How Quick Royal Cancels for Non-payment....

Don't sweat the small stuff, and its all small stuff.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Your attitude shines through your posts.

Here's to a wonderful cruise and to a family with too much love to allow small stuff to get in the way of the important stuff.

You are a great example to others....meaning me.:o:o

I'm not sure this was clear. She made a mistake. As in did something wrong. She typed the wrong date in the email. It was sent in plenty of time and all the things you said.

Lets put it this way... if your agency sent out the due date, but typed the wrong date in the email and you missed your date, does that mean your agency is pretty new and is relatively new to booking cruises, or does it mean they made a mistake?

Mistakes happen. You know....$&IT happens.

Actually, she was so bad at booking travel and such that she was top performer in her office, eventually being promoted to supervisor (hence why she no longer gets commission on sales).

She was so bad at booking travel that she was promoted to supervisor... I'm in the wrong business!!! Lol [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

In the UK, if we book through one of the many TAs, we are required to pay the full amount a lot earlier than if we go direct. It probably means that if we miss the TAs deadline, there is plenty of time to chase us for final payment without RC cancelling our booking.

My sister has done quite a few direct bookings. Mainly because she wants to make the final payment as late as possible. This means that she takes it to the wire and on occasions got stuck. So far she hasn't lost a booking but she has needed to call them and ask for a few days extra to make payment.

Usually it's in TAs interest to chase you for final payment. I am not very good at remembering dates and deadlines so perhaps a good reason for me to rely on TAs to remind me. If for some reason I forgot, I would still accept an error on my part and face the consequences.

In the UK, if we book through one of the many TAs, we are required to pay the full amount a lot earlier than if we go direct. It probably means that if we miss the TAs deadline, there is plenty of time to chase us for final payment without RC cancelling our booking.

My sister has done quite a few direct bookings. Mainly because she wants to make the final payment as late as possible. This means that she takes it to the wire and on occasions got stuck. So far she hasn't lost a booking but she has needed to call them and ask for a few days extra to make payment.

Usually it's in TAs interest to chase you for final payment. I am not very good at remembering dates and deadlines so perhaps a good reason for me to rely on TAs to remind me. If for some reason I forgot, I would still accept an error on my part and face the consequences.

Why does your sister take it to the wire and get unnecessary stress?

I'm using a TA for the first time in maybe 5 years for my upcoming cruise. Her agency has been great with automated email reminders. However I ALWAYS insist on having her also send me the invoice from Royal. Changed cabins, requested invoice. Final payment made, requested invoice. If the TA does not want to do this extra work, then I find a new one. So far, this one is passing my test!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

My Big Box Store travel department schedules final payments for one week before they are due to RCCL. I make a note of the date in my phone's calendar, but always pay off our cruises early when it's convenient for us. I use the points from our credit card to either transfer to Southwest, or credit our statement for airfare. So, since cruise final payments are always tied to when I want to book airfare, I am paying the finals very early.

The actual final payment date is really only a benchmark to me for price drops or potential cancellation.

It sounds like you're better off going direct to the cruise line rather than using a travel agent

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I'm not sure if your post is in response to mine just before yours, but I go with Big Box to get the extra perks they have.

The OP's travel agent is their daughter, so I'm guessing they will stay with her.

It seems apparent that some of you think it was OK for the DD to make that HUGE mistake, just because it was ONLY her parents. Nothing was mentioned because we will never know if this has happened to any other of her clients. If this happened to me from any TA that I had used, I would have their job for lunch.

Don't sweat the small stuff, and its all small stuff.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Your attitude shines through your posts.

Here's to a wonderful cruise and to a family with too much love to allow small stuff to get in the way of the important stuff.

You are a great example to others....meaning me.:o:o

I don't know. Seems OP was trying to blame RCI for not cutting them a break, when it was DD (their TA) that made the mistake?

From original post:

I'm certain others have asked about what happens if they non-pay their booking. I'm posting this to tell you how it happened to us, and how adamant Royal is to not cut us a break, even with requests from our TA.

And then RCI followed up and DID cut them a break and helped them a lot, though it was not their fault.

I don't know. Seems OP was trying to blame RCI for not cutting them a break, when it was DD (their TA) that made the mistake?

From original post:

I'm certain others have asked about what happens if they non-pay their booking. I'm posting this to tell you how it happened to us, and how adamant Royal is to not cut us a break, even with requests from our TA.

And then RCI followed up and DID cut them a break and helped them a lot, though it was not their fault.

I wasn't trying to get a break from Royal. Our DD/TA asked for them to reinstate our booking, but they declined. We accepted that. We didn't go to resolutions, we aren't emailing anyone, we aren't posting on FB. As I said, my reason for posting was a result of others asking about what happens if you miss final payment. There were several other threads about this subject, and since we had it happen to us, I decided to post. (see post #29 above) Others suggested that maybe they would cut someone a break, give them a grace period, etc. I'm just trying to say they didn't in our case.

I am not trying to shame Royal or our travel agency into anything. We are paying a higher fare, and in some cases, higher cruise planner items. Those are facts, not complaints. They are being stated as education about what happens when you miss final payment.

We did not really ask for anything special other than reinstate. They declined. We then rebooked. Royal HAS NOT provided anything special, cut us any breaks or helped us a lot. You are right, it wasn't their fault, we haven't tried to suggest it was. In fact, I've tried to be very specific to assess blame where it lies. To say otherwise, it's not fair.

If I was blaming Royal for this, we would have taken our business elsewhere. We didn't.

I wasn't trying to get a break from Royal. Our DD/TA asked for them to reinstate our booking, but they declined. We accepted that. We didn't go to resolutions, we aren't emailing anyone, we aren't posting on FB. As I said, my reason for posting was a result of others asking about what happens if you miss final payment. There were several other threads about this subject, and since we had it happen to us, I decided to post. (see post #29 above) Others suggested that maybe they would cut someone a break, give them a grace period, etc. I'm just trying to say they didn't in our case.

I am not trying to shame Royal or our travel agency into anything. We are paying a higher fare, and in some cases, higher cruise planner items. Those are facts, not complaints. They are being stated as education about what happens when you miss final payment.

We did not really ask for anything special other than reinstate. They declined. We then rebooked. Royal HAS NOT provided anything special, cut us any breaks or helped us a lot. You are right, it wasn't their fault, we haven't tried to suggest it was. In fact, I've tried to be very specific to assess blame where it lies. To say otherwise, it's not fair.

If I was blaming Royal for this, we would have taken our business elsewhere. We didn't.

Sorry, I guess I missed that thread from others that were asking what would happen is they failed to make final payment deadline. :confused:

Glad it worked out for you.

It seems apparent that some of you think it was OK for the DD to make that HUGE mistake, just because it was ONLY her parents. Nothing was mentioned because we will never know if this has happened to any other of her clients. If this happened to me from any TA that I had used, I would have their job for lunch.

Not true.

I understand why THIS person did not take it further with the agency. It was THEIR DD.

But, if this happened to most other posters in this thread, the results would have been different for the agent and agency.

As a result of a final payment date miscommunication on the part of our TA, Royal cancelled our cruise. We only knew because we got the cruise planner cancellation email. We saw the cancel almost immediately when it was received at night. We actually hadn't been contacted by the TA yet about the cancel.

So.... facts of how the cancel for non-payment went down:

We were at day 90 on 8/27. We were cancelled on 8/27 apparently for non-payment. Our TA has requested Royal reinstate the booking in an available cabin, at the same price, and Royal will not do that.

Yes, this was a mistake on the part of the TA. Our TA is our DD, and we are making a decision to not make waves for her at work. Thus, no suggestions on how we should push back at the TA are needed. We also knew we were at day 90, but our communication said we had until 8/28 plus 7 day grace period (the communication mistake). Just simply a mistake. I guess a mistake that is easier to accept since its our DD that made the mistake.... maybe a little lesson in there somewhere about not getting too upset when a random employee somewhere makes a mistake....... maybe.

In the end, it will get fixed, we'll go on our cruise in our original cabin, or one just like it. We'll have a great time, and laugh about the problem that came up. It will be fine and we aren't getting upset about it. C'est La Vie!

And yes, all of our cruise planner items were cancelled.

what is a dd?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

For informational purposes only:

1) Grace period for cruise lines: There is none. Final Payment is FINAL PAYMENT.

2) Grace period for Travel Agents: Usually 33 days before cruise line's FINAL PAYMENT ( At least My cruise TA).

3) Travel Agent's Grace Period is 20 days before their (My Agent) deadline. (I don't know if this is a soft deadline or a hard one).

I posting this based on my current experience. I received and email today, September 2nd, 2018 advising me of the Agent's Final Payment deadline (September 22nd).

So I've resurrected the dead Horse but now I'm letting him die again and burying him. May he rest in peace.

Ramona

For informational purposes only:

1) Grace period for cruise lines: There is none. Final Payment is FINAL PAYMENT.

2) Grace period for Travel Agents: Usually 33 days before cruise line's FINAL PAYMENT ( At least My cruise TA).

3) Travel Agent's Grace Period is 20 days before their (My Agent) deadline. (I don't know if this is a soft deadline or a hard one).

I posting this based on my current experience. I received and email today, September 2nd, 2018 advising me of the Agent's Final Payment deadline (September 22nd).

So I've resurrected the dead Horse but now I'm letting him die again and burying him. May he rest in peace.

Ramona

Each individual travel agent is free to set their in house payment date whenever they want. Royal’s final payment date does not change. If you miss your TA’s payment date your cruise will not be cancelled. If you miss Royals date it will be.

Not to keep beating a dead horse......but here is another update.

Our TA didn't "make us whole" as we didn't request it. Not that it isn't a factor for our DD in the future (could get dinged in her annual review), but on paper, it isn't an issue for her ($$$ wise).

Also, at some point, our TA (agency)'s rep at Royal reduced our cabin fare by an amount roughly of the price increase when we re-booked. Our DD said that was a shock and surprise. She is not aware that it was requested from the agency, so it was a surprise. This wasn't done by resolutions or such, but through the agency's rep at Royal. And it wasn't the exact amount, but a credit applied to the cruise fare to get us back to pretty darn close.

Today, stuff went on sale. Another cruise planner sale. Our drinks and internet are actually cheaper now than they were before our situation. Our excursion is still about $30 more, but not a biggie.

We were able to get our late MDR seating back.

Not going to say this outcome is normal. Maybe we just got lucky and no one could ever experience this. All in all.... we are in the same cabin category, in the same location, for basically the same cost and have basically repurchased our cruise planner items for the same cost.

As was my intent originally, just providing info to the readers about our experience.

Now if they'd just drop the price on a JS to an obscenely low amount..........:halo: :confused: :cool: