Will HAL prepare a picnic lunch to take on port days?

SeaWatch

I was just wondering if anybody has ever Holland America to prepare a picnic lunches to take while they go out on a port day adventure?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is my understanding that NO food may be taken from the ship by a passenger. If I'm mistaken, someone will post to correct me soon.

It is my understanding that NO food may be taken from the ship by a passenger. If I'm mistaken, someone will post to correct me soon.
You are almost right. You can, generally, take pre-packaged items off the ship, but absolutely no meats, fruits, or other items of that nature.

It's very rare that a picnic lunch can be taken off a ship. We have only had this in Abu Dhabi and it wasn't a HAL ship. Most times, local regulations do not permit food taken off the ship except pre-packed items. Even that is a no no in some countries. We have had picnic lunches provided by the excursion company occasionally. When we do our own thing, we like to check out the local markets and shops.

Sadly it can't be done. But it was a good idea.

One time when we knew we were going to spend time at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, we stopped at a store not too far from the dock and bought some bread and cheese and took that with us.

Maybe you can find a store near your dock and pick up a few items to take with you.

You are almost right. You can, generally, take pre-packaged items off the ship, but absolutely no meats, fruits, or other items of that nature.
Most countries don't allow food to be brought ashore, but I remember one HAL excursion in Italy where we were given box lunches at the gangway. It had a 1/2 chicken salad sandwich, an apple, a piece of cheese (sealed), a bottle of water and a candy bar. Ironically it seemed that most of the food in those boxes was tossed out after people ate lunch at restaurants in Amalfi. Edited by catl331

While you are not supposed to do it, I have seen it done multiple times. People whip up small sandwiches in Lido in the morning and eat them for lunch. I remember one couple that did that at every port on one cruise.

While you are not supposed to do it, I have seen it done multiple times. People whip up small sandwiches in Lido in the morning and eat them for lunch. I remember one couple that did that at every port on one cruise.
I'm always amazed at people who think that rules and regulations do not apply to them. The reason that most countries do not want people to do this is to prevent contamination from ship's food (mostly meat and produce) from being introduced into their county. Why on earth would people feel that it's okay to do it anyway. We need to encourage folks to NOT to do this, regardless if some have gotten away with it.

Thanks SC. Just curious, I thought it might be fun and save some time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Apparently it is not fun to bring potential contaminants on shore, according to many local regulations. Good you asked upfront.

Oh I get it, the rules don't apply to that couple... only to everyone else. :groan

Remember the recent story of a passenger arriving in the US on an international flight. She was given an apple by the flight attendant, but instead of eating it on the plane, she put it into her carry-on bag to eat later. When she deplaned, she passed through immigration and US customs. They asked her if she had anything to declare, she said "no", but she forgot about the apple in her bag. Unfortunately, she was also selected for a random secondary inspection by customs. They found the apple, and detained her, ending up with a nasty fine. Kind of overkill over an apple, but it shows that some countries can be very strict about bringing ANY food in, either on planes or ships.

Remember the recent story of a passenger arriving in the US on an international flight. She was given an apple by the flight attendant, but instead of eating it on the plane, she put it into her carry-on bag to eat later. When she deplaned, she passed through immigration and US customs. They asked her if she had anything to declare, she said "no", but she forgot about the apple in her bag. Unfortunately, she was also selected for a random secondary inspection by customs. They found the apple, and detained her, ending up with a nasty fine. Kind of overkill over an apple, but it shows that some countries can be very strict about bringing ANY food in, either on planes or ships.[/quote

remember hearing about that incidnet and felt so bad for that woman., t I seem to think the fine was something like $500

Remember the recent story of a passenger arriving in the US on an international flight. She was given an apple by the flight attendant, but instead of eating it on the plane, she put it into her carry-on bag to eat later. When she deplaned, she passed through immigration and US customs. They asked her if she had anything to declare, she said "no", but she forgot about the apple in her bag. Unfortunately, she was also selected for a random secondary inspection by customs. They found the apple, and detained her, ending up with a nasty fine. Kind of overkill over an apple, but it shows that some countries can be very strict about bringing ANY food in, either on planes or ships.[/quote remember hearing about that i ncidnet and felt so bad for that woman. I seem to think the fine was something like $500

There's a lot of confusion around this issue and cruisers are quick to jump all over anyone who brings up the idea, but the truth is that not all or even most ports prohibit bringing food ashore. It all depends on local regulations, where the ship is sailing to/from, etc. Many who sail in the Caribbean or other tropical isles where the prohibition is common mistakenly think that it is prohibited everywhere....

In Europe, for example, on a ship going from EU country to EU country and provisioned in the EU, it is not an issue. I've been on ship tours in Europe and in Asia and in Middle East where boxed lunches from the ship were included.

Ships generally will warn passengers in briefings and in the daily activity guide when taking food off the ship is strictly prohibited.

There's a lot of confusion around this issue and cruisers are quick to jump all over anyone who brings up the idea, but the truth is that not all or even most ports prohibit bringing food ashore. It all depends on local regulations, where the ship is sailing to/from, etc. Many who sail in the Caribbean or other tropical isles where the prohibition is common mistakenly think that it is prohibited everywhere....

In Europe, for example, on a ship going from EU country to EU country and provisioned in the EU, it is not an issue. I've been on ship tours in Europe and in Asia and in Middle East where boxed lunches from the ship were included.

Ships generally will warn passengers in briefings and in the daily activity guide when taking food off the ship is strictly prohibited.

Thanks for one of the more informative posts.

I will bring at least a jelly sandwich with cheese ashore unless advised otherwise by HAL.

There is always spot to buy a lunch to go in just a boug any port near all the areas of interest t to tourists. even at many beaches in he Caribbean, If/when/ you get hungry, you will see places to get 'local food;,. In Europe, you won't have to look for place, take two steps and you will likely be looking in a window in most major cities popular with cruise tourists.(Except for when the ship is in a commercial area oft he port. But presumably y ou will have left the dock in order t o sight see/tour

Edited by sail7seas

The rules are for all of us.

In some ports, they have those cute beagals with great 'noses' to identify people carrying food as they come into / through the cruise terminal.

The rules are for all of us.

In some ports, they have those cute beagals with great 'noses' to identify people carrying food as they come into / through the cruise terminal.

Yes, the rules apply to all and I would never break them.

However, not every country has the same rules about bringing food ashore.

They have food sniffing dogs and sometimes inspect bags. I would not want to risk a fine or worse over saving a few dollars on lunch or waiting until I go back to the ship and eat.

Some places do allow commercially packaged and sealed foods to be brought off the ship. (Cherrios, granola bars etc)

If all you need is a "jelly sandwich" for a picnic, why not bring some type of granola bars from home in their original sealed packages. Those will be acceptable. No worries. Ship stores have some prepackaged snacks too.