2 Curious FOOD Questions - Embarkation Day Fave & Buffet Menu vs. MDR

Hello everyone,

I'm 72 hours away from embarkation on the Escape, and curious to know where you prefer to dine on embarkation day and why? I'm thinking I'll enjoy the buffet first thing before the crowds, and if I need a bite before the dinner seating O'Sheehan's will be my spot.

I've also been hearing people saying that the MDR and the buffet serve identical items; just one happens to plate the food. I am sure there are some crossover items; but if memory serves from my cruise on the Breakaway in 2015 I believe the menus were on the whole unique between the buffet and MDR. Can anyone provide some insight - this might be a great question for the "How to Run A Floating Hotel" meet-up!

On our Escape cruise in May both O'Sheehan's and the Garden Buffet were crazy packed by the time we made it to lunch around 1pm. But that may be because we dilly dally'd in the District too long. If you are heading to lunch as soon as you get on board you will likely have less crowds. Otherwise you can try the open MDR (Taste or Savor) if you want something quieter and less crowded.

The buffet and MDR menus are definitely different, with, as you say, some crossover items. The buffet also has a theme every night for dinner as well.

Skip the buffet and O'Sheehans. Both will be crazy. Head to either of the MDRs. I'm betting you'll find a nice, calm lunch that offers better food and an easier time in general.

This!

The staff will try to steer you to the buffet and O'Sheehans but we head to one of the MDR's I believe only one is open, not sure

agree with above posters

buffet is where ships staff try to steer you towards with results its a zoo and you wont be ahead of crowds but actually part of them on embarkation

O sheehans can also be crowded but check it out

we do tend to check out which MDR is open for a very quiet lunch as most cruisers don't realise its an option

actually that's usually the only time we tend to eat there as have experienced long waits for food to be served n evenings

seems staff can only cope with fast service when only a handful of cruisers in there

I would rather go to the MDR, it is a good start to a vacation. You do not need to grab or walk around for food. And they would have enough tables and seats for people in the MDR. It wont be too crowded in the room. Eating comfortable and can always ask for more if not enough food and drink. NCL staffs will tell every cruisers to go to the buffet. You do not need to as their are other options.

I'm 72 hours away from embarkation on the Escape, and curious to know where you prefer to dine on embarkation day and why? I'm thinking I'll enjoy the buffet first thing before the crowds, and if I need a bite before the dinner seating O'Sheehan's will be my spot.

I've also been hearing people saying that the MDR and the buffet serve identical items; just one happens to plate the food. I am sure there are some crossover items; but if memory serves from my cruise on the Breakaway in 2015 I believe the menus were on the whole unique between the buffet and MDR. Can anyone provide some insight - this might be a great question for the "How to Run A Floating Hotel" meet-up!

The Buffet and O'Sheehan's open at 11:30. Both will be crowded. The buffet is a buffet,,,, hundreds of worldwide items. The Main Dining Room Taste and Savor open at Noon. This is a sit down restaurant with a menu. Examples From the Escape's sister, the Getaway:

Main Dining Room

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56770897&postcount=34

Buffet (starting on Post #41)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2666700&page=3

We go to the MDR for embarkation day lunch.