Cruise canceled by RCI before final payment!!

meg5

Has this happened to anyone else? I received two emails from RCI today - one from cruise planners to inform my shore excursion had been cancelled because of the cruise cancellation. At first I thought the itinerary had changed. I looked further down in my my email box and twenty minutes earlier there was an email from Royal Caribbean that my reservation had been cancelled as I had missed the final payment deadline.

I knew that wasn't true. My final payment date is August 29 as stated on my invoice. In fact, I had left a message on Saturday with my RCI Vacation Planner to call me as I wanted to pay the balance on my cruise.

I immediately called the number on the email and was just put into general customer service. The person on the other end could not explain what had happened. They confirmed that the due date was two days away. They put me through to a supervisor who would be able to reinstate the booking which happened. However, they couldn't reinstate the shore excursion as it had been permanently cancelled and needed time to process the updated info.

I had to call back a couple of hours later and book the shore excursion. Apparently the refund had already been issued to my credit card for the first booked excursion.

Both of the individuals from RCI were courteous, helpful and apologetic for which I am grateful.

What would you do? Would you pursue further?

Has this happened to anyone else? I received two emails from RCI today - one from cruise planners to inform my shore excursion had been cancelled because of the cruise cancellation. At first I thought the itinerary had changed. I looked further down in my my email box and twenty minutes earlier there was an email from Royal Caribbean that my reservation had been cancelled as I had missed the final payment deadline.

I knew that wasn't true. My final payment date is August 29 as stated on my invoice. In fact, I had left a message on Saturday with my RCI Vacation Planner to call me as I wanted to pay the balance on my cruise.

I immediately called the number on the email and was just put into general customer service. The person on the other end could not explain what had happened. They confirmed that the due date was two days away. They put me through to a supervisor who would be able to reinstate the booking which happened. However, they couldn't reinstate the shore excursion as it had been permanently cancelled and needed time to process the updated info.

I had to call back a couple of hours later and book the shore excursion. Apparently the refund had already been issued to my credit card for the first booked excursion.

Both of the individuals from RCI were courteous, helpful and apologetic for which I am grateful.

Pursue what? You are not out anything

Have you cancelled a drink package or internet package lately? Some have reported having their cruises cancelled my mistake and thought that cancelling apackage might have triggered the cruise cancellation.

PURSUE WHAT?

Unless I misread, it seems everything is back to the way it was before the mistake.

Although, you are out some effort and frustration, it seems all is well.

If you could please clarify your question.. What would you do?

In my world, if I had a customer who had been inconvienced at least an hour on the phone trying to correct a mistake. In addition, I knew that the customer would have to make further calls to re order and pay for something that they had already completed months before, . All for a reason that I could not explain why it happened, I would be offering something to them. But I probably have a higher standard regarding customer inconvenience and their perception of the efficiency of the brand of my company.

Please do not interpret that I am looking for a lot. And I want to emphasize as I did in my earlier posting - I have no complaint with the staff - I just think that a token gesture would be nice. Maybe put me on the upsell/upgrade email, maybe tell me your going to send a bottle of champagne to my room, maybe comp me the exursion.

I think this speaks to how much a company values the time and inconvenience of its customers when the company makes an error.

We all do. All companies do. I think that is the feedback I am going to give to Royal Caribbean

Ty for clarification. I Understand what your saying unfortunately MOST companies would not see this as an issue.

Be proud you work for a company that allows you to give compensation for EVERY error.

MOST companies are all about profits and shareholders opinions Only.

I think this speaks to how much a company values the time and inconvenience of its customers when the company makes an error.

The land side of RC is almost a different company than the ship. You are probably more likely to get something for your trouble if an issue comes up on board, than from the mindless robot CSRs on the shore side of RCI.

In my world, if I had a customer who had been inconvienced at least an hour on the phone trying to correct a mistake. In addition, I knew that the customer would have to make further calls to re order and pay for something that they had already completed months before, . All for a reason that I could not explain why it happened, I would be offering something to them. But I probably have a higher standard regarding customer inconvenience and their perception of the efficiency of the brand of my company.

Please do not interpret that I am looking for a lot. And I want to emphasize as I did in my earlier posting - I have no complaint with the staff - I just think that a token gesture would be nice. Maybe put me on the upsell/upgrade email, maybe tell me your going to send a bottle of champagne to my room, maybe comp me the exursion.

We all do. All companies do. I think that is the feedback I am going to give to Royal Caribbean

I am with you, OP. Simply reinstating your booking was not a great customer service. Not even close. Their error caused you a lot of unnecessary stress.

I "get" you, meg5. I would call back and politely request some OBC for your aggravation, or possibly a comped specialty restaurant dinner.

I agree. Not sure why anyone would think that an hour of time lost is "not out anything."

The gesture of a specialty restaurant dinner would be a good one. Barely costs the company anything, and can make a customer very happy.