Passport Stamps

derhart

Will Celebrity stamp my passport for each stop on my cruise? I'm sailing to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados and just recently obtained my passport. I'd love to get some stamps. If Celebrity won't do it, is there somewhere at each port where I can get it stamped (post office, visitor center, etc)?

thank you!

Sorry to disappoint you, but Many countries don't bother with stamps anymore. Heck, most developed countries are installing automated machines for passport control. And those do not stamp.

If you thought you were going to get passport stamps as souvenirs, you'll have to find a replacement. In the not too distant future, they are going to be as common as rotary dial telephones.

PS. Nearly always, we leave our passports in the hotel/cabin safe, and both of us carry photo copies. If we get pickpockets or carry bags get stolen, I want my passport where it's safe.

If we were to miss the boat or fall ill on shore, the photocopies won't suffice as official documents, but will greatly speed up the process of replacement.

There is strict rules on who can stamp and write on a passport. Random stamps (e.g. from post offices and visitor center) could invalidate your passport and/or you can have some fines. Remember, passport is a official document of your country, it is not your diary.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to get a lot of stamps in your passport. Contrary to what has been reported many countries still stamp your passport on entry. I was in the UK, Spain and Italy in the past month (by air) and got stamped on entry and exit from each country.

I'm starting to get low on pages and just found out they have discontinued to add additional pages to passports. When getting full you need to now apply for a New Passport at $110 (effective 2016). They do have an option to get a 52 page passport for the same price.

We tried getting our passport stamped on many of the islands and may have two at most. I don’t think anyone does that anymore. We no longer look or bother with it.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌊

I wouldn't be in a hurry to get a lot of stamps in your passport. Contrary to what has been reported many countries still stamp your passport on entry. I was in the UK, Spain and Italy in the past month (by air) and got stamped on entry and exit from each country.

I'm starting to get low on pages and just found out they have discontinued to add additional pages to passports. When getting full you need to now apply for a New Passport at $110 (effective 2016). They do have an option to get a 52 page passport for the same price.

I travel for work and had to renew in JAN 2017 so I opted for the extended page book. Now I have two stamps for my trips to Ireland.

I travel for work and had to renew in JAN 2017 so I opted for the extended page book. Now I have two stamps for my trips to Ireland.

We will be applying for the extended page passport near the end of the year. I think I am down to 2 pages left and passport is only 4 years old.. I also found that if you have valid Visa's in you old passport you can just bring you old passport along with your new one. Have you had any experience with this?

We will be applying for the extended page passport near the end of the year. I think I am down to 2 pages left and passport is only 4 years old.. I also found that if you have valid Visa's in you old passport you can just bring you old passport along with your new one. Have you had any experience with this?

No, only because I have not had to apply for any visas for my past travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very few cruise passengers have contact with customs/immigration when visiting a port thus no possibility of getting a stamp. There are souvenir retailers at some ports who will stamp your passport for a small fee. Look out for them

Some countries will let you use a valid visa in an expired passport with a current passport. The U.S. does, but you should check with individual countries.

Hi

As far as Business Travel,Yes you can use your Valid Visa from your expired/used passport. Bring both passports when you need the Visa. I do this for Brazil and India for Business travel.

Thanks for the information on Visa's. I have a 10 year India and Brazil Visa and will make sure I check before needing to use them. The India Visa can really be a tough Visa and wasn't looking forward to go through that again.

Thanks for the information on Visa's. I have a 10 year India and Brazil Visa and will make sure I check before needing to use them. The India Visa can really be a tough Visa and wasn't looking forward to go through that again.

Jim_Iain - while you can go through the process to do it yourself to fill out visa paperwork followed by hand walking or mailing of the passport to get updated visa processed, there is a service I use for these types of things that I trust. Feel free to email me and I will provide information.

I also found that if you have valid Visa's in you old passport you can just bring you old passport along with your new one. Have you had any experience with this?

Yes. Our Argentinian visas (certificate that we paid the reciprocity fee) were glued into our old passports. On our subsequent trips we carried both our old with visa and new passports. Everyone accepted both documents without a problem. Now, of course, there is no reciprocity fee but at the time there was.

There is strict rules on who can stamp and write on a passport. Random stamps (e.g. from post offices and visitor center) could invalidate your passport and/or you can have some fines. Remember, passport is a official document of your country, it is not your diary.

I totally disagree!

Twice I have had immigration officials make complementary comments about the stamp in my passport from Machu Picchu and also my "bottom of the world" Ushuaia stamp. NO fines or invalidated passport!

Every port I go to, I find the customs/immigration office (every port has one) and ask for a stamp in my passport. Most of the people are so friendly and happy to do it. In all my travels the only port I was turned away was Kiel, Germany. Or, the office was closed. (lunch hour, etc)

I try and ask a guard where the offices are and some are very hard to find. Most are in unmarked buildings. So, if you don't mind taking 30 minutes out of your day, hunt the office down. If one country turns you down keep trying. Good Luck!

ps....one time I had to wait behind a man with 15-20 passports in his hand. He was the captain of a container ship. Great experience for me.

Coolcruise02, Were the officials American? I had the Machu Picchu stamp on the last page of my passport and had no trouble because no one ever saw it. I'm glad I didn't know I could get a stamp in Tierra del Fuego as my passport was new at that time

I haven't been on Princess in a few years but they used to have stamps for each Cruise. I mean actual lick'em stamps, not to be put in a passport, of course. They would hand out a book to enter them in. A nice idea but I don't know whether it's still done

Edited by BosoxI

I totally disagree!

Twice I have had immigration officials make complementary comments about the stamp in my passport from Machu Picchu and also my "bottom of the world" Ushuaia stamp. NO fines or invalidated passport!

Well, you can disagree, but if you have a U.S. passport, page 5 clearly states that such stamps can invalidate your passport.

You may eventually run into the immigration official who does care.

Regarding stamps, I have never been "stamped" when traveling via air between Schengen countries, but with the UK on your list I'm assuming there was other travel involved.

Passport wise When I renewed mine last year, I lucked into an agent who noticed the extra pages sewn into my old one and she issued me the extended one. A friend ran into trouble when an airline agent wouldn't board him when using a valid visa in an old passport some years ago, so I've tended to practice Falstaff's advice regarding discretion when it comes to such things, but only current experience was in getting a new Turkish e-visa while the old one still had some time on it.

We did a 30 day South American cruise earlier this year in which they took our passports at beginning of the cruise and returned at the end. I was happy to see some stamps in it from some of the countries we went to including the Falklands which had a penguin on it :)