FOOD for thought!

dsotm73

We often hear that cruisers maintain their weight by taking the stairs everywhere they go on the ship. Sounds reasonable right?

With a little googling I found that if you climb 3 flights of stairs you burn 15 calories. Yay! http://www.weightymatters.ca/2015/04/climbing-stairs-isnt-about-burning.html

A little more googling shows that a single serving of Carnival’s Warm Chocolate Melting Cake contains 620 calories https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calories.asp?recipe=1909432

(that linked recipe closely matches the one on Carnival’s site. https://www.carnival.com/recipes/melting-chocolate-cake-recipe.aspx)

If you do a little math this will tell you that you have to climb 124 flights of stairs to burn off that one serving of WCMC. And that doesn’t include the ice cream!

Happy Cruising fellow cruisers!

And happy stair climbing!

Weoften hear that cruisers maintain their weight by taking the stairs everywherethey go. Sounds reasonable right?

Witha little googling I found that if you climb 3 flights of stairs you burn 15calories. Yay! http://www.weightymatters.ca/2015/04/climbing-stairs-isnt-about-burning.html

Alittle more googling shows that a single serving of Carnival’s Warm ChocolateMelting Cake contains 620 calories https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calories.asp?recipe=1909432

(that linked recipe closely matches the one on Carnival’s site. https://www.carnival.com/recipes/melting-chocolate-cake-recipe.aspx)

Ifyou do a little math this will tell you that you have to climb 124 flights ofstairs to burn off that one service of WCMC. And that doesn’t include the icecream!

HappyCruising fellow cruisers!

I think the "trick" is just to keep active - move yourself as much as possible. Stairs may not burn a ton of calories - but surely more than taking the elevator. :) Plus you have to actually walk TO the stairs.

I haven't come off a cruise heavier in years...I eat what I want, but I seldom finish the entire thing. Usually only eat about half of the serving, plus I eat a lot of salad when it's available. Now my DH on the other hand...he gets to eat everything I don't ;p - we usually consult over the menu and he orders something I'm not, since he knows he'll get a good portion of my dinner:halo:

Forget the calories look at the saturated and unsaturated FAT grams and the monounsaturated fat is healthier but still fat !! :eek:

48 grams of fat isn't worth it to me, YMMV (widely.) :)

Calories in Carnival's Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

Nutrition Facts

Servings Per Recipe: 6

Serving Size: 1 serving

Amount Per Serving

Calories620.9Total Fat48.0 gSaturated Fat27.9 gPolyunsaturated Fat2.7 gMonounsaturated Fat14.1 gCholesterol297.3 mgSodium304.1 mgPotassium240.2 mgTotal Carbohydrate44.4 gDietary Fiber2.5 gSugars33.3 gProtein

We often hear that cruisers maintain their weight by taking the stairs everywhere they go on the ship. Sounds reasonable right?

With a little googling I found that if you climb 3 flights of stairs you burn 15 calories. Yay! http://www.weightymatters.ca/2015/04/climbing-stairs-isnt-about-burning.html

A little more googling shows that a single serving of Carnival’s Warm Chocolate Melting Cake contains 620 calories https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calories.asp?recipe=1909432

If you do a little math this will tell you that you have to climb 124 flights of stairs to burn off that one serving of WCMC. And that doesn’t include the ice cream!

Happy Cruising fellow cruisers!

I'm sorry but calories simply don't exist on a cruise ship. lol;p

That's great. Know its meant to be thought provoking and humorous but I never give calories any thought either. Just take the stairs and walk, walk, walk as much as I can versus elevators and taxis in port. In all seriousness, sugar and carbs are the biggest contributors to weight gain and health issues. Luckily, I can keep both to desserts usually! So I justify it that way. Well, other than alcohol. OK, I'm quickly losing this battle.

You do not do enough walking or stair climbing to really affect your diet...unless you watch what you eat...just like at home! You can't expect to eat desserts for lunch and dinner daily, and be able to "walk it off"....

For a month prior to your cruise increase your workouts, lean up stay active while on board and your metabolism will help take care of those extra calories. Or just figure you are off routine, have a good time and not worry about it then get back on your routine when your get back home.

It's a vacation don't muddy the waters LOL. Sometimes you just need to let go and enjoy/indulge in things you wouldn't normally🤣🤣!

Tomorrow is another day!

Totally agree! Please don’t tell me the calories in the foods I want on vacation! It ruins the fun! I’m good all the time at home. When I cruise, I want to enjoy my cruise to the max, and that includes a little over indulgence (with food). Even with the cocktails, I don’t want to think about those added calories, also. I know I won’t be having them at home, and I NEVER drink 3 drinks a day at home (my cruise limit on alcohol). As for taking only the stairs, fine for me, but my hubby refuses, so that’s out! I just work out harder once home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anyone who normally monitors their calorie intake and calorie burning would know that you barely burn a thing on the stairs alone. It's still beneficial for other reasons and certainly doesn't harm you to get a little bit of exercise. I've also learned through my own dieting that exercise barely makes a dent when it comes to weight loss for me, it's all about what I eat. On cruises, after many months and months of watching my portion sizes at home, i can barely overeat even if I try to. I find myself craving different foods, and not as many sweets. I do still indulge when I feel like it, which usually means one or two WCMC during a week long cruise. I usually gain around 3 pounds during a 7 day cruise and it's gone by the next week.

My point is, it doesn't hurt to take the stairs, it also is okay to take the elevator. My reason for taking the stairs is that I don't like to be crammed in the elevator with a bunch of sweaty strangers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's tough. I try to balance food and fun the best I can. I don't want to limit my enjoyment, but I also want want to overly gorge myself. Luckily, I'm usually never up more than about 2 lbs after a cruise. I do a ton of walking between going to all of the different decks, my room, and at port. Also try to stick in a lighter meal here and there. The MDR is probably my best friend when eating healthy.

It's a vacation don't muddy the waters LOL. Sometimes you just need to let go and enjoy/indulge in things you wouldn't normally🤣🤣!

Tomorrow is another day!

This is how we roll! I have vacationed with people who were on a diet. No fun! To each his own, but when I am on vacation, my regular eating habits on are vacation too!

We use the stairs...always...even when coming back from a port day on lowest deck entry...all the way up...and we walk constantly...use the gym at least 3 times during the week...and only let DH order the melting cake, then grab a bite (only one spoonful, yes only one!)...and I am not much of a drinker so dont really worry too much about those empty calories...it all works out for me and I still have a blast!

Forget the calories look at the saturated and unsaturated FAT grams and the monounsaturated fat is healthier but still fat !! :eek:

48 grams of fat isn't worth it to me, YMMV (widely.) :)

Calories in Carnival's Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

Nutrition Facts

Servings Per Recipe: 6

Serving Size: 1 serving

Amount Per Serving

Calories620.9Total Fat48.0 gSaturated Fat27.9 gPolyunsaturated Fat2.7 gMonounsaturated Fat14.1 gCholesterol297.3 mgSodium304.1 mgPotassium240.2 mgTotal Carbohydrate44.4 gDietary Fiber2.5 gSugars33.3 gProtein

Dont focus on fat alone. Most important thing is calories. Need even out to intake to balance the equation. Getting into the macronutrients of percentages of fat/carbs/protein is a rabbit hole but you need all three.