Lifeguard on NCL?!?

GUEST080219

Interesting. Never experienced it before and never heard of it. Thought that would have been big news the cruise lines had an interest to make public.

On a different note the more important change no more pre batched drinks here neither in Sugarcane nor Shakers. Love it.

That will be a wonderful change; especially if they actually control what happens in and round the pool.

Actually I saw the lifeguard today stopping adults from drinking out of plastic cups in the whirlpool. I would rather have NCL add staff in other departments though.

Sorry for missing the news about adding lifeguards dated from last year so I guess we can let this thread go die now [emoji3]

Well this is interesting. The news item is from April 2017 and said they would roll out Lifeguards by summer (2017). Yet we were on Breakaway December 2017 and we still had deck attendants (no running, no kids in the pool) and not lifeguards. They tried to kick my 18 year old daughter out of the pool. He gave me a face like "I don't believe you" when I told him she's 18. Went and got her card to prove it.

Deck attendants are definitely not the same thing as lifeguards. But- it is better than nothing. Making sure kids under a certain age are not allowed unattended in the pools is an important lifesaving measure. This in no way negates the need for parents of younger children to be actively watching their children while in/at the pool with them. Many parents do not realize how dangerous water can be. Drowning is the number one cause of accidental death for children under 4.

First time I remember to have seen that. Now at the pool of the Jade. Is it fleet wide already?

Yes, there was one on the BA this summer. However she was never rotated out (aren’t they supposed to rotate every 20 min or so?) and didn’t enforce any rules like running or beverages. And it seemed to me the majority of kids didn’t have a parent watching them, as the deck chairs aren’t really by the pool

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I heard when Disney added them, and this Cruise Critic article from 2017 lists Disney, NCL and RCL as lines that have Red Cross certified lifeguards.

It's a good move because children can drown even while surrounded by adults. Life guards are trained to spot drowning while most of us don't have a clue someone is in trouble in the water.

I heard when Disney added them, and this Cruise Critic article from 2017 lists Disney, NCL and RCL as lines that have Red Cross certified lifeguards.

It's a good move because children can drown even while surrounded by adults. Life guards are trained to spot drowning while most of us don't have a clue someone is in trouble in the water.

Like button.

They are more to watch people on the deck and keep them from running than they are to watch people in the pools. They provide a false sense of security.

It can even be argued that they make it less safe since some parents will think that lifeguards being present relieve them form their parental supervision responsibilities.

A properly trained lifeguard will require that parents attend to their children, that a life vest is being worn, or that a swim test can be passed. I would personally approach a lifeguard on his/her phone and explain to them the importance of their job. I am sure it can be frustrating for them, as if they try to point out the need for parents to attend to their children, they may get attitude back- but if the communication is handled properly and with respect, I have found most parents to be responsive (speaking as a former lifeguard and now concerned person who tries to help educate parents so they do not have to experience the unfathomable loss of a drowned child).