Favorite Former Royal Caribbean Ship

Back in November 1994, my family took me on a 4-day cruise to Catalina Island and Ensenada aboard the Viking Serenade when I returned from serving a 2-year church mission. At the time, this ship seemed huge to me as my only other cruise experience was aboard the Carnival Mardi Gras in 1991 which was much smaller. What I remember about this ship was how strange it seemed like the decks were laid out. At the time, I didn't know that the Viking Serenade had been a former cruise ferry and that one of the decks that had formally been used for cars was converted into a passenger deck. I also remember that on our sea day, the captain sailed up to a sea cave in the Channel Islands.

My family and I had a great time on this cruise. It was quite a bit different than cruising is now, as the highlight was the food and the shows, not waterslides, bumper cars, climbing walls, etc. What was also much different is that the ship had very few balcony cabins but did have a lot of ocean view rooms. It is interesting how different cruise ships looked back then. The entire ship seems like one rectangular block with a bow on the front, but the cruise itself was a blast. While the ship didn't have any of the future activities that cruises have subsequently added I remember having fun every day and never being bored. This was also the last major family event we had before my grandfather suffered his first stroke so the vacation stands out in my mind. We are now getting ready to cruise to Alaska next year on the Ovation of the Seas and it got me thinking about what former ships operated by RCCI were CC favorites and why?

Back in November 1994, my family took me on a 4-day cruise to Catalina Island and Ensenada aboard the Viking Serenade when I returned from serving a 2-year church mission. At the time, this ship seemed huge to me as my only other cruise experience was aboard the Carnival Mardi Gras in 1991 which was much smaller. What I remember about this ship was how strange it seemed like the decks were laid out. At the time, I didn't know that the Viking Serenade had been a former cruise ferry and that one of the decks that had formally been used for cars was converted into a passenger deck. I also remember that on our sea day, the captain sailed up to a sea cave in the Channel Islands.

My family and I had a great time on this cruise. It was quite a bit different than cruising is now, as the highlight was the food and the shows, not waterslides, bumper cars, climbing walls, etc. What was also much different is that the ship had very few balcony cabins but did have a lot of ocean view rooms. It is interesting how different cruise ships looked back then. The entire ship seems like one rectangular block with a bow on the front, but the cruise itself was a blast. While the ship didn't have any of the future activities that cruises have subsequently added I remember having fun every day and never being bored. This was also the last major family event we had before my grandfather suffered his first stroke so the vacation stands out in my mind. We are now getting ready to cruise to Alaska next year on the Ovation of the Seas and it got me thinking about what former ships operated by RCCI were CC favorites and why?

Splendour of the seas.

We sailed on her a few times from Venice which was fabulous.

The crew were brilliant.

I also went on a four-day cruise on the Viking Serenade to Catalina Island and Ensenada, either in 93 or 94? It was my first cruise (12 years old) and I was hooked, but didn't go on my next for another 9 or 10 years. Hoping to start making up for lost time!

One if my all time favorite ships was sovereign of the seas , sailed her several times late 1980’s and early 1990’s ,. That ship made me a rccl fan, which I still am.

I second this. The Sovereign was our first cruise and totally hooked us on cruising. Beautiful, elegant, unforgettable.

One if my all time favorite ships was sovereign of the seas , sailed her several times late 1980’s and early 1990’s ,. That ship made me a rccl fan, which I still am.

Agree, sailed her 5 times 1988-1998. First of the Mega Ships. Sovereign was largest cruise ship in the World when she first sailed in 1988. Enjoyed looking down on the tiny Love Boats sized ships all around it.. A 7nite back then is still most expensive cruise I ever paid for...

Sovereign of the Seas. Groundbreaking ship with a beautiful (balcony-free in its original configuration) profile. I thought she was the perfect modern ship. Jerry Lewis was the performer on one trip, Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr (They were incredible) on the other.

• 1 year later...
On 8/6/2018 at 5:04 PM, grapau27 said:

Splendour of the seas.

You can relive some of those moments in the warmth of the Caribbean:

For the first time ever, Marella Cruises will base a ship in the United States as the Marella Discovery will sail from Port Canaveral in 2021.

The TUI-owned brand targeted at the British market will sail the Marella Discovery from the port beginning in Summer 2021, offering four new itineraries with 11 port-of-call visits.

“We’re excited that Marella Cruises has selected Port Canaveral as the homeport for its first-ever cruises from the United States,” Port CEO Captain John Murray said. “Today’s announcement is another endorsement that our ongoing investments in state-of-the-art terminals and commitment to excellence in cruise operations continues to earn the confidence of some of the world’s most successful cruise brands.”

Cruise bookings go on sale Thursday, Nov. 7, for 26 seasonal voyages from May 2, 2021, through Oct. 24, 2021.

The ship will sail from Port Canaveral’s Cruise Terminal 5.

Marella Discovery

Legend of the Seas was my favorite--we first sailed on her on a Panama Canal cruise during her inaugural year.  One of our best cruises ever.   We were fortunate enough to get one more cruise on her shortly before she left the fleet.

We did a British Isle/Norwegian Fjord cruise on Splendour back in 1999.  It was amazing, as well.

We love the smaller ships, so are sad when one leaves the fleet.

Edited by Gardener5b

Monarch of the Seas was my first Royal Caribbean ship. I was wowed. It was like nothing I’ve ever seen before.

But my most memorable one was the Viking Serenade for a college Spring Break in 1996. We overindulged in Ensenada at Papa’s and Beers and about 20 of us were almost left behind when we lost track of time and were still at the bar at sail away time. To make things worse, we didn’t have cash to pay for a taxi back to the ship. But somehow, the ship was still waiting for us and we made it back. 😂

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You can relive some of those moments in the warmth of the Caribbean:

Thanks Biker19.

TUI is a tips included company so it will be interesting to see what they do in the US.

Before TUI(Thomson cruises) acquisition of Splendour and Legend their few ships were old with only a tiny number of suite balconies or none at all.

Graham

Edited by grapau27

My only former ship is the Song of America at the time she was sailing as the Thomson Destiny. Loved the old Viking Crown Lounge.

Sailed the Empress and Majesty and very pleased they're not yet former ships.

10 minutes ago, 3213dev said:

My only former ship is the Song of America at the time she was sailing as the Thomson Destiny. Loved the old Viking Crown Lounge.

Sailed the Empress and Majesty and very pleased they're not yet former ships.

This ship was called Sun Cruises.

Sunbird before Thomson Destiny.

We sailed on her a couple of times from Palma Mallorca June 2003 and June 2004

The VCL was nice and was not easily found so it was often quiet.

We got fantastic views of Stromboli erupting.

• Like 1