Trip Insurance

bubblegummermom

Last year my mother in law almost died in what was supposed to be a routine surgery. Our cruise was planned a couple weeks after her first surgery, she's had 7 since then and she's not done. We had to cancel our cruise and would've lost over $3000 without travel insurance so I highly recommend getting it.

You dont have to get travel insurance through NCL either, lots of other companies offer travel insurance. I prefer to work with USAA so I usually go through them.

Definitely get travel insurance! Different policies will cover different things, so make sure you understand what is covered. Some things that you need to think about, as others have mentioned:

1. Trip delays that cause you to miss flights or require extra nights in a hotel.

2. Health emergencies/death int he family at home that prevent you from being able to take the trip.

3. Health emergencies while on the trip that might require time in a hospital overseas, flights home, repatriation expenses, hotel accommodations, etc.

4. Work situations that may require you to cancel your trip (these often aren't covered).

5. Lost baggage.

There are probably a lot more. Those are just the ones that come to mind immediately. As someone else mentioned, Hurricane Lane and the woman who went overboard on the Star (causing delay into port and delay in disembarkation) are great examples of how last-minute circumstances can force you to change travel plans.

Although NCL will refund your money if they cancel your cruise, there are so many other trip delay possibilities with airlines, cars, buses, etc. and the list of medical reasons is endless. Some policies even cover if your employers denies your vacation time.

That said, policies are are very different and you should go read that thread linked above and the fine print for coverage and exclusions. The policies are not all equal!

FYI, there is a cruise/travel insurance sub-forum on this site. Here is the link for you to check it out.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Definitely start browsing through the Travel Insurance section here on CruiseCritic.

Many different topics raised/questions asked, and lots of answers.

But also consider contacting

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They are a broker (we found out about them here on CC) who sell policies from several vetted insurers, with more than one policy type from most (or all?).

NO extra charge vs. if you purchased from the insurer directly.

The big advantage is that they will answer so many of your questions, and often ask some of their own, to help get the *right* policy for your specific needs.

CALL them; do NOT rely upon the online summaries, as the "fine print" can really matter, no surprise.

(You might want to browse briefly through some of the summaries to get a feel for types of coverage.)

Through them, we get policies from Travel Insured (once from a different insurer due to different situation, but also from TIS).

We've had several claims, including 2 large ones, and they paid with no nonsense... and that is what matters, after all.

GC

What are the covered reasons for a cancellation?
I'm sorry, but, an online forum is not the place to ask questions like that. You need to read the policies, it's not difficult. They all can be very different, there is no way to know if anything you read here is applicable to a policy you might buy.

If you travel a few times a year or more, I strongly recommend you look at buying an annual policy rather than just buying the cruise line policy.

Always purchase trip insurance, not so much for cancellation charges but for medical emergencies. If you have a medical emergency overseas that requires air evacuation to a hospital in the US, it can easily cost your $25000, and don’t think it can’t happen to you. Going on the cheap can cost you dearly if a medical emergency arises. Policies only cost a few hundred dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lots of variables on this one. I've taken cruises with and without travel insurance. I live in Miami so I don't need to fly to the port. If I book a balcony or inside cabin I usually don't take travel insurance. All Haven suites I take travel insurance. Its too much money to lose. I like NCL's insurance "cancel for any reason." You don't need medical documentation and can truly cancel for any reason. If your dog is sick and you don't want to leave, you can cancel and rebook another cruise and get back 80% of the cruise price.

Everyone's reasons are different for getting or not getting insurance. Anyone flying to a port should definitely get it. I am never going to fall or jump from a ship so the examples of that are far fetched IMHO. IMHO if the cruise price is over 3k, its probably worth getting some sort of insurance.

Lots of variables on this one. I've taken cruises with and without travel insurance. I live in Miami so I don't need to fly to the port. If I book a balcony or inside cabin I usually don't take travel insurance. All Haven suites I take travel insurance. Its too much money to lose. I like NCL's insurance "cancel for any reason." You don't need medical documentation and can truly cancel for any reason. If your dog is sick and you don't want to leave, you can cancel and rebook another cruise and get back 80% of the cruise price.

Everyone's reasons are different for getting or not getting insurance. Anyone flying to a port should definitely get it. I am never going to fall or jump from a ship so the examples of that are far fetched IMHO. IMHO if the cruise price is over 3k, its probably worth getting some sort of insurance.

Agree with insurance if you're flying to the port. Other than that, my biggest concern would be medical emergencies where you have to get off the ship for treatment in a foreign country.

And yes, if you book a pricey cabin, insurance is desirable, too.

As you say, pretty many variables and circumstances to give a pat answer. But you've covered the main ones.

Insurance offers you peace of mind in the event something dreadful happens during your cruise. A severe illness or accident requiring hospitalization and you will probably discover that your health insurance from work doesn’t cover you overseas. A medical evacuation can really ruin your vacation and finances if you don’t have travel insurance. For less than $200/person, the financial risks disappear.

Being the gambler that I am, I never bother with travel insurance. I'm prepared to regret that decision should the time come. Last November canceling our trip was touch and go due to a terminal illness in the family. We planned for the worst and hoped for the best. I know others have vastly different views...that's just us. Not sure of all the coverage ins and outs but had we needed to cancel due to a death in the family, it wouldn't have been covered under the plan suggested to us upon booking.

Cm

Is this cancel for any reason part of the standard plan thru NCL or the only the platinum.

Is this cancel for any reason part of the standard plan thru NCL or the only the platinum.

Cancel for any reason is standard on both NCL policies. One gives you 75% and the other 90% of the cruise price on a future cruise. Its not a refund of money but allows you to rebook any cruise you want with NCL.

Some don't like that but if I spent that much on a cruise and had to cancel, I probably would want to rebook the cruise at a later date. Reviews are mixed. The NCL plan offers bare bones medical coverage but that is not why I take the travel insurance in the first place. I am not taking a flight and not overly concerned about lost bags because my clothes are not that expensive LOL.

I notice people scare others with dire medical emergencies. This can happen at any time at any place. My health is good and I have good medical insurance. My job requires yearly intensive physicals. I don't plan on jumping off any ships and don't think I am going to fall off one either.

No matter who you talk to, they will promote one company or the other and devalue the other one. For my needs (different than others), the NCL plan is perfect for me. One thing that I wonder about is if you are the one that is sick and has the medical excuse and get reimbursed. What about the others in your party. Are they also able to cancel because only you are sick. I don't like the fine print on many of these. There are also countless blogs how travel insurance is the biggest rip off ever.

My next NCL cruise is Haven 2 bedroom on Encore. VERY expensive. I would be crazy not to get insurance in case one of us cant make it and we need to cancel....even if its for something trivial.

This is one area there is not going to be any consensus because everyone's needs are different.

Cancel for any reason is standard on both NCL policies. One gives you 75% and the other 90% of the cruise price on a future cruise. Its not a refund of money but allows you to rebook any cruise you want with NCL.

Some don't like that but if I spent that much on a cruise and had to cancel, I probably would want to rebook the cruise at a later date. Reviews are mixed. The NCL plan offers bare bones medical coverage but that is not why I take the travel insurance in the first place. I am not taking a flight and not overly concerned about lost bags because my clothes are not that expensive LOL.

I notice people scare others with dire medical emergencies. This can happen at any time at any place. My health is good and I have good medical insurance. My job requires yearly intensive physicals. I don't plan on jumping off any ships and don't think I am going to fall off one either.

No matter who you talk to, they will promote one company or the other and devalue the other one. For my needs (different than others), the NCL plan is perfect for me. One thing that I wonder about is if you are the one that is sick and has the medical excuse and get reimbursed. What about the others in your party. Are they also able to cancel because only you are sick. I don't like the fine print on many of these. There are also countless blogs how travel insurance is the biggest rip off ever.

My next NCL cruise is Haven 2 bedroom on Encore. VERY expensive. I would be crazy not to get insurance in case one of us cant make it and we need to cancel....even if its for something trivial.

This is one area there is not going to be any consensus because everyone's needs are different.

I am flying in to New Orleans a couple days bef cruise early jan🙏🏻😆. We purchased our airline tickets and bought the trip insurance for that which was $40 ($20pp) cover all flight except the $40 for ins. I guess my question really is that this is mostly to cover medical in case like people speak of god forbid. It’s already so confusing to read all the jargon and I guess for $99pp it’s peace of mind. So NCL plan should fine in those case since we are a guarantee interior. 😎. THanks for the input I do appreciate it

My best friend went on a cruise for her honeymoon. It was their first cruise. She got sea sick really bad and he had an allergic reaction to his wedding clothes. Though they made it through the entire cruise, travel insurance reimbursed her for the medical expenses. In general, between weather, travel delays, medical expenses, and the unknown of visiting other countries, travel insurance is definitely worth it.

:ship:

:fever:

https://www.insuremytrip.com/ is my go to for trip insurance. Once you put in your details you will be offered many different plans and prices that you can compare and find the one that suits you. Although I have never had to collect on travel insurance, it is peace of mind knowing that emergency medical expenses would be covered. My Blue Cross won't cover out of network expenses on the ship or hospitals in Mexico should there be a mishap on an excursion.

Always purchase trip insurance, not so much for cancellation charges but for medical emergencies. If you have a medical emergency overseas that requires air evacuation to a hospital in the US, it can easily cost your $25000, and don’t think it can’t happen to you. Going on the cheap can cost you dearly if a medical emergency arises. Policies only cost a few hundred dollars.

yup.

i bought what is basically a medical evac policy.

8 day cruise to mexican riviera only cost me $15 for $300k medical evac (and $25k secondary medical insurance) at one of the companies listed in www.insuremytrip.com.

(yes, $300k! and that was the minimum i saw.)

trip insurance is very cheap if you dont want trip cancelation coverage.

Edited by fstuff1

It's really up to you. You have to weigh the cost vs benefit for yourself. So far we have passed on trip insurance because: Hubs and I are fairly young and healthy. We have emergency travel air evac medical coverage covered from work. I always book air travel at least 24 hours prior to departure, so I leave myself a window. And I book with a credit card that has some type of travel reimbursement. Is that the right way of doing things? Maybe. Maybe not. I consider travel insurance with each trip and weigh the plusses and minuses. If our circumstances change, we may very well buy an insurance plan. But for our currently booked trips I consider us "self insured".

It's really up to you. You have to weigh the cost vs benefit for yourself. So far we have passed on trip insurance because: Hubs and I are fairly young and healthy. We have emergency travel air evac medical coverage covered from work.

I always book air travel at least 24 hours prior to departure, so I leave myself a window. :o

And I book with a credit card that has some type of travel reimbursement. Is that the right way of doing things? Maybe. Maybe not. I consider travel insurance with each trip and weigh the plusses and minuses. If our circumstances change, we may very well buy an insurance plan. But for our currently booked trips I consider us "self insured".

wouldnt your flights be EXPENSIVE booking the day before your trip?

wouldnt your flights be EXPENSIVE booking the day before your trip?

FOR 24+ hours before. Meaning we arrive at the departure port 24+ hours before sail away. I would have thought that was understood. Are you deliberately being obstinate? Or was I unclear?

FOR 24+ hours before. Meaning we arrive at the departure port 24+ hours before sail away. I would have thought that was understood. Are you deliberately being obstinate? Or was I unclear?

unclear.

i think this would be a Better way to say it:

I always arrive at least 24 hours prior to cruise departure.

Agree that it’s a decision to be made based on ur personal situation. I’ve never purchased comprehensive trip insurance as being suggested. I believe my likelihood of needing to cancel is small and your losses are limited to items you have already paid for. I have purchased medical/Evan only trip insurance because it is dramatically cheaper and that is where you can face limitless expenses. For example. I planned a very expensive ‘trip of a lifetime’ to Africa a couple years ago. Comprehensive trip insurance was $400-$600. Got a medical/evac policy with a million dollar limit and $0 deductible for $30.

I've cruise before but never purchased the travel insurance so...Travel insurance or not? What are the covered reasons for a cancellation? We are travelling early Jan. Thanks for the input :)

We traveled for years without travel insurance never thought twice about it. Two years ago we went on a 50th anniversary cruise for my in laws and they bought insurance for everyone. The cruise goal was everyone goes or cancel and plan another time. Mid cruise a health crises occurred. Norwegian was amazing and the insurance paid very well. Significant medical care on ship, emergency surgery in Cozumel, three people stayed there for a week, flight changes etc. approximately 20,000 dollars of expense all paid for. We will never cruise again without insurance.