Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Just now, first time cruising said:

Merry Christmas everyone. No white Christmas here in Adelaide, South  Australia. Our forecast for Christmas Day 31C then following days  37C, 41C, 38C. Looks like pool and beers.

Merry Christmas First!  I adore Adelaide!  My favourite place on earth!  I would move in less than a heartbeat if family was onboard.  😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, first time cruising said:

Merry Christmas everyone. No white Christmas here in Adelaide, South  Australia. Our forecast for Christmas Day 31C then following days  37C, 41C, 38C. Looks like pool and beers.

Yes, a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  Chicago and parts of the Midwest are being hit super hard with snow and super COLD today.  Lots of flight delays, etc.  Friday/tomorrow, it hits us in Ohio as this storm moves east.  It's real killer blizzard.  

In the holiday spirit, below are a few of my visuals from our Columbus Zoo having their annual "Wildlights" display.  Over a million lights!!  Our grandsons were here from Virginia for this past week and we took them to enjoy this visual treat.  Like?

Agree, we also super loved Adelaide and nearby Kangaroo Island from when we visited there in 2014.  Too bad KI suffered so much from its recent fires, etc.  What an amazing area!!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

image.thumb.jpeg.48ec9d00e297515704d5b2c8e5633b23.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c9c5599331818e171a32582b19e8d8b1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7e7ac349940b2bc37335f0a4da123680.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bef61a86b00fb03cb9c2a42cf6151bbe.jpeg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We're getting heavy rain right now, south of you – but the weather map shows that you're going to get snow soon.  I hope you get out ok!  

Thanks! We had some very pretty snow between about 3 and 5 PM. Huge soft flakes falling slowly. Commute home was not so bad. It seems to have stopped for now as the temperature is holding steady around freezing, and it's supposed to change over to rain as the temp rises overnight. We shall see!

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Weather might be better but labour disruptions abound. Hope it doesn’t mess up your trip. 

Yes, sounds like ample opportunity for unexpected delays at any point. We will go carry-on since it's such a short trip so no waiting for checked bags. We have alternative plans for transport once we arrive, if we can ever get through immigration... That may be the unavoidable sticking point. We don't plan on using public transport much, if at all, once we are in the city.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, first time cruising said:

Almost the same here in Rio de Janeiro....

• Like 2

I was trying to think of where to post this interesting tidbit, and decided that this thread has some very experienced sailors/cruisers and people 'of a certain age' [like  myself...] who might appreciate it.  This is from the latest Travel Post on Noble Caledonia, written by their Head of Fleet Operations Mike Deegan about his early career as an officer cadet:

I was first introduced to Oban over 40 years ago when as an Officer Cadet in the Merchant Navy serving aboard a general cargo vessel I was sent ashore by boat as we passed to purchase the daily papers for the Master along with other essential items for crew members!  This would have been part of my duties as SLJO (Silly Little Jobs Officer!) although the opportunity to hop ashore and explore meant I never had to be asked twice!  I have never been sure why but Mars Bars (other chocolate bars are available!) featured large in everyone’s shopping lists along with shampoo, ginger biscuits, some screws and other consumables for the Chief Engineer.  I recall with deep respect the Bosun on that particular ship : Gerry Edwards.  One of life’s true gentlemen and characters : he required the Times as he loved the crossword so if I could get some back numbers (easy in a town like Oban where collections of unsold editions were only made weekly) my star was in the ascendancy which was never a bad thing with such an important man as the Bosun on board!  That said, such was his world-weary view of life in general that whilst I may have scored a few brownie points, I was never in credit with him and my account, indeed the account of all the Cadets, was only ever in debit.  Despite being held in such low esteem (!) we all learned how to be superb practical seamen under his expert, watchful, if slightly jaundiced, view of us and our career aspirations!  I have oft mused since that informed cynicism is no bad thing”!

https://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/the-travel-post/articles-of-interest/oban-gateway-to-the-western-isles/

• Like 4

jp and chris - wishing you a lovely few days in London for Christmas - hopefully without problems from strikes!

I am off later this morning to my daughter's for nearly a week;   looking forward to being fed and watered and generally looked after.

A Happy Christmas to all  Coolers!

Lola

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

A Happy Christmas to all  Coolers!

Lola

Agree!!  Merry Christmas to all.  Good news here in the Midwest?  We will have a White Christmas with lots of snow, etc.  BUT, however, it is very, very, very, very cold here.  Not warm and sunny as Spins and others are enjoying in Florida.  

Need proof and evidence?  Below is what is posted now for Central Ohio by AccuWeather.  Sure glad we were not flying today.  Lots of scrubbed flights and other serious challenges for those traveling.  

image.thumb.png.4f1c3a721142b95ca1166d79f547fdf4.png

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Agree!!  Merry Christmas to all.  Good news here in the Midwest?  We will have a White Christmas with lots of snow, etc.  BUT, however, it is very, very, very, very cold here.  Not warm and sunny as Spins and others are enjoying in Florida.  

Need proof and evidence?  Below is what is posted now for Central Ohio by AccuWeather.  Sure glad we were not flying today.  Lots of scrubbed flights and other serious challenges for those traveling.  

image.thumb.png.4f1c3a721142b95ca1166d79f547fdf4.png

I have no words for this temperature!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JP and Chris, have a wonderful weekend😀

I am in Florida and in my part of the state we are supposed to go into the 20s tonight and tomorrow morning so this massive cold thing is literally all over the country.

Stay safe everyone.

7 minutes ago, Lirio said:

I have no words for this temperature!

For those with "no words" for this cold, below is some "evidence" to illustrate what it is like to now live a "deep freeze".  My guess?  About three inches of snow on the ground, but very high winds that drives the wind chill factor down so extremely deep.  

From our front door this morning, below is the view of the empty roadway, our driveway, etc.  Not much traffic this am.  Second is the view out our back patio door.  If it looks COLD, that is because it is really chilly!!  YES, a White Christmas!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.81e15ae65f7ab4ccc0f83e36131de842.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.de607b8d65b06e776719d2d3c97127f5.jpeg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

For those with "no words" for this cold, below is some "evidence" to illustrate what it is like to now live a "deep freeze".  My guess?  About three inches of snow on the ground, but very high winds that drives the wind chill factor down so extremely deep.  

From our front door this morning, below is the view of the empty roadway, our driveway, etc.  Not much traffic this am.  Second is the view out our back patio door.  If it looks COLD, that is because it is really chilly!!  YES, a White Christmas!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.81e15ae65f7ab4ccc0f83e36131de842.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.de607b8d65b06e776719d2d3c97127f5.jpeg

Thanks. I never "saw" such temperature in my entire life. Not even when I went to Antarctica. Have a great holiday!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1