Solarium Bistro on Anthem

I have a couple questions about the Solarium Bistro on Anthem of the Seas. I have seen it listed online as a complimentary restaurant. However, my travel agent sent me a coupon for 20% off a single beverage at a specialty restaurant, and Solarium Bistro is listed as an included specialty restaurant in the fine print. In order to dine here, do I need to pay extra? Also, will this spot be open for lunch on embarkation day? Thanks for answers!!

Based on our experience on Oasis (and I assume Anthem is similar), I would strongly recommend Solarium Bistro for embarkation lunch. Much calmer than WJ. Easier to find a seat. Good variety, Same with breakfast. It's a mini WJ without the chaos.

As Bob said, there is currently no charge for dinner at the Solarium Bistro except for an upcharge for 2 entrees (rack of lamb and lobster I believe). Starters and dessert are buffet (Mediterranean flair) and entrée is served. We had dinner there 2 evenings on our February cruise and loved it.

The only thought as to why the Solarium Bistro is listed as a specialty restaurant is that the coupon might be a little old. In the past there was a charge for dinner at the Solarium Bistro so that's a reason why it might be listed as a specialty restaurant on your coupon. Nontheless, enjoy.

I have a couple questions about the Solarium Bistro on Anthem of the Seas. I have seen it listed online as a complimentary restaurant. However, my travel agent sent me a coupon for 20% off a single beverage at a specialty restaurant, and Solarium Bistro is listed as an included specialty restaurant in the fine print. In order to dine here, do I need to pay extra? Also, will this spot be open for lunch on embarkation day? Thanks for answers!!

Old, outdated coupon. I hope that it's not indicative of your agent's general knowledge about your cruise, for your sake.

I really enjoy the Solarium Bistro for any meal. But I don't mind the Windjammer, so dinner is my real reason to go to the Solarium Bistro. I don't even bother with an entree. I easily make a meal out of the Greek-centric appetizer buffet. The salads are nice, and there is often baklava on the dessert table.

Use your "free meal" coupon at Wonderland if you can. If not, both Jamie's Italian and Chops are good. :)

(is the offer just for a drink, or for a meal?)

Old, outdated coupon. I hope that it's not indicative of your agent's general knowledge about your cruise, for your sake.

I really enjoy the Solarium Bistro for any meal. But I don't mind the Windjammer, so dinner is my real reason to go to the Solarium Bistro. I don't even bother with an entree. I easily make a meal out of the Greek-centric appetizer buffet. The salads are nice, and there is often baklava on the dessert table.

Use your "free meal" coupon at Wonderland if you can. If not, both Jamie's Italian and Chops are good. :)

(is the offer just for a drink, or for a meal?)

I think the OP said 20% off a drink (not a real biggie).

Thanks for all the help! I'll definitely do embarkation lunch at the Solarium Bistro. The coupon is only for 20% off a drink. I'll try using it, but it's no biggie if it doesn't work.

It is a nice, quieter place for lunch on embarkation day. The buffet at lunch is very different to the dinner buffet though, so if you have the opportunity, give it a try at dinner too. I also do not order an entrée at dinner anymore in Solarium Bistro as there are many great options on the buffet. The entrees that can be ordered are just okay in my opinion. We have tried the chicken kabobs, salmon and the shrimp entrees. None of them wowed us. I much prefer the eggplant on the buffet and can easily make an entrée portion out of that.

Thanks for all the help! I'll definitely do embarkation lunch at the Solarium Bistro. The coupon is only for 20% off a drink. I'll try using it, but it's no biggie if it doesn't work.

Methinks you need a new travel agent. :o

We'll be on Ovation next year and the Solarium Bistro sounds like our kind of place. Can you make reservations for dinner? BTW, our cruise planner is showing a $29 charge for Solarium Bistro, while the dining overview page for the ship shows it as no charge except for the two extra-cost entrees.

Thanks, Pat

We'll be on Ovation next year and the Solarium Bistro sounds like our kind of place. Can you make reservations for dinner? BTW, our cruise planner is showing a $29 charge for Solarium Bistro, while the dining overview page for the ship shows it as no charge except for the two extra-cost entrees.

Thanks, Pat

Yes, you can make reservations.

Yes, you can make reservations.

Thanks, Bob. Only problem is that if I make reservations now, we'll be charged the $29. How would that be handled if in fact the dinner is included, as shown in the dining overview?

Pat

Thanks, Bob. Only problem is that if I make reservations now, we'll be charged the $29. How would that be handled if in fact the dinner is included, as shown in the dining overview?

Pat

No idea, because others have made reservations with no pre-cruise charge. I don't know if this is a mistake, a change of policy, or something particular to Ovation.

No idea, because others have made reservations with no pre-cruise charge. I don't know if this is a mistake, a change of policy, or something particular to Ovation.

Well, I'm really hoping it's a mistake, since it is Ovation's dining overview page that shows it as included. I just would rather not get snarled in a situation where the charge has to be refunded onboard, if I can avoid it. I'll just wait a bit - or call Crown and Anchor, though I'm not sure they would have an answer.

Again, thank you for all your help.

Pat

Well, I'm really hoping it's a mistake, since it is Ovation's dining overview page that shows it as included. I just would rather not get snarled in a situation where the charge has to be refunded onboard, if I can avoid it. I'll just wait a bit - or call Crown and Anchor, though I'm not sure they would have an answer.

Again, thank you for all your help.

Pat

You're welcome, and please report back if you learn something about the charge.

I just called Royal. The young woman I spoke with didn't do much except to say that she was seeing the same information as I was on my Cruise Planner and on the overview page. When I pressed her for an explanation, she put me on hold and came back to say that Solarium Bistro is complimentary for lunch and breakfast, but for additional cost for dinner:mad:. I may try the "call someone else and get another opinion" another day, but for now that is apparently the case.

Pat

Edited by vistapat
Correct error.

I just called Royal. The young woman I spoke with didn't do much except to say that she was seeing the same information as I was on my Cruise Planner and on the overview page. When I pressed her for an explanation, she put me on hold and came back to say that Solarium Bistro is complimentary for lunch and breakfast, but for additional cost for dinner:mad:. I may try the "call someone else and get another opinion" another day, but for now that is apparently the case.

Pat

I would find some recent Ovation cruisers (try the Roll Calls) and ask them.

I would find some recent Ovation cruisers (try the Roll Calls) and ask them.

That's a good idea. I think I may wait until next spring's Alaska season has started to see if maybe this is ship-specific, or perhaps Alaska-specific. Recent replies seem to show that Ovation is indeed charging dinner in Solarium Bistro as a specialty restaurant. And of course I'll keep checking our Cruise Planner.

Thanks again, Pat

Not trying to hijack this thread but am I allowed to bring my two 15 year old daughters for lunch in the Solarium Bistro on embarkation day? Is this venue adults only?

Yes, children are allowed for meals. 16 and over may use the Solarium pool and hot tubs.