Not the "Unlimited Beverage" Package anymore

Maya1234

I do a fair amount of consumer fraud law on the defense ( business) side and today at a meeting when I mentioned my recent ncl cruise a colleague who works plaintiff ( consumer) side said that NCL had a good deal of pushback on the UPB and that's why they've gone to "Unlimited Open Bar. " Survey evidence apparently showed less confusion with the later over whether say water or expensive drinks wouid does be included. He says this is why NCL also recently made it clearer upfront that gratuities would be added free drinks and dining. ( I'm not sure if there was a change but maybe it's now ciearer when you select those options than when I booked close to 2 years ago ) Some state law is very pro consumer and the excuse "but it's in the fine print of your contract" doesn't cut it. There has been a real push on consumer fraud cases recently because of fears that the current administration will result in rolled back protection so we are talking about these issues a great deal at work and in meetings with other attorneys.

Ahhh. Yes it was " ultimate" I was told survey evidence ( which is what plaintiffs lawyer rely on in consumer fraud cases) showed that people expected that to include things like bottled water and any alcohol but with "unlimited open bar" they did not.... apparently equating that in their mind with what you'd get at a wedding where if you want water it's going to just be a glass and you don't get top flight alcohol usually. I had notice that the name changed recently and wondered why.

UBP = Ultimate Beverage Package

LINK

UOB(?) = Unlimited Open Bar

Not sure what's so "ultimate" about it. There's not much "ultimate" included in the beverage package but booze and soda.They should just simply call it beverage package.

Not sure what's so "ultimate" about it. There's not much "ultimate" included in the beverage package but booze and soda.They should just simply call it beverage package.

Unlimited BOOZE is precisely the reason the package works..some people cannot be pleased.

Good grief, I really like this perk, and some folks continued complaining will more than likely end up ruining it..there is a reason we can’t have nice things.

Exactly! It's a great value, and all people can do is complain. It's unbelievable.

Good grief, I really like this perk, and some folks continued complaining will more than likely end up ruining it..there is a reason we can’t have nice things.
Isn't that how it always happens; a few companin and it ruins it for everyone.

I would bet they will be complaining even more if they had to purchase the package and not receive it as a perk any more.

Isn't that how it always happens; a few companin and it ruins it for everyone.

I would bet they will be complaining even more if they had to purchase the package and not receive it as a perk any more.

You already do purchase it. Via the gratuities on a $89 per day "ultimate" package :)

I've made it a point telling NCL how much I DO ENJOY the UBP. Hope they take customers' opinions that do like it a lot into consideration.

However, having a hard time following the OP's post about changing the name.

I do a fair amount of consumer fraud law on the defense ( business) side and today at a meeting when I mentioned my recent ncl cruise a colleague who works plaintiff ( consumer) side said that NCL had a good deal of pushback on the UPB and that's why they've gone to "Unlimited Open Bar. " Survey evidence apparently showed less confusion with the later over whether say water or expensive drinks wouid does be included. He says this is why NCL also recently made it clearer upfront that gratuities would be added free drinks and dining. ( I'm not sure if there was a change but maybe it's now ciearer when you select those options than when I booked close to 2 years ago ) Some state law is very pro consumer and the excuse "but it's in the fine print of your contract" doesn't cut it. There has been a real push on consumer fraud cases recently because of fears that the current administration will result in rolled back protection so we are talking about these issues a great deal at work and in meetings with other attorneys.

There is no fine print. It is all disclosed in the same font face and size. Everything was and still is 100% clear especially pertaining t what is and is not included and the fact that the gratuity is added on. The only people who have any trouble are two groups... 1) Professional complainers who look for an excuse to not like anything and, 2) lawyers who are trying to scam bucks off of legitimate businesses.

No you get it for free. You can of course pay the $89 a day if it makes you feel better.

Actually, I would pay $89 per day if the package included way so much much more.

I’ve had no problem buying the drink package on other cruise lines because it includes way more and it’s cheaper than $89 per day. Norwegian makes no effort in making the package worth $89 per person per day . It’s all about the money [emoji383]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, I'm in a suite and when my reservation was booked, suites didn't have to pay the gratuities.

I had to pay the gratuities and I'm booked in a Haven Aft sailing Bliss 12/8/2018. So, maybe it depends on the sailing.

I had to pay the gratuities and I'm booked in a Haven Aft sailing Bliss 12/8/2018. So, maybe it depends on the sailing.
No, it depends on when you booked it. Can't remember when they changed having to pay for the gratuities when cruising in suites, but I'd booked my cruise January of 2017. I've got no issues paying the gratuities, because it saves me, like on my December cruise, having to carry around ones to leave a tip for each drink I order.

There is no fine print. It is all disclosed in the same font face and size. Everything was and still is 100% clear especially pertaining t what is and is not included and the fact that the gratuity is added on. The only people who have any trouble are two groups... 1) Professional complainers who look for an excuse to not like anything and, 2) lawyers who are trying to scam bucks off of legitimate businesses.

Relax Maniacal.... the OP was just saying what happened at her meeting. One of the lawyers she met with spoke about NCL changing the title of their beverage package.

No one is complaining. Not sure why if someone mentions a factual event, its considered complaining. Some get confused about what the program offers and I don't think that is complaining either. No one is forced to take the drink package.

How I wish that was true :(
You must have booked after the change. I think the change was the second quarter of 2017 (but not positive), so all cruises booked prior to that sailing in a suite didn't have to pay the added gratuitiy on the UBP and those booked after pays it.

You must have booked after the change. I think the change was the second quarter of 2017 (but not positive), so all cruises booked prior to that sailing in a suite didn't have to pay the added gratuitiy on the UBP and those booked after pays it.

Yeah I just booked a few months ago. That was a nice suite perk (while it lasted).