Airline cancelled flight, missed cruise, options?

laur371

Hi All,

My parents had their first cruise this morning, They were supposed to land 15 hours before the cruise departed, because they wanted to plan for possible flight delays. What they didn't expect was the airline to flat out cancel the flight, with no flights for 48 hours.

Anyway, please spare me all the "you should have gotten travel insurance" comments, because obviously, yes they should have. I have learned for the future. Also, this was a NCL Sky weekend cruise stopping at private island, so there is no port to fly to.

But at this point, anything they CAN do? I assume not, and all the money is spent, but does NCL ever give credits for future cruise or anything? I assume not, but wanted to check.

Thank you and I hope this serves as a warning for others. It isn't just delays to watch out for, sometimes airlines CANCEL flights. Even when there is NO WEATHER issues. Weather is fine today. This was an airline issue.

If it was a non-weather cancellation, the airline should have rebooked them on another airlines.

NCL will refund port taxes and fees. Nothing else.

Thanks.

1) Airline re-booked them for a flight TOMORROW (which is not possible. ship sails). I also checked other carries, and 5 other airports for them to drive to to try to get there. Just nothing at this last moment.

2) As I said, NO OTHER PORT to fly into. Their port is Stirrup Cay. Last port is Bahamas, but that is the last few hours of the cruise.

3) Thanks for tip about port fees.

Are you sure it wasn't weather related on the Florida end? We have been having rough weather with violent storms moving from coast to coast of the state and causing flight delays and cancellations at all airports in the state.

This has been a problem for several days and the weather pattern may not change until this weekend.

What airport/airline?

Hi! It was from Newark, NJ airport. We quickly looked for any other airport they could fly from today (EWR, JFK, Phila, Boston, CT, Delaware, Maryland, etc). Nothing under $1000 one way that would get them there on time. We looked on ALL carriers.

The airline they originally booked was Spirit Airlines (Again, I know, I know. Never fly Spirit. I warned my parents but they didn't believe me how bad Spirit is).

If it was a non-weather cancellation, the airline should have rebooked them on another airlines. That’s what they should have demanded yesterday.

NCL will refund port taxes and fees. Nothing else.

The airline only told them one hour before their flight. If they knew yesterday, they would have driven to port! (24 hour drive, but would have done it!)

I like Spirit, if you know how to play their pricing game. So sorry about what happened to your parents though, I have had it happen to me as well, and in this day and age and the US antiquated air traffic control system, it could happen on any airline.

Any chance the credit card you purchased the travel with comes with some coverage/ purchase protection?

Other than the ports and fees, you may be left with just writing a persuasive letter to customer service and hoping for the best.

you may be left with just writing a persuasive letter to customer service and hoping for the best.

Has anyone ever seen this work? I will do anything to make my parents happy, including the most heartfelt letter of all time! But I want to know there is a shot in heck of it working first though.

Hi! It was from Newark, NJ airport. We quickly looked for any other airport they could fly from today (EWR, JFK, Phila, Boston, CT, Delaware, Maryland, etc). Nothing under $1000 one way that would get them there on time. We looked on ALL carriers.

The airline they originally booked was Spirit Airlines (Again, I know, I know. Never fly Spirit. I warned my parents but they didn't believe me how bad Spirit is).

When is the cruise? Is it tomorrow?

Not a very practical option at this hour, but just an attempt: Flight to W Palm Beach today at 10:57...Trenton Mercer Airport? Frontier.

Cutting it REALLY close but if you are in the area?

Edited by Arzeena

Has anyone ever seen this work? I will do anything to make my parents happy, including the most heartfelt letter of all time! But I want to know there is a shot in heck of it working first though.
I haven't seen many work, but it is worth a try. I would be honest with what happened, don't threaten not to cruise with them again if they don't reimburse or credit you and don't be overly dramatic, because they see right through that; just state the facts and ask if there is anyway they could help your parents out. I would do it without letting your parents know, because I wouldn't want to get their hopes up. Edited by NLH Arizona

Agree with above. When my situation occurred (and it was weather related when my state had declared state of emergency) I tried on Princess and got a lecture and no remuneration (lost about $3K on Princess but got full credit back from the other companies.....my hotel, flight, excursions even though they were not required to do so). But it all depends on how your letter reader feels that day, how much they want your future business, etc.......I have had great luck in most other areas, so I have been curious if my situation was unique to Princess or more indicative of all the cruise lines. Good luck.

Edited by pghflyer

When is the cruise? Is it tomorrow?

Not a very practical option at this hour, but just an attempt: Flight to W Palm Beach today at 10:57...Trenton Mercer Airport? Frontier.

Cutting it REALLY close but if you are in the area?

That could have potentially worked if they thought to look earlier. Now they live too far to make it. It was a good suggestion and thank you for taking the time to look. Very kind of you. There was one flight from PHL but it was $1000 which is too much for them at this point in time.

If it was a non-weather cancellation, the airline should have rebooked them on another airlines. That’s what they should have demanded yesterday.

Recall that Spirit does not have interline agreements with any other carriers. This is something that is seen more often with legacy mainline carriers, but is not required. Spirit, Frontier, etc. DO NOT re-book on other carriers. You MAY have success with a legacy carrier like Delta, American, etc.

Also, consider choosing airlines with daily (and multiple daily flights).

The airline only told them one hour before their flight. If they knew yesterday, they would have driven to port! (24 hour drive, but would have done it!)

The key to Spirit, for future reference, is to give yourself a buffer and fly in a couple of days before cruise. We use them all the time because of price but are aware of their negatives so plan accordingly.

Pat

The problem with Spirit and Frontier not only are there not always multiple flight to your location but there may not be flights every day. They made a good move flying in early but picked the wrong airline. Good luck hopefully they at least get credit for the cruise.

I believe it was not weather related, but please educate me. If it was, does that give them more options?
If it's weather or air traffic control (not likely for a cancellation) or some other event out of their control, the airline has limited liability. If it was something in their control (mechanical, crew) then they have more responsibility, but, not so much that they owe them the cruise cost. Always find out and document the reason, it might be important later.

As others said, check the credit card used to buy the airline and cruise tickets to see if there is any travel insurance associated with the cards.

Lastly, travel insurance doesn't have to be the policy the cruise line or travel agents try to sell you when you book your cruise. If you are doing more than a couple trips a year, look into annual policies you can purchase on your own. If you use an insurance agent, they may be able to help too.

That could have potentially worked if they thought to look earlier. Now they live too far to make it. It was a good suggestion and thank you for taking the time to look. Very kind of you. There was one flight from PHL but it was $1000 which is too much for them at this point in time.

I am so sorry you ran out of all options.

I can understand your parents' disappointment. Perhaps another time, they can make up for this by going from a closer port? Bayonne, Baltimore, New York. I cannot find anything from a closer port (within the next 2-3 weeks) at a good price, but NCL has a 4 day cruise going out of NY next April, starting at $450 ish, and many others. Can you talk to some kind hearted person at NCL to see if their cruise credit can be switched/transfered to a new cruise? I know it seems impossible, but you never know. Good luck, don't give trying.

I agree, the $1000 flight from Philly would have been more expensive that the cruise itself. I would have suggested putting them on a train, but that would be another 18 + hours and perhaps quite uncomfortable.

Hi All,

My parents had their first cruise this morning, They were supposed to land 15 hours before the cruise departed, because they wanted to plan for possible flight delays. What they didn't expect was the airline to flat out cancel the flight, with no flights for 48 hours.

Anyway, please spare me all the "you should have gotten travel insurance" comments, because obviously, yes they should have. I have learned for the future. Also, this was a NCL Sky weekend cruise stopping at private island, so there is no port to fly to.

But at this point, anything they CAN do? I assume not, and all the money is spent, but does NCL ever give credits for future cruise or anything? I assume not, but wanted to check.

Thank you and I hope this serves as a warning for others. It isn't just delays to watch out for, sometimes airlines CANCEL flights. Even when there is NO WEATHER issues. Weather is fine today. This was an airline issue.

Yes please have them check their credit card that was used, very often they have insurance

Spirit that bad?

We have scheduled a Spirit flight Boston to Ft Lauderdale in January the day before the cruise, should I be worried?

Not so much that Spirit is bad or good, but that they differ from legacy airlines in some important ways (this applies to Frontier and Allegiant as well):

Spirit flies point to point, without hubs. So if you miss a flight, it may not be possible to reroute via another connection, you just have to wait until the next flight from your point of origin. Legacy carriers with hubs can often get you to a hub and from there on to your destination. (and as I noted above, Spirit does not transfer passengers to another airline in case they are unable to accommodate)

Spirit rarely has additional aircraft available in case of mechanical issues. Legacy carriers can often swap out a plane in case of mechanical issues.

Spirit has a limited flight schedule, so "the next flight" may not be for a few days. On legacy carriers there are often multiple flights per day, so the difference can be hours vs. days.

Ultra low cost carriers may have advantages (I've used them from time to time for various reasons) but never with the expectation that I have to be somewhere at a certain time. For example, whenever I fly into a larger airport to connect to overseas, I always choose a large hub and spoke carrier with multiple departures and always take a flight that is not the last to depart before my connection, that way I have at least one, or more, additional options in case things go south.

I am so sorry you ran out of all options.

I can understand your parents' disappointment. Perhaps another time, they can make up for this by going from a closer port? Bayonne, Baltimore, New York. I cannot find anything from a closer port (within the next 2-3 weeks) at a good price, but NCL has a 4 day cruise going out of NY next April, starting at $450 ish, and many others. Can you talk to some kind hearted person at NCL to see if their cruise credit can be switched/transfered to a new cruise? I know it seems impossible, but you never know. Good luck, don't give trying.

I agree, the $1000 flight from Philly would have been more expensive that the cruise itself. I would have suggested putting them on a train, but that would be another 18 + hours and perhaps quite uncomfortable.

Thank you, Arzeena. It is clear how kind hearted you are. A cruise out of NJ/NY looks like a great idea. You mentioned a cruise credit, and I wanted to clarify that they were not offered a credit. NCL didn't offer them anything. I spoke to Guest Relations. I will also be writing a formal letter, as others on this thread suggested, to try to convince Guest Relations to offer a credit. If you have any insight or past experience on how to compel Guest Relations to offer one, please let me know.