Brooklyn terminal in NY

augies

There is a wealth of information on the East Coast Departure Board regarding your question. After much research, we ( 4 adults) will be reserving a car service Dial7. We also embark at the Brooklyn Terminal.

There is a wealth of information on the East Coast Departure Board regarding your question. After much research, we ( 4 adults) will be reserving a car service Dial7. We also embark at the Brooklyn Terminal.

We use Dial7 often (212-777-7777). There prices are reasonable, they are dependable and there's never an issue with accommodating the luggage. However, I'm guessing Uber would be even cheaper.

Carmel Car Service (Dial 7 missed my pickup at EWR so to heck with them -- if they can't manage an airport pickup, then I have no confidence they can find their way to Brooklyn). Reasonable price, car spotless, driver early and very friendly. Knew the quickest way without my having to give him directions.

As for Uber/Lyft, my parents always told me not to get into cars with strangers. So, no. Just no.

Best way would be Uber or Lyft since you will know the fare in advance and it does not change if you get stuck in traffic. And driving to Red Hook can truly get you stuck in traffic....especially as you approach the port area where traffic can back up for many blocks. There is only a single street into the port drop off area and the vehicle queue can move quite slow.

There is also an issue with some NYC taxis where they simply refuse fares to Red Hook. Depending on the time of the day they fear not being able to get a return fare. About 2 years ago we stopped at one of the taxi queues outside of Penn Station and asked a taxi driver to take us over to Red Hook. He quickly refused and motioned us to the 2nd driver in the queue. As they both looked at me I pulled out my iPhone and asked them how long did they think it would take me to get Uber to our location (generally would take 1-3 min that time of day). The first driver sighed and said OK, I will take you. We told him he could take himself and summoned Uber :).

NYC is awash in taxis, green taxis (not able to pick up fares in much of Manhattan), Uber, Lyft, Black Cars, etc. There is a lot of competition and so many vehicles that its caused some real traffic problems (I drive in NYC quite often and have to deal with the traffic). The Mayor recently signed into law a new regulation that puts a limit on Uber and Lyft....but for the moment it is still a free for all :).

Hank

Carmel Car Service (Dial 7 missed my pickup at EWR so to heck with them -- if they can't manage an airport pickup, then I have no confidence they can find their way to Brooklyn). Reasonable price, car spotless, driver early and very friendly. Knew the quickest way without my having to give him directions.

As for Uber/Lyft, my parents always told me not to get into cars with strangers. So, no. Just no.

Used them twice out of Brooklyn and no problem. However, if a car service failed to pick me up I would spend my money elsewhere. ;)

LOL! So I assume you are good friends with all the taxi and car service drivers :). And by the way, in NYC both Uber and Lyft drivers must hold the same TLC License (issued by the city) as all other taxi and limo drivers.

Hank

There is also an issue with some NYC taxis where they simply refuse fares to Red Hook. Depending on the time of the day they fear not being able to get a return fare. About 2 years ago we stopped at one of the taxi queues outside of Penn Station and asked a taxi driver to take us over to Red Hook. He quickly refused and motioned us to the 2nd driver in the queue.

Taxi cab rules in NYC say that cabs must take you to any location you want in the city. When they refuse, get their name or cab number and report them.

Also, I have found if you get into the cab first and then tell the driver where you want to go, there is much less chance they will say no. A little harder to do this when you have luggage that needs to go into the trunk.