Walk Off Disembarkation

parislady40

Hi everyone. I've done self-assist walk-off previously for a very early departure off the ship. This time, however, we have no rush and still wish to walk off with our luggage at the end of disembarkation time. We will find a quiet spot. Is this possible, or is walk-off restricted to early departure only? We will only have one bag each. I prefer to keep my bag with me at night in case I forget something with so little luggage. Thanks for your answers!!

On the Escape a few weeks ago I debarked the ship with the last group, and took my own luggage off. I had breakfast then collected my luggage from my cabin by 9am so that I wasn't preventing my steward from getting on with their job. I went up on deck and sat with my bags until the last group were called off the ship at around 10.15am.

Yes, but you would have to put your luggage out the night before if you wish to collect where the luggage is held after the cruise. You are free to have a slow and easy breakfast and go off when your luggage label color is called. To be honest, I am not sure re 10:15 am disembark time. I have never stayed that long. I am sure there are experts here who can guide you re the times!!

Yes, but you would have to put your luggage out the night before if you wish to collect where the luggage is held after the cruise. You are free to have a slow and easy breakfast and go off when your luggage label color is called. To be honest, I am not sure re 10:15 am disembark time. I have never stayed that long. I am sure there are experts here who can guide you re the times!!

Thanks. Our flight home will not leave until 4 pm. No need to rush to the airport.

You can do this even if you do not carry your own bags right? Just get out of the room, have a leisurely breakfast and get off at 10:15? Pick up your luggage off the ship?
Yes... You select the colour tag according to the time you wish to disembark. On the Escape in NYC it was 10.15am.

Sent using Tapatalk

CazV, that is exactly what we want to do. A casual breakfast, collect bags and enjoy the last few moments.
It worked really well for me. The queue (line) was much shorter than some cruise friends I made apparently waited in. I was off fairly quickly and enjoyed sitting thinking about the fantastic week I'd just had. It was nice to have that final quiet time.

Sent using Tapatalk

Do we need to get any luggage tags if we only have carry on luggage? Can we walk off anytime with no tags? Thanks

We are on the Escape now and have received various responses from guest services when I inquired.

Lets say “no” but read the disembarkation instructions. NY is he one port that has experimented off-and-on with self walk off color tags. Our observation is that 1/2 the people didn’t get a tag and the other 1/2 ignored the time associated with the tag they got.

Expect a line to get off the ship. A line in the terminal to get down the escalator to Customs. And a line at Customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Rich. When I walked off the Epic in 2017, I still had to have tags. They were dark green(may vary by ship/sailing), and I was surprised at how fast they went. I think it is their way of telling how many people to expect to take advantage of it. They have to arrange staff numbers. It was hundreds on my sailing. Now, I will be honest in that I did not note if everyone had tags on disembarkation morning. We were all lined up in order of arrival, no line cutting. It was very organized. One guy had a portable trolly for his mega pieces of luggage(family and transatlantic). I would say, get the tags.

CazV, that is exactly what we want to do. A casual breakfast, collect bags and enjoy the last few moments.

They want you out of the room by 8:00 am so they can start the turnover process. When you go for your leisurely breakfast, have all of your bags with you. Better yet, if you want a leisurely breakfast, use the porters to get your bags off he ship.

Rich, my suggestion is to get the tags for walk-off as they are issued for that reason. Then there is no problem. Are the tags all gone at this point for you? Why do you not just get the tags? The simplest solution, then you can relax and enjoy the remainder of the cruise. I will get the tags even though I will do a late walk off.

Thanks Bird. I will vacate the room on time. The room stewards need all the time they can get!

Just an FYI for NYC and possibly other ports. Doing self walk off is great and pretty easy. However you need to be able to handle your bags. I've seen many times people really struggling moving their suitcases around. Its a long walk from the ship, down the ramps and thru customs. This can lead to people blocking the ramps. If your walking slow keep to the right. If you can't handle your luggage don't. Also keep in mind if you have more than a carry on you might be forced to use the elevator. Its slow and does not hold a lot of people. This is done to insure people with large suitcases don't go tumbling down the escalator (which I have seen happen). I know in NYC and Tampa they have someone stationed at the top of the escalator, if they think you can't handle it they won't let you down. This is done for your safety as well as the safety of others

They want you out of the room by 8:00 am so they can start the turnover process. When you go for your leisurely breakfast, have all of your bags with you. Better yet, if you want a leisurely breakfast, use the porters to get your bags off he ship.

It said 9am on the Disembarkation Programme.

We typically book early return flights and do the self walk off early. On our last cruise we had a late return flight so tried traditional disembarkation. Never again!!! Our tags estimated that we would be getting off around 9:30 which was perfect. We got up, gathered our things, went to breakfast in the MDR around 8. And then we’re at our departure lounge by 9. And then we waited, and waited, and waited. There was some delay with the luggage and we weren’t able to leave until after 11. Sorry, even if we aren’t in a hurry I don’t enjoy sitting in a crowded lounge waiting for hours when we could be off and sightseeing (which was our plan for the day).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. Our flight home will not leave until 4 pm. No need to rush to the airport.

Have you thought about doing an end of the cruise tour booked through Norwegian?

You would set your bags out the night before, be gathered in a specific place on board ship, be guided off, get your bags, go through Customs, directed to the correct bus and off you go. You end at the airport about 2 P.M.

I have done it several times and works well for me. Beats sitting in the airport longer than necessary. Sometimes getting through the ticket counters and Security screening is a pain if more than one ship is disembarking passengers at the same time like Miami.

Have you thought about doing an end of the cruise tour booked through Norwegian?

You would set your bags out the night before, be gathered in a specific place on board ship, be guided off, get your bags, go through Customs, directed to the correct bus and off you go. You end at the airport about 2 P.M.

I have done it several times and works well for me. Beats sitting in the airport longer than necessary. Sometimes getting through the ticket counters and Security screening is a pain if more than one ship is disembarking passengers at the same time like Miami.

I will look into it. Thanks.