Need Labor Day Sales advice

Iamthesea

My well known travel agency has a Labor Day sale going on. Extra incentives, for Loyalty members, ends today ($100 extra OBC ) before opening the sale to the general public. DH and are are trying to decide if we should go ahead and book now or wait.

An AQ starts at $3049pp for a 9 or 10 night cruise on the Constellation. With our Celebrity Elite status, we can upgrade to the A1 for no extra cost. That's about a $500 savings per person there!) However, the overall rates seem high for Europe...about $500 more pp for spring sailings over what we have booked in recent years, with the same perks.

I have been tracking prices for the last month and they have not gone up for this sale. So the perks are an added bonus! Still, there is a ton of inventory for the two cruises we are looking into. I can't help think that rates will go down sometime in the future. Yet, the same perks would probably not be included with lower rates. What would you do?

Here are the perks for booking a balcony or higher, in Europe, for late Spring 2019 (AQ for us):

1) A Premium Beverage Package for Two

2) $300 Shipboard Credit

3) Pre-Paid Gratuities for Two

4) Unlimited Internet for Two

5) * Book TODAY for an additional $100 OBC (Plus we get an addition $50 for being Loyalty members in this travel agency.)

Also, there is no mention of refundable or non refundable deposits. Has Celebrity dropped that practice? The travel agency does charge a small fee per person if we cancel, but in the past, we have been successful with them in transferring to another cruise and avoiding this fee.;)

I checked Roll Calls for both of the cruises we are looking at and the RC's are very minimal for cruises that are just 8 months away. Only 1 or 2 pages long and posting mostly by the same persons. :eek: Usually, our European RC's are very active!

Advice please! :D

I just booked with this travel agency during this sale. I got all of the incentives that you mentioned. This is for a Mediterranean cruise September, 2019. I had noticed that the cruise prices have been high for months, but don't seem to be coming down. I was told that the $900.00 deposit is refundable until 90 days before departure. I'm happy with the deal.

I can't say for sure but I've not seen any evidence that they are doing non refundable deposits anymore. If it's a refundable deposit then I'd book it if you were ok with the fare and watch for drops up to final payment. Of course if they have a fire sale after final you wouldn't be able to take advantage.

I just booked with this travel agency during this sale. I got all of the incentives that you mentioned. This is for a Mediterranean cruise September, 2019. I had noticed that the cruise prices have been high for months, but don't seem to be coming down. I was told that the $900.00 deposit is refundable until 90 days before departure. I'm happy with the deal.

Very helpful, thank you!

wrk2cruise

I can't say for sure but I've not seen any evidence that they are doing non refundable deposits anymore. If it's a refundable deposit then I'd book it if you were ok with the fare and watch for drops up to final payment. Of course if they have a fire sale after final you wouldn't be able to take advantage.

We always look for price drops. ;) Would take advantage if the perks remained the same. Most likely, we would upgrade to a Suite. Or we could book lower than an AQ and then upgrade if those went down. We would not wait for a fire sale to book. That's too close to departure and there is airfare to think about. ;)

kenevenpar

I couldn't bring myself to pay over $3000 pp for non-suite accommodations including all 4 "free" perks. Just me.
I think I will go to the Celebrity website and do a faux booking, without perks, to see the price difference. ;)

My well known travel agency has a Labor Day sale going on. Extra incentives, for Loyalty members, ends today ($100 extra OBC ) before opening the sale to the general public. DH and are are trying to decide if we should go ahead and book now or wait.

An AQ starts at $3049pp for a 9 or 10 night cruise on the Constellation. With our Celebrity Elite status, we can upgrade to the A1 for no extra cost. That's about a $500 savings per person there!) However, the overall rates seem high for Europe...about $500 more pp for spring sailings over what we have booked in recent years, with the same perks.

I have been tracking prices for the last month and they have not gone up for this sale. So the perks are an added bonus! Still, there is a ton of inventory for the two cruises we are looking into. I can't help think that rates will go down sometime in the future. Yet, the same perks would probably not be included with lower rates. What would you do?

Here are the perks for booking a balcony or higher, in Europe, for late Spring 2019 (AQ for us):

1) A Premium Beverage Package for Two

2) $300 Shipboard Credit

3) Pre-Paid Gratuities for Two

4) Unlimited Internet for Two

5) * Book TODAY for an additional $100 OBC (Plus we get an addition $50 for being Loyalty members in this travel agency.)

Also, there is no mention of refundable or non refundable deposits. Has Celebrity dropped that practice? The travel agency does charge a small fee per person if we cancel, but in the past, we have been successful with them in transferring to another cruise and avoiding this fee.;)

I checked Roll Calls for both of the cruises we are looking at and the RC's are very minimal for cruises that are just 8 months away. Only 1 or 2 pages long and posting mostly by the same persons. :eek: Usually, our European RC's are very active!

Advice please! :D

1- Celebrity has dropped non-refundable deposits !!

2- It looks to me like they are giving you "go best" and only giving you back $100 (150 in your case) from their commission.. doesnt seem like much (unless they are giving you go best at the go big price (the difference is $45 per day per person).

Steve

1- Celebrity has dropped non-refundable deposits !!

2- It looks to me like they are giving you "go best" and only giving you back $100 (150 in your case) from their commission.. doesnt seem like much (unless they are giving you go best at the go big price (the difference is $45 per day per person).

Steve

I've done several mock bookings and was able to get refundable deposits on Europe sailings. I don't know about other places, as those were the only ones I've tried.

I previously booked a cruise in Europe for the end of 2019. The price is 160.00 more for 2 people, but a better cabin, a premium bev. package and WIFI, I wonder if they will allow me to re-book under this sale? I sent an email out to customer service rep.

I previously booked a cruise in Europe for the end of 2019. The price is 160.00 more for 2 people, but a better cabin, a premium bev. package and WIFI, I wonder if they will allow me to re-book under this sale? I sent an email out to customer service rep.

That is certainly worth a try. Even though I booked yesterday, I plan to monitor my cruise and see if I can move up, without losing my perks.

Looked at a similar cruise yesterday. Comparing X price to the TAs price: from X with 1 perk $6337; TA price $6257 with 2 perks and the extra $100 + 50 loyalty OBC. Not sure how much the TA is charging to get the Go Best but seems at max to be $300 total (probably less).

TA pricing wins. If there are price drops in the future the $150 OBC should not be impacted however if the drop in pricing is significant the price of the Go Best could increase. Last year we booked during a similar promo and when our cruise had a 2 nd price drop totaling $1800 the price to keep the extra 2 perks increased a couple hundred $ but still a great price.

wendycook22 - If it is through the same TA as I have, it's possible to rebook before final payment. If you have a better cabin than an AQ, that's a Suite. Suites are suppose to get all 4 Perks, anyway.

***I did a mock booking on Celebrity. Their rates are higher! For an A2, the rate is $3300pp. It comes with 1 Perk. If the Beverage package is chosen, that's only the Classic package (which has gone down in quality.) It would cost an additional $405 pp to Go BEST. So I think I have answered my own question. The TA is selling the staterooms for less, and we get more incentives over purchasing through Celebrity!

Now the question is to whether we book AQ, or go with a standard balcony for now. I did check the rates on Sky Suites. Not only are they about $2000 more pp, but there are very few left. Only 4 S2 that are all wheelchair accessible, and about 4 S1's. So the chances of us being able to move up to a SS are slim.

Hatteras51

- Would you share the category that you picked for your cruise?

We booked an 11-day Caribbean early this year with the same agency, but not during one of their sales. At that time the perks were classic beverage package, gratuities, and $300 cabin credit, along with a lower group rate for A2. Initially they wouldn't allow us our Captain's Club one-category upgrade because of the group rate, but eventually they did agree that we could have an A1 for the same price in a great location. We also got the $50 loyalty credit.

The prices seemed a bit high, and I also thought they would come down, but since we booked, I have not found a better deal anywhere, and the ship filled up quickly and prices continued to rise. Yes, the same agency had a big sale over Memorial Day that included better perks, but the price per person was considerably higher and the cabin choices were very limited. I'm picky about my cabin but less so about the wine I drink! YMMV. I'm glad we didn't wait, because the later offerings were a much lesser value to us, and we would not have booked at that time.

Booking cruises these days is a real crapshoot. The prices are rising rapidly, and the cruise lines are jerking people around with perks.....now you see them, now you don't. Your deposit is refundable. Go with your gut.

My experience in July was I had to cancel and rebook. Based on the perks being offered it made sense for me to do so. However I am going solo so only had to spend $50 to cancel but I got an additional OBC that made up for that and upgraded to the go best which saved me from having to upgrade my bev package and paying for internet so came out ahead.

You really need to check prices with and without perks during these sales. I've been checking prices for several cruises on the large big box agency that gives a $50 loyalty bonus and have found that the prices have risen to the point that I would be paying for any perks, including those I get now for free because of status in Captain's Club. I just might wait until I'm on a ship closer to the cruise date and make a decision then. That being said: If you feel that the deal is fair and you want the cruise, book it and don't look back. If you are not sure, just wait. The difference between A1 and A2 is simply location. You receive exactly the same amenities. If the price is right and location is important go for the A1. If location is not that important save some money and take an A2,

Through this sale if we try and book a cabin on the Edge no matter the level it comes back with a page that says our room will be assigned.

Not sure if this is the new normal or we would have any say in the rooms.

You really need to check prices with and without perks during these sales. I've been checking prices for several cruises on the large big box agency that gives a $50 loyalty bonus and have found that the prices have risen to the point that I would be paying for any perks, including those I get now for free because of status in Captain's Club. I just might wait until I'm on a ship closer to the cruise date and make a decision then. That being said: If you feel that the deal is fair and you want the cruise, book it and don't look back. If you are not sure, just wait. The difference between A1 and A2 is simply location. You receive exactly the same amenities. If the price is right and location is important go for the A1. If location is not that important save some money and take an A2,

Read post # 10 and #11. We both checked Celebrity without the perks. ;) The TA deal is better!

An A1 location is better than A2 on the Constellation. On the Solstice ships, we prefer A2 locations if we cannot get a A1 hump. But it doesn't matter because we should get the Captains Club Elite perk of upgrading from A1 to A2 for no extra cost.:)

We will not be on a Celebrity ship until December. However, I will certainly compare pricing and perks while onboard. I can always cancel with TA with a small cancellation fee.

Read post # 10 and #11. We both checked Celebrity without the perks. ;) The TA deal is better!

An A1 location is better than A2 on the Constellation. On the Solstice ships, we prefer A2 locations if we cannot get a A1 hump. But it doesn't matter because we should get the Captains Club Elite perk of upgrading from A1 to A2 for no extra cost.:)

We will not be on a Celebrity ship until December. However, I will certainly compare pricing and perks while onboard. I can always cancel with TA with a small cancellation fee.

Whatever you decide enjoy your cruise!

wendycook22 - If it is through the same TA as I have, it's possible to rebook before final payment. If you have a better cabin than an AQ, that's a Suite. Suites are suppose to get all 4 Perks, anyway.

***I did a mock booking on Celebrity. Their rates are higher! For an A2, the rate is $3300pp. It comes with 1 Perk. If the Beverage package is chosen, that's only the Classic package (which has gone down in quality.) It would cost an additional $405 pp to Go BEST. So I think I have answered my own question. The TA is selling the staterooms for less, and we get more incentives over purchasing through Celebrity!

Now the question is to whether we book AQ, or go with a standard balcony for now. I did check the rates on Sky Suites. Not only are they about $2000 more pp, but there are very few left. Only 4 S2 that are all wheelchair accessible, and about 4 S1's. So the chances of us being able to move up to a SS are slim.

Hatteras51

- Would you share the category that you picked for your cruise?

I took the one category upgrade from A2 to A1. The pricing did come in a little cheaper than what I was finding on Celebrity's website, with just the one perk that they were offering . I'll watch the price to see if it will be worthwhile to upgrade, but I'm happy with the cabin that I have.

We booked the cruise today! Received everything that I posted about. No problem with getting the upgrade from A2 to A1. ;)

Now for the airfare.:eek: That's another story. We have never seen such high prices to fly to Europe! Not sure whether to book now or wait. But first we need to figure out what our itinerary is going to be for pre and post cruise.

Thanks all for the advice! ;)

Not Europe, but looked at 1 way to South American when flights became available & Choice Air was the same as the airlines for Premium Econ. Business was cheaper than the airline but we splurged on a RS so no business class. Actually, it (RS) was a steal IMHO but a splurge for us, and RSs sold out in 24 hrs! Yesterday I checked again & Choice Air had Premium Economy for $600pp less than booking with the airline- we booked our flight to Santiago.

I forgot to pre-register for early entry for the sale. I will have to wait until tomorrow. Did anyone price the 9/30/19 sailing on Reflection from Barcelona?

I booked 9/5/19 on Infinity out of Barcelona. They were offering all 4 perks on 2019 Europe sailings. I don't know if that only applies to balconies or higher, but I booked a balcony. I also got $100.00 credit and 1 category upgrade.