Favorite/least favorite airlines

CruisingSince2012

The answer to this question is so subjective that there is no right or wrong answer. A variety of people travel for different reasons with different price points and different expectations. As one ages and their experiences and health changes so does the needs. What I was willing to put up with 20-30 years ago I am more inclined to say no these days and aim for something I wouldn't think would have been worth it back then.

Not saying you are wrong but what is the difference between racking up miles on Delta's frequent flyer miles and doing the same with the Capital One Venture Card, then using all of those miles on the same airline?

When I lived in Ohio, all of my flights were domestic. I never needed premium seats. For flyikng to Europe, I agree business or first class seats (or wahtever the airlinesl call tthem) are better. Otherwise, I am fine in a basic economy seat.

The fact that their seats are not pre-assigned can be either good or bad, depending on your seating preferences.

There is a BIG difference.....namely, that I am talking about a completely different kind of miles. With Delta, a flight earns two different kinds of miles. 1. Sky MIles...these are "regular" frequent flyer miles that can be redeemed for a free ticket at some point. 2. Medallion Qualifying MIles....these are unredeemable miles that give status with the airline. That status translates to things like better seat selection, free upgrades on domestic flights, free checked bags (along with additional free checked bags and free overweight bags), upgrades that can be used to turn an international coach ticket into a business class ticket at no extra cost, and so forth.

For very frequent flyers like myself, it is these status-earning miles that are so crucial, as they increase the quality of the overall flying experience.

I take it CLT is the closest major international airport Trucker?

What's weird here is even after U.S. Airways became part of American Airlines, the signs at GNV are still for U.S. Airways. I only figured out it is no longer an independent airline by listening to a flight attendent upon arrival in Charlotte.

Yes. It is the closest one to me here in Charleston. (though if I was to use Delta like Waterbug123, Atlanta would be the most convenient. Even though CLT is physically closer than ATL). When I lived in Houston, UA was the best choice and AA was second. Now that I relocated to CHS where we are not hub captive AA works best for me. (mostly because I have about 300k lifetime miles and a "slight"chance of hitting the million mile mark some day). While I never had any issue with UA and loved the E+ seating subscription, UA just doesn't make much sense for me in CHS any more. (unless I am going to NYC then the multiple CHS-EWR flights are nice and pretty cheap it bought far enough in advance)

There are few t hings to like at GNV. One of htem is it does not serve UA.
Why is that an advantage? You're not obliged to use UA at any particular airport, even if it flies there. And one day, at such an airport you might be glad of a UA option because none of the others makes any sense.

As you are finding with the trip that you are tortuously planning, the fewer options you have, the more likely they are to be inconvenient.

Why is that an advantage? You're not obliged to use UA at any particular airport, even if it flies there. And one day, at such an airport you might be glad of a UA option because none of the others makes any sense.

Excellent point. Just another reason the original question is so vague and subjective. UA flies just fine to a lot of great places. In the last 2 years, I have flown several times to Hawaii, and also to Munich. Have yet to see a Southwest flight to those locations, but I don't diss Southwest, generally, even though I hate cattle call seating.

As you are finding with the trip that you are tortuously planning, the fewer options you have, the more likely they are to be inconvenient.

I am not torturing myself here, Not sure where you got that from. The planning process has not even started yet.

UA does not make sense. Instead of flying straight north for a flight to Europe they only transport passengers to ORD even though that is flying in the wrong direction. So it is more convinent to fly on DL or AA. for where I am going.

Or that UA's presence means more competitive pricing for the other airlines you'd rather fly.

UA does not make sense. Instead of flying straight north for a flight to Europe they only transport passengers to ORD even though that is flying in the wrong direction. So it is more convinent to fly on DL or AA. for where I am going.

I haven't ever really understood the "out of the way" point that is often tossed around on these boards.

If DL is the "straightest line" but force you into a 4hr layover, whereas UA/AA or whoever via ORD or a slightly less direct routing but only have a 90min layover then it's faster to go in the non-straight line option. It isn't as if someone is suggesting you fly from Florida to Europe via Los Angeles.

Heck, when I lived in VA I almost flew RIC-DFW-LHR to get home because it allowed me a longer night's sleep on the overnight sector.

I am not torturing myself here,

"tortuous" : Full of twists and turns, or excessively lengthy and complex.

"torturous" : Involving extreme pain or suffering.

So what? None of that has got anything to do with why it is (as you assert) a positive advantage for GNV to have no UA flights at all. Your point about the direction would be just as true (if it is a valid point at all) if there were a UA presence at GNV which you choose not to use.

Actually I don't care about loyalty programs.

Then you are missing out on a lot of benefits. I personally haven't paid for a flight since 2012, but in that time have flown to Europe in business class no less than 3 times, all using airline miles.

UA does not make sense. Instead of flying straight north for a flight to Europe they only transport passengers to ORD even though that is flying in the wrong direction.

What about Newark? UA has way more flights to Europe from there than they do from ORD. There is also IAD.

United doesn't fly to EWR or IAD from Gainesville.

UA doesn't fly anywhere from GNV. I was responding to OP's statement about UA sending passengers to ORD to get to Europe. I'm assuming that OP was referring to other airports in the area. UA does fly to EWR and IAD from JAX, MCO and TPA.

The reason for that is a nice tradeoff: few delays and cancellations. I read a few years ago Southwest has one of hte best on-time rates because they only fly Boeing 737 aircraft, which results in on-plane crew not having to make adjustments or changes related to differences in the aircraft itself. I am not sure what this means, but it is true Southwest has a higher on-time rate than big airlines with many sizes and types of airplanes.

Not sure how I missed this the first time around but Southwest doesn't have the highest on time rating, in fact it's below average for 2017 based on the DOT statistics. All the big three carriers come in above it.

Southwest also has the second worst mishandled baggage handling statistics (just behind AA), although it's still less than 3 per 1000 enplaned passengers.

Southwest also has almost double the industry average of involuntary denied boarding passengers...more than 8200 people in 2017, compare that to the second busiest carrier in the US, Delta, who had less than 10% of that (689 total).

Source:

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/resources/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/304371/2018februaryatcr_0.pdf

And the spread between the named 12 airlines is just about 10%...84% to 74%. That isn't huge, unless you are on a late flight.

And the hated United is #1, the vaunted Southwest is #8 of 12. Hate those facts...

CruisingSince2012, there are a lot of myths, out dated facts and misconceptions about Southwest. Yes, Southwest at one time had great on time performances...but that has been slipping over about the last 10 years. There is a false myth that Southwest always has the best fares. Not true. There are pluses and minus's about Southwest...but selecting Southwest as your best and only airline would be very limiting to your travel plans.

Edited by CruiserBruce

What about Newark? UA has way more flights to Europe from there than they do from ORD. There is also IAD.

From MCO on June 11, 2019 all of the United flights I saw were to ORD. I sorted them on Exoedia by "earliest landing" and then "lowest price." If United flies from MCO to EWR to BUD on that date, both the price and time are terrible.

United doesn't fly to EWR or IAD from Gainesville.

No airline does. There is a reaons they call GNV a regional airport. My only northbound choices are ATL and CLT.

From MCO on June 11, 2019 all of the United flights I saw were to ORD. I sorted them on Exoedia by "earliest landing" and then "lowest price." If United flies from MCO to EWR to BUD on that date, both the price and time are terrible.

United doesn't fly to BUD at all (or PRG for that matter). That is why nothing came up on your search. I guess as part of Star Alliance, they are content to let Lufthansa handle those routes.