.

Sounds like O is a little better food wise. I have seen numerous posts that the food has deteriorated on O and did not want to book with O and be disappointed. Our experience on Celebrity in suite class has been great for food and service. When we were not in suites we would usually only eat in specialty venues which are also really good. While we love Celebrity we are ready to have a change once in a while. I would hate to book something more expensive in a smaller room and have the food and service not exceed our Celebrity experience. Thanks to all for the info.

The Riviera had among the best food we've ever had at sea. Only the Queens Grill on the QM2 was a little better & that's because you can venture off menu. If it's deteriorated, it must have been absolutely incredible! I'd still say give them a chance & see for yourself.

Soooo..

To get a good product...

1) Now, on Celebrity you have to isolate yourself in the current and future "suite experience" - be isolated in suite only entrance to the ship lines, separate food and pool areas etc. Same as the MSC yacht club and other variants

OR

2) Go on Oceania/Azamara/Viking - and the entire ship and guests are available to you with the same or higher quality than Celebrity

People have to decide for themselves.

I want to be able to traverse the entire ship and have an "adult beverage" with everyone on the same cruise and have dinner with any one on the same voyage.

As I have posted before, it is a philosophical decision in many ways.

Soooo..

To get a good product...

1) Now, on Celebrity you have to isolate yourself in the current and future "suite experience" - be isolated in suite only entrance to the ship lines, separate food and pool areas etc. Same as the MSC yacht club and other variants

OR

2) Go on Oceania/Azamara/Viking - and the entire ship and guests are available to you with the same or higher quality than Celebrity

I want to be able to traverse the entire ship and have an "adult beverage" with everyone on the same cruise and have dinner with any one on the same voyage.

No, you don’t have to do anything. I always book a 1a on Celebrity. I enjoy huge balconies and we book a 5 or 6 night Specialty dinner package. I don’t need to isolate myself at all to enjoy Celebrity. I was pointing out the suite perks.

Imo. Luminae is as good as any food on oceania. That’s where the similarity ends

Everything else is far superior on oceania. You will get a great meal in the buffet or specialties.

The buffet on celebrity is to be avoided both with respect to food and ambiance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Soooo..

To get a good product...

OR

Again Its that your confined to a special private refuge from everything else... one 1/15 of the ship is your area the other 14/15th's are filled with the other 2,800 throng if you are brave enough to venture out. Seems so silly all this exclusive this and that... Celeb loves to push their class system to the hilt... show everyone how much better you are, ...Gimme a break... Reminds me of the Prince and the Pauper story.

• Like 1

Again Its that your confined to a special private refuge from everything else... one 1/15 of the ship is your area the other 14/15th's are filled with the other 2,800 throng if you are brave enough to venture out. Seems so silly all this exclusive this and that... Celeb loves to push their class system to the hilt... show everyone how much better you are, ...Gimme a break... Reminds me of the Prince and the Pauper story.

It’s interesting where lines get drawn on the class system. Suites having a separate restaurant on Celebrity doesn’t bother me. Getting the dregs on Specialty dinner reservations when the suites are done on O does bother me

• Like 1

If you want to see a class system, try MSC. If you're Yacht Club on Seaside and touch your card to get an elevator, it clears the other choices and takes you right to your private floor. I also had a crew member cut the line with some YC passengers while we were waiting to get back on the ship in a port. They were using the same entrance for people who were leaving and coming back and we were waiting for the people to leave and this guy puts up his Yacht Club sign and walks right past us with his guests.

Personally, I don't care that Celebrity does what they do. If people want to spend that much money to get the perks, that's fine.

Oddly, MSC did not have reserved seating for YC passengers in the theater. Celebrity does that (and that part does annoy me a bit, especially when most of the seats are empty until they get released right before the show starts).