First Time Princess Cruiser, Long time Royal Caribbean

Fast_Camaro

Hi fellas!! As the title says, I’ve cruised exclusively with Royal Caribbean ships for a while.

Now my family’s have picked Coral Princess to go to Alaska next year June 19th. I will be F504 (fiesta deck). Looking through posts and stuff. Not finding what I’m looking for.

Do you need to “reserve” for the shows and stuff like that?? Does Princess Coral have anything like The Quest??

What is the general MDR attire?

Thank y’all.

Hi fellas!! As the title says, I’ve cruised exclusively with Royal Caribbean ships for a while.

Now my family’s have picked Coral Princess to go to Alaska next year June 19th. I will be F504 (fiesta deck). Looking through posts and stuff. Not finding what I’m looking for.

Do you need to “reserve” for the shows and stuff like that?? Does Princess Coral have anything like The Quest??

Thank y’all.

Nope, no reservations needed or taken for the shows. Just show up. It's recommended to show up around 15-30minutes or so for the production shows, or the popular game shows (Liars Club, yes/no, marriage show, etc - these are in smaller lounge, limited seating)..

MDR dress is not as casual as RCI. Formal nights will see suits, tuxes, dress pants/sport coat and tie, etc while most ladies in cocktail dresses, nice dresses, sparkly type pant suits, etc. Smart casual sees mostly nice long pants (clean neat jeans OK), Polo or shirt sleeve dress shirts, etc and ladies in nice dresses, slacks and blouse, etc. Generally, more dressed up than RCI overall. Daytime is casual all the way.

You'll have more live music in general, better buffet hours (open continuously 6am-11pm or so), no charge for room service at all 24/7 (except $3 for pizza), International Cafe, which is 24/7 small bites and desserts, etc .

In general, more laid back atmosphere than RCI in the sense of not as much activites, no slides, rock climbing , flow rider, etc. Lots of activities to participate in if you want - just generally quieter, more laid back than RCI - not lots of flash, loud music, much less crowded (and we're huge fans of Oasis class ship, BTW), lots of quiet spaces, clearly defined adult only spaces, etc

Have s great time!

PS: the last three years, our Princess Cruises have had a version of the Quest. They don't call it that though, and it's not as involved as the one on RCI.. It's held in a small lounge, not the theater, most people don't carry onboard the items, etc. It's fun, just not as raucous as on RCI...

Edited by reedprincess

No and no.

Smart casual. What you would wear to a reasonable restaurant at home.

Thank y’all.

Please see my comments above. Have a wonderful cruise. :)

Thank y’all.

First of all the Coral is one of my Favorite ships. Approximately 2,000 passengers, lots of public space, theater plus a large show lounge, lots of live entertainment in Wheelhouse bar, Explorer's Lounge, Crooner's, Universe Lounge, and atrium. Two specialty restaurants, Bayou Steakhouse and Sabatini's, plus some special dining like The Crab Shack, Chef's Table.

No reservations for shows, but I would recommend showing up at least 30 mins early, especially for the production shows and comics. The late evening shows are normally less crowded than the mid evening ones.

Besides the DR there is free dining at the International Cafe open 24/7, Horizon Ct. buffet open continuously from 6am until around 11pm, never closes, By the lido pool there is a grill on deck 15 and pizza on deck 14 plus soft ice cream by the indoor pool. All no charge and open from around 11am until mid evening. On sea days you may find individual pizzas, waiter served at Sabatini's, called Alfredo's at Sabatini's. Also on sea days are pub lunches. Both of these are also no charge. Look in the Princess Patter for details.

In Alaska MDR attire is more casual than other itineraries, but you may find restrictions on shorts for dinner.

The Quest. Is this the game where the cruise director ask for certain items, for example a $2 bill, any euro, pink socks, etc.? If so, I have seen this game on Princess ships, it is a rare activity, and passengers don't come with bags of items.

Princess has become more casual in recent years allowing people to wear casual clothing on formal night in the DR.

A pair of dress pants & even a short sleeve dress shirt are all that's really required although many people still like to dress up.

On casual nights a pair of jeans & any shirt will suffice.

As others have said, get to the show lounge 30 minutes early for a decent seat.

We always get there early for an aisle seat so be can leave the second the show is over & not have to listen to the 5 minute commercial from the CD about all the events that are happening on the ship.

Don't miss the production show On the Bayou in the Universe Lounge (it will be announced in the Patter daily newsletter). It was developed specifically for the Coral and Island Princesses (the Island now stages it in the Princess theater because its Universe Lounge was 'remodeled' a few years ago). It is the most enjoyable show we've seen on Princess.

totally agree about On the Bayou...would be the only princess show we would care about seeing a second time:D

we saw it on the Island before the reno , during a 10 day partial transit of the PC

also really enjoy the steakhouse on that ship

I am going on my first Princess cruise, too and I purchased the soda package. Does Princess give a souvenir cup with a lid as part of the package? I know Royal Caribbean and Carnival do, but I wondered about Princess. Thanks!

I am going on my first Princess cruise, too and I purchased the soda package. Does Princess give a souvenir cup with a lid as part of the package? I know Royal Caribbean and Carnival do, but I wondered about Princess. Thanks!

Sometimes - Yes. Many times - No

Cups are available on some ships and not others.

Sometimes - Yes. Many times - No

Cups are available on some ships and not others.

Thanks!

We will be on Island Princess. If the cup is part of the soft drink package - great! If not I am sure I will manage and be happy!

The last few years when we asked we have received a plastic cup with a lid and straw. You don't need the cup to get the drinks.

I am new to Princess. My friend and I will be doing the PC in January 2019. I've been a sole NCL person, so this will be something new. I have noticed that there no perks when you book with Princess. I made the mistake of going through an online cruise agent and will not do that again. I always book directly with NCL and going through a travel agent, I am not getting good customer service.

I am new to Princess. My friend and I will be doing the PC in January 2019. I've been a sole NCL person, so this will be something new. I have noticed that there no perks when you book with Princess. I made the mistake of going through an online cruise agent and will not do that again. I always book directly with NCL and going through a travel agent, I am not getting good customer service.

Yeah, there actually are perks when you book with Princess, it just depends on the perks.

Currently, the Sip and Sail promo is happening for North American bookings. IE Premier Beverage package included in price of cruise..

Starting Sept 6, 3 for Free, ie cabin upgrade, specialty dining and OBC, or similar....

Different perks from NCL - but perks nonetheless...

depending on how close you are to sailing you can have your online travel agent cancel and rebook your same cruise to get the current perks that Princess is offering. If they tell you they can't do that; you may want to look into cancelling your cruise with them and re book directly with Princess

Fast_Camero, I sailed to Alaska with Princess last year and the dress code was very relaxed. Formal nights there were a few suits for men; but mostly was long sleeve shirt and pants for men. Non formal nights had all type of dress for dinner. Polo shirts, jeans, sneakers.