Oasis Sept 2 JS (paid in full) now UNAVAILABLE?

Lucky OP glad you got a nice solution.

We had a guaranty fully paid for deluxe balcony that became an inside Promenade for, originally $462 more - the Friday before Sunday’s sailing. Had to pay to downgrade cabin to another sailing. By the way, the final insult was it would cost the cruise line too much money to move us without charge ($400 would have been the difference in cost!).

Haven’t booked with RCI. since. Doesn’t mean I won’t, but other products like Celebrity and Princess keep me happy.

We are also half way to Pinnacle and the cruise line was not concerned that there was no reciprocal loyalty to the customer.

I’ve read you story here a few times now. I always makes me sad. Clearly, somebody totally dropped the ball that one Friday before you’re cruise. I can understand that one some rare occasions cabins can become uninhabitable at the last minute, leaving the cruise line in a scramble to re-accommodate a passenger at the last minute. Perhaps that is what happened on your ship. I don’t understand how or why they made such a poor offer? Nor do I understand why they did not manage to reach some agreement with you, as they did with the OP. Or if you could not be happy in less than a balcony at any price, I do not understand why they did reach out with a generous offer to another balcony guest to free up a cabin for you. May it was the short time frame. Sad on any case.

Funny thing though...every time you sailCelebrity, the corporation probably makes as much or more money as they did when you sailed Royal.

I believe I use the same Online TA as OP and they do fine by me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

John, While my TA has a website, she isn't what I would call an Online TA. She has won multiple awards as a top producer for a major travel card company. Perhaps, sometime we will be in a place where we can discuss further.

I believe I use the same Online TA as OP and they do fine by me.

I hope “do fine” by you is an modest understatement. Since you seem to be especially frequent customers, I hope any travel agency, on line or otherwise, would not risk your business by giving anything less than excellent service.

Of course, I think any travel agency, on line or otherwise, should go to bat for their clients (frequent, newbies or in between) when adversity strikes, as it did the OP. Travel agents often tell us that is one of the reasons to use their services rather than booking direct. And if one has a good agent, that is probably a valid point; on the other hand not all agents are good or event decent. That the OP had to come to these boards, get advice from strangers, demand a conference call, and negotiate their own fair settlement isays volumes about the agency. Perhaps I’d feel differently if I already had a relationship with an agent there, but lacking such, I would be loathe to use them ever for anything after reading this thread.

Perhaps I’d feel differently if I already had a relationship with an agent there, but lacking such, I would be loathe to use them ever for anything after reading this thread.

Fair point but I look at it like this:

If you have an agent who won't go to bat, then you're in the same boat as if you had no agent.

If you have an agent who will go to bat, then that's great.

If you can use an agent who gives very significant perks and goes to bat, you're in the best shape.

Fair point but I look at it like this:

If you have an agent who won't go to bat, then you're in the same boat as if you had no agent...

No, having a bad agent is much, much worse than having no agent! The agent, good or bad, owns your reservation, so the agent controls every facet of that reservation. Not only will a bad agent not go to bat for you, they might also actually negotiate bad deal for you. They could refuse to let you participate in the negotiations. A bad agent could be unavailable when you need them. A bad agent may lie to you. A bad agent can make errors that adversely impact your trip.

Without an agent, you own your own reservation. While you lack an agent to go to bat for you, you are able to go to bat for yourself, Some here are great negotiators who would not miss the middle man. Without an agent, you can call or go on line to make changes to your own reservation anytime; you own it.

No, having a bad agent is much, much worse than having no agent! The agent, good or bad, owns your reservation, so the agent controls every facet of that reservation. Not only will a bad agent not go to bat for you, they might also actually negotiate bad deal for you. They could refuse to let you participate in the negotiations. A bad agent could be unavailable when you need them. A bad agent may lie to you. A bad agent can make errors that adversely impact your trip.

Without an agent, you own your own reservation. While you lack an agent to go to bat for you, you are able to go to bat for yourself, Some here are great negotiators who would not miss the middle man. Without an agent, you can call or go on line to make changes to your own reservation anytime; you own it.

If you're dissatisfied with a 'bad' agent, pull the reservation and transfer it back to the cruise line.

You can also call your Travel Agent and make the same changes.

If you're dissatisfied with a 'bad' agent, pull the reservation and transfer it back to the cruise line.

You can also call your Travel Agent and make the same changes.

Hmm, is it easy to “pull” a reservation from an agent and transfer it back to the cruiseline? I’ve never tried, but I rather doubt it based upon what I’ve heard. Before final payment with a refundable deposit, one could cancel, but then rebooking would be at current rate. Nonrefundable deposit or post final payment would add more wrinkles to “pulling” a reservation you don’t own.

Ah, yes, one should be able to call one’s agent and make changes just the same. Of course, agents have office hours and other clients and personal lives and health problems, etc. So, sometimes reaching a great agent might be slower than others...and remember, we were talking about the bad agent, maybe not so quick and easy to reach by phone...or maybe not helpful if you do.

Not a tirade against agents. A great agent is surely an great asset, but a bad agent is worse than no agent at all.

Hmm, is it easy to “pull” a reservation from an agent and transfer it back to the cruiseline? ... .

Either the agent has to agree to lose to booking or there has to be some extenuating circumstance that Royal feels justifies the agent losing the booking.

There is something to be said for having the power of a large agency behind you when something comes up. Just sayin.

I agree, they have gone to bat for us a couple of times when I was pretty sure Royal would have done nothing if we had been booked directly.

I agree, they have gone to bat for us a couple of times when I was pretty sure Royal would have done nothing if we had been booked directly.

My favorite TA has been a top producer for many consecutive years. I have much more confidence in her leverage with a cruise line than myself. Nor, do I feel I have lost any control when I place my reservations with her.

There is something to be said for having the power of a large agency behind you when something comes up. Just sayin.

Oh, having a great agent and/or a powerful agency truest stand up for you sounds wonderful. And really any agency would be beyond foolish to not to do their very best for frequent customers and prominent cruise critic members like John and Bob. The important question for the rest of us: Do they really stand up for the average Joe? This thread suggests not; sadly, it suggests they stood on his wallet instead.

Oh, having a great agent and/or a powerful agency truest stand up for you sounds wonderful. And really any agency would be beyond foolish to not to do their very best for frequent customers and prominent cruise critic members like John and Bob. The important question for the rest of us: Do they really stand up for the average Joe? This thread suggests not; sadly, it suggests they stood on his wallet instead.
We weren't always at this level you know. [emoji6]

A good agent will always stand up for their clients regardless of who they are. One bad review can ruin their reputation.

I am glad that TA's work for some people I have tried four or five. One I had to pull a booking from .The others either ignored my emails or could care less after they got my booking.

I monitor my own cruises now and stay on top of it because after all it is my money.

Reader

Reader0108598

That is exactly how I feel, its not their money so they won't care as much as I do. All my travels including land based vacations, if an issue arises I always am able to resolve it on my own. I do not want to count on TA and worry when they be available to help me (many are closed on weekends) and if they will resolve my problem, its best I handle it myself....after 78 cruises and an ton of land based vacations that I have already taken, who else is better than myself to handle problems. :)

Reader0108598

That is exactly how I feel, its not their money so they won't care as much as I do. All my travels including land based vacations, if an issue arises I always am able to resolve it on my own. I do not want to count on TA and worry when they be available to help me (many are closed on weekends) and if they will resolve my problem, its best I handle it myself....after 78 cruises and an ton of land based vacations that I have already taken, who else is better than myself to handle problems. :)

At ten % a cruise, just think how much money you've given away.

Rocketman275, what do you mean how much money I given away? I took vacations, I lucky to have had so many. I wouldn't do it if my "budget" didn't allow.
Potential rebates you're missing on

I use a big box ta. One time I was making a large booking for 5 rooms. I had to conference each person on the phone so they could pay for their room so it was a very long process. I did mine first and then the other 4 rooms. I had booked a JS and the others had balconies since there was only 1 JS left it was a sailing within 30 days. After hanging up, I got a call back saying Royal wouldn't take my payment as the room was gone because the 20 minute hold had expired and not longer available while the TA was doing all the other rooms and payments. This was on a Saturday. My TA said they would call resolutions on Monday since I had booked and paid for a JS with the travel agency.

The TA called back on Monday and told me that I was upgraded to a GS since there were no more JS available and the room had gotten double booked.

If I would have gone through Royal, I bet I would have been refunded the money and then have to go down to a balcony.

I use a small local TA in my home and in one particular incident where she came to my rescue, was when I was suddenly moved from my Mid Ship Cabin to forward. I noticed this upon checking my booking online. I immediately called her and she had just got off the phone with the agent to tell them in no uncertain terms to put me back in my original cabin. It was done. I doubt I could have achieved the same results. While I might not get the large OBC many do who use a larger company, she and her staff's honesty and and continued service keep me using her. For each of us who book our cruises, whether with a TA or direct with the cruise line, the bottom line, is we are satisfied and happy with the results.