Vino di casa

sail7seas

Does anyone know about the corkage fee? How much is it? Also where can I find the price list of the wines on Holland America? I tend to like south American and Australian wines . Not sure if I should pay corkage fees and bring my own or buy on ship.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You are welcome, Sail. Thanks for a nice thread, even if you did try to post it 3 times initially:D(y), lol

:D Three attempts likely fits into the range of average for me. ;)

Oops :embarrassed:

Does anyone know about the corkage fee? How much is it? Also where can I find the price list of the wines on Holland America? I tend to like south American and Australian wines . Not sure if I should pay corkage fees and bring my own or buy on ship.

Why not start a new thread? You might get more participation with a different title?

Corkage fee is $18

I like South American and Australian too. Much more than wines discussed here ;)

There are a few on board. I did post the listing on my live thread. I'll take a look and see if I can spot it easily.

If you like different choices, I would bring some with me if you are fussy. HAL's are ok but limited and they can run out.

Here is a good reference for recent wine pricing on HAL ships (5/2018). http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/MDR-Beverage.pdf

As kazu mentioned, the corkage fee is $18 / bottle, for those bottles brought onboard beyond the one (750 ml) bottle per adult that is allowed and not subject to the $18 corkage fee.

Corkage fee is $18

I like South American and Australian too. Much more than wines discussed here ;)

There are a few on board. I did post the listing on my live thread. I'll take a look and see if I can spot it easily.

If you like different choices, I would bring some with me if you are fussy. HAL's are ok but limited and they can run out.

New Zealand Cloudy Bay is sooo good. :) When well chilled.(sauvignon blanc)

Edited by sail7seas

We've got a Holland cruise booked for November. I've already bought six bottles especially for that cruise. Personally, we find the wines that are available on board to be very overpriced. We prefer to bring wines we know we will like that we can get for reasonable prices. We have a very nice wine store here. I take copies of the menus and he recommends certain wines. We buy these wines for $20 to $50. They would be $75 or more on board. At that price point, we want wines we know we will like.

I think you'll find that Holland will charge three to four times what you would pay at Total Wine. In effect, the price of a glass will be about what TW charges for a bottle.

Corkage is $18 and that wine can be consumed anywhere wine can be consumed on the ship. You get one bottle per person over 21 w/o corkage assuming that bottle is consumed in your cabin.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2 is an excellent resource for menus of all kinds, especially beverage menus.

We love wine and will be trying the Elite beverage package for the first time this next cruise. It offers the best option for wine provided on the ship. (Beverage package details can also be found at the above linked website) There are also some wine by the bottle packages. We will still however will bring on a bottle or two of everyday white wines for the cabin, a bottle of fancy bubbles to share with our family at our anniversary dinner, and a nice red for specialty dining. So kinda best of both worlds :D

Hope this helps.:)

Corkage is $18 and that wine can be consumed anywhere wine can be consumed on the ship. You get one bottle per person over 21 w/o corkage assuming that bottle is consumed in your cabin.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2 is an excellent resource for menus of all kinds, especially beverage menus.

We love wine and will be trying the Elite beverage package for the first time this next cruise. It offers the best option for wine provided on the ship. (Beverage package details can also be found at the above linked website) There are also some wine by the bottle packages. We will still however will bring on a bottle or two of everyday white wines for the cabin, a bottle of fancy bubbles to share with our family at our anniversary dinner, and a nice red for specialty dining. So kinda best of both worlds :D

Hope this helps.:)

Sounds like a plan

I think you'll find that Holland will charge three to four times what you would pay at Total Wine. In effect, the price of a glass will be about what TW charges for a bottle.

Yeah but Total Wine FLL rocks. I mean going there is like a mini vacation for those of us without one. We have been longing after one here in Nashville. They have one in Knoxville... /sigh /pout :D

I mostly drink French wine, albeit inexpensive (Old World palate here). For that reason I'm bringing four cases on board for the upcoming Grand Asia. I already have the wine, and I figure that for the $18 corkage fee I'll still be paying a lot less than for HAL wines, not to mention that they don't have French wines for the most part.

But then, I don't have to fly with the wine, it's already in the Seattle (embarkation) area, which makes my decision more obvious.

And that's funny, because I just graduated from a two-year winemaking program, learning to make Washington wine. But it didn't manage to change my palate.

I would prefer more French wines and New Zealand wines myself. Maybe some from Valle de Guadalupe, possible from Spain. I saw a recent wine list and for wines by the glass not too impressed. I was surprised that Celebrity had a better wine list since I found that a bit lacking too. Grass isn't always greener, but I'm sure we will find wines to drink on our upcoming HAL cruise.