Eateries in ports

BENHANDEL

I am sure this has been addressed many times before, but as a newbie to these message boards I'm having a hard time searching for my questions. Feel free to direct me to a thread where this has been discussed before.

I am wondering where I can get recommendations for food and restaurant options in the ports.

As much as possible in the limited time, we want to explore the area and eat local food, if there is anything interesting/safe/recommended.

Jamaica- Christmas day, no excursions booked.

Grand Caymen-

Coral Gardens and Stingray Sandbar Excursion booked for morning.

Cozumel- dolphin swim, buffet lunch and Beach Excursion schedule. With that Excursion, I assume we won't need an additional lunch? But I am wondering what the options might be and how they stack up to what we get on that boat.

TIA for your insights and expertise, or linking me to places where I can see other threads on this topic.

Jamaica- Christmas day, with no excursions booked eat on the ship, nothing at the port.

Grand Cayman- A few places Margaritaville is one but bring your wallet.:D

Coz - quite a few at the port to choose from.

ask a local, anywhere that's not an American chain. Why anyone would go to a foreign country and go to Margaritaville, Hard Rock, Fat Tuesdays, or Senor Frogs is beyond me? Many times our shore best excursion are getting in a cab, doing a tour, taking him out to lunch at a local's place, and enjoy the local food and culture,

You did not mention where in Jamaica you will be going to. But if you are going to Montego Bay a great place to eat is scotchies. They have traditional Jamaican Jerk Chicken & Ribs. It is very close to the pier a short cab ride. A great way to spend the day is to go to doctor's cave Beach and Margaritaville! They are within walking distance of one another. Doctor's cave Beach is beautiful and safe

I'm not sure how much time you'll have in Cozumel after your excursion so it's hard to say there. Depending on what pier your ship docks at, there should be places to grab something nearby.

In Grand Cayman, we're going to Margaritaville after a diy trip to the beach. Yes, it's touristy. It's also fun and we enjoy it. I need to get a hat anyway so might as well get a drink too.

I enjoy eating in port personally as long as we have time.

You did not mention where in Jamaica you will be going to. But if you are going to Montego Bay a great place to eat is scotchies. They have traditional Jamaican Jerk Chicken & Ribs. It is very close to the pier a short cab ride. A great way to spend the day is to go to doctor's cave Beach and Margaritaville! They are within walking distance of one another. Doctor's cave Beach is beautiful and safe

We will be in Ochos Rios. Such a newbie that when I posted I did not realize their were others, lol.

We were in Ocho Rios last year.... got off the ship and started walking. Mistake..... we were never alone. People walked along with us, trying to sell things, asking for money. I didn't feel threatened but felt VERY uncomfortable. Husband and I could not carry on a conversation because of all the very close interruptions. Personally, I would not leave the ship without an excursion in Ocho Rios.

ask a local, anywhere that's not an American chain. Why anyone would go to a foreign country and go to Margaritaville, Hard Rock, Fat Tuesdays, or Senor Frogs is beyond me? Many times our shore best excursion are getting in a cab, doing a tour, taking him out to lunch at a local's place, and enjoy the local food and culture,

One thing to realize, that American chain restaurant food, outside the US (and even different areas of the US), may not be the same as served in the US.

KFC in the Caribbean has more a jerk spice flavor. McDs has offerings that differ from the US. In another thread, someone mentioned the Big Macs in Japan have wasabi in the sauce.

McDs has offerings that differ from the US. In another thread, someone mentioned the Big Macs in Japan have wasabi in the sauce.

and its YUMMY. you can also get teriyaki sauce on your burger.

If Jamaica is anything like Nassau, pretty much nothing will be open on Christmas Day.

Margaritaville you go for a drink and whatever souvenir you collect with the location name( for us it's beer coozies)

ask the crew rather than the locals. the locals have an ulterior move for recommending a particular place.( cousin owns it, they get a kickback, etc)

H

ask the crew rather than the locals. the locals have an ulterior move for recommending a particular place.( cousin owns it, they get a kickback, etc)

Of course, the locals might have an ulterior motive, but if your aim is to find a place known to locals and not a US chain, it still makes sense. That “cousin” might just run the best place in town.

One thing to realize, that American chain restaurant food, outside the US (and even different areas of the US), may not be the same as served in the US.

Still, these are not local eateries. Not in any way.

If someone came to your city/town and asked where to get some good local food, would you recommend McDonalds? :confused:

Since I was born and raised in NYC, I have developed a decent amount of street sense. My first time in Ocho Rios I saw some appalling conditions, but I still felt safe walking to a local restaurant to sample some jerk chicken.

My most recent port stop there impressed me with how much conditions have changed for the better. Roads were fully paved and brightly marked, workers were weeding and landscaping, there was less litter on the streets there than some good old USA cities.

"One love, mon" "Yo brudda wassup" and "NoNoNo I don smoke it no more" works wonders.

I will get flamed for this post, but for true foodies the Caribbean ports leave so much to be desired that one is usually better off eating on the ship. Yes, there are some excellent restaurants in the Caribbean such as in Grand Case, St Martin (these places were all but destroyed last year). And there are islands like St Barts that have many world-class restaurants. But most of the best restaurants are not even open for lunch and in many overly commercial ports (like St Thomas) the pickings are slim. As to the tourist traps like Margaritaville, Carlos and Charlies, etc....they are simply that....tourist traps that can be fun. But there cuisine might be as good as your basis Applebee's ....on a good day.

The situation is much different when you cruise in Europe and Asia...where there are many great restaurants that even serve lunch. But many cruisers decide to skip the cuisine in favor of cramming in lots of other site seeing. But my advice to the OP is book yourself a cruise in the Med or elsewhere in Europe and spend some of your port days (and even nights) enjoying the amazing cuisine.

Hank

If you are going to be on a ship that normally does these ports, ask crew members where they eat in each. They always seem to know the best places. (y)

You must be kidding. Crew members can certainly tell you where to find free WiFi (that is their priority) but when it comes to cuisine we have never found them a great source.

Hank

San Juan... Parrot Club we have been enjoying lunch there for years.

Doubt if you will eat there again since the place has been permanently closed! They were so good they could no longer stand themselves.

Hank

My strategy on both cruises and land vacations is to notice what eateries are busy when I'm walking around. If there's a long line of locals, chances are the food is good and reasonably priced. That food might be different from what I'm used to, but that's part of travel.

Literal hole-in-the-wall taquerias, run down looking shacks, very plain cafes with plastic chairs ---- I've had some amazing meals at places like this. The best tamales of my life were from a lady with a card table set up in front of her house.

You must be kidding. Crew members can certainly tell you where to find free WiFi (that is their priority) but when it comes to cuisine we have never found them a great source.

Hank

In addition, they are on ships to earn, not spend, money. Their food on board is included - they are not likely to play traveling gourmet for the few hours they get ashore.

You get much better advice from discerning CC posters who have travelled.

To the OP. Regardless of what you do and where you eat or drink. Remember to note the time the ship leaves or in Grand Cayman when the last tender leaves.

Otherwise we may see you on YouTube under "pier runners" :cool:

Still, these are not local eateries. Not in any way.

If someone came to your city/town and asked where to get some good local food, would you recommend McDonalds? :confused:

No, but my point was, don't discount them for a different meal that you would get at home.

Even different areas of the US have differences. In Hawaii you can get Portuguese sausage, rice and eggs for breakfast in McDs. Or ramen noodles for lunch/dinner.

Just letting people know.

Also a number of people have recommended Margaritaville, which is another American chain. :D