Rick Steves - How not to be that kind of traveler

evandbob

I spent 3 weeks in Spain, rarely speaking to anyone and not wanting it to have been any different. I expect few would understand that after learning about it 43 years ago, the Roman Aqueduct in Segovia brought me to tears. That trip was full of location bucket lists and didn't require any other person to make it fullfilling.

A bit off topic, but just wanted to comment on the Roman aqueduct in Segovia. For me, also, it was a bucket list visit, planned last year after many years of wishing and a good many months of research. (Including figuring out how to follow the trail of the aqueduct and look for the markers....)

Wouldn't you know that after about 10 days in Portugal visiting Roman sites and then Merida, I came down with terrible influenza and just could not make it to Segovia from Madrid. Still bitterly disappointed, but I'm sure I'll get back there.

Drawing a parallel between these ceremonies and kids in faux costumes is frankly insulting.

(I am an ex-soldier and an ex-teacher BTW).

“...frankly insulting...” ?

You are a bit thin-skinned.

While I am all for tradition - you must recognize a certain parallel between modern Polynesians dressing in grass skirts and 21st Century soldiers dressing in early 19th Century uniforms.

(BTW, are you a member of the League of Empire Loyalists?)

While I am all for tradition - you must recognize a certain parallel between modern Polynesians dressing in grass skirts and 21st Century soldiers dressing in early 19th Century uniforms.

There is a difference...in that the Brits at Trooping the Color (or Colour) are real soldiers. Being a Vet...I have trouble putting soldiers in the same bucket as Polynesian dancers. Personally I enjoy both...but the soldiers are truly special. DW and I once viewed Trooping the Color from the upper steps of a large building across the street from Horse Guards. The star of the show was the Queen "Mum" who thrilled everyone with her big smile and strange hat :).

Hank

You clearly do not realise how difficult it is to get tickets to watch Trooping of the Colour (for British veterans not tourists). It is a very popular ceremony.

Would you regard the US Marine guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier as a 'ritualistic military ceremony' to amuse tourists? Thought not.

Changing of the Guard and Trooping of the Colour are ceremonies to honour our Sovereign - a concept that you seem to struggle with (understandably given your current 'leadership regime';)).

Drawing a parallel between these ceremonies and kids in faux costumes is frankly insulting.

(I am an ex-soldier and an ex-teacher BTW).

Don't be too insulted. The only thing that is being paraded here is American ignorance of the world beyond the 48 states.

It's moronic observations about other countries, lack of respect for other cultures and the belief that everything that is done is for the benefit of tourists, particularly Americans, that gave rise to the application of the term "Ugly American" because it so aptly describes many of them when they travel. Just the type Steves was talking about.

Edited by K32682

There is a difference...in that the Brits at Trooping the Color (or Colour) are real soldiers. Being a Vet...I have trouble putting soldiers in the same bucket as Polynesian dancers. Personally I enjoy both...but the soldiers are truly special. DW and I once viewed Trooping the Color from the upper steps of a large building across the street from Horse Guards. The star of the show was the Queen "Mum" who thrilled everyone with her big smile and strange hat :).

Hank

Of course, the Polynesian dancers wearing grass skirts are greeting travelers nowadays in much the same way as the Polynesian dancers of long ago greeted Captain Cook’s and Captain Bligh’s folks. And the Household Brigade troops are performing the palace guard maneuvers in much the same way as their predecessors did in Queen Victoria’s time (and earlier).

Sure, I greatly prefer seeing the Changing of the Guard and The Trooping of the Color , and have zero real interest in watching Polynesian dancers— but, at bottom, there is a real parallel —- and, regardless of the popularity of Meghan, Kate, Her Majesty, et al, you must recognize that — without the tourist draw —there is minimal likelihood that the Exchequer would continue budgeting for the troops, horses and uniforms.

In fairness to Americans the "Ugly Cruiser" should not be associated any specific nationality.

Everyone who cruises even occasionally should have the experience of being in a place when the ships arrive. Observing the behavior of most cruisers, regardless of their nationality, may permanently change your views on cruising.

Cruisers are the least adventuresome of travelers because they evidently need the security and comfort of North American lodging, food and several thousand people just like them when they leave their country. Therefore very few of cruisers will ever blend into the environment.

Well ... We are adventurous. We very often rent cars in ports and do our own stuff. Rarely we go on ship sponsored tours.

We almost exclusively cruise lately only because we find cruises to be better values in terms of logistics (I know about limitations of course).

Don't be too insulted. The only thing that is being paraded here is American ignorance of the world beyond the 48 states.

It's moronic observations about other countries, lack of respect for other cultures and the belief that everything that is done is for the benefit of tourists, particularly Americans, that gave rise to the application of the term "Ugly American" because it so aptly describes many of them when they travel. Just the type Steves was talking about.

We leave for our twentieth visit to England next week - staying with my sister and her husband (former 9th-12th Lancer). I have great interest in the UK, and English traditions in particular - which interest (and profound respect) does not blind me to realities.

Being unable (or unwilling) to recognize that a significant part of UK government’s willingness to spend on such traditions (which I understand and appreciate. as well as many, if not most) is tourist-revenue related is a real demonstration of ignorance of the world outside ones home turf.

Again fine. But I'd argue that you're describing something different: "vacation" (or possibly "tourism") not "travel".

And I reiterate -- don't come back from your 8-hour cruise stop in Jamaica and complain about being hassled by vendors or say you were afraid to get off the ship when you have no real idea of the current situation in that country. Or worse -- some posts I've read here on CC "complaining" about cruise ship tours taking them to sub-par beach facilities on islands that were devastated by a hurricane not a year past.

I’ve traveled extensively throughout my life. As the wife of an international businessman, I often spent my days alone navigating transportation and language barriers armed with a phrase book, map and card with my hotel address. I traveled around Asia and Europe. I went on the subway in Shanghai in 1996. I was the only caucasian. Sometimes, I took tours too. By the way, my tours we’re not just comprised of Americans. There were Australians, Canadians, British and people of other Nationalities who chose to take an English speaking tour. I meet lots of nice people along the way. I think am your definition of a traveler, but that IS NOT the only way to travel and there is no wrong way to travel. How people choose to spend their time and money is not our business. I think you are too judgmental.

I will complain when things are sub-par. I hated the air-conditioning in Basel. I was hot as heck and felt nauseous from the heat. I complained even though I knew Basel has regulations governing the temperature. They gave us a fan and ice water. They felt bad for me and tried to help. Should I have suffered in silence? Would that have made me a better “traveler”?

It a shame when people travel abroad and only stick to their own kind, but they are entitled to do so. It’s their vacation.

Would you regard the US Marine guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier as a 'ritualistic military ceremony' to amuse tourists? Thought not.

quote]

Just a footnote - and not a criticism, as it is understandable for a non US citizen to be unfamiliar - the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier are not Marines, they are members of the Third U S Infantry Regiment - the oldest continually active U S Army unit.

CrossBluePurchance, thanks for sharing the train stories. Love to read about them, but will pass on the experience. I hsve a Princess and the Pea gene that requires adequate comfort for a decent sleep.

For the same reason, I am most likely between an allcentric and a midcentric. Lack of indoor plumbing I can work with, but a bed is necessary. I think my comfort zone ends when I can no longer recognize the alphabet... but I haven't made it to Asia yet to test the theory.

CrossBluePurchance, thanks for sharing the train stories. Love to read about them, but will pass on the experience..

Did I mention being detained for a day, initially at machine gun point, in Basra, Iraq, not too long before the train ride? ;)

At one point, as the old train was climbing to higher altitudes along the windy track, it was possible to jump off, walk ahead a little, wait for the train to catch up and jump back on...I was younger then.

Don't ask about the 'washroom facilities' though.

By the way, my tours we’re not just comprised of Americans. There were Australians, Canadians, British and people of other Nationalities who chose to take an English speaking tour.

:D:D That's kinda like someone from Berlin saying "There weren't just Germans, there were Austrians too".

Finding Hummus in Bulgaria was initially a problem...until we learned to look for Xymyc on the top of the tub. [emoji3]

It was probably

Хумус [emoji6]

I’m not a Bulgarian, but my native language uses Cyrillic.

«m» in Cyrillic is an equivalent of “t” in Latin alphabet based languages

It was probably

Хумус [emoji6]

I’m not a Bulgarian, but my native language uses Cyrillic.

«m» in Cyrillic is an equivalent of “t” in Latin alphabet based languages

Curses, thwarted by a lower case 'm'. :D (I'm sure you're correct.)

Oh, in Veliko Tarnovo we got chatting to a guy in a take out shawarma outlet...his English was impeccable.....learned from TV, he claimed. (He also said he learned Korean the same way....wow!)

I would say the key difference is the intended audience. The Polynesian dances you see in hotels and probably on most cruise ships are choreographed specifically for tourist amusement. The routines have no meaning nor tell stories like they traditionally would. It was something I witnessed but was also explained to me when travelling through French Polynesia, that the dance routines they do for tourists they never do during ceremonies, family events or local festivities.

I would think the Heiva Festival of French Polynesia is a better comparison to the military ceremonies of Britain. While there is side benefit of tourism that isn't the aim or intended audience of either event. It is meant to reinforce the local identity, local ideaology and I suspect in Britain's case to keep the connection between the royals and the people. If tourists enjoy it that is great but if they didn't it would not stop either event from occurring whereas with the tourist Polynesian dance routines if tourists displayed a dislike to them they would cease to exist.

Did I mention being detained for a day, initially at machine gun point, in Basra, Iraq, not too long before the train ride? ;)

At one point, as the old train was climbing to higher altitudes along the windy track, it was possible to jump off, walk ahead a little, wait for the train to catch up and jump back on...I was younger then.

Don't ask about the 'washroom facilities' though.

:')Now that must be a hell of a story;p You really do like getting out of your comfort zone. ;)

Finding Hummus in Bulgaria was initially a problem...until we learned to look for Xymyc on the top of the tub. :D

Before I got to Serbia I was quite excited by the challenge of visiting a country whose alphabet I couldn't read and when I got there I discovered they had swapped out most of their signs for the Latin alphabet:') and where there was Cyrillic it had a Latin translation;p. All that aside it was still a wonderful (if not nearly as challenging) road trip nonetheless;).

:')Now that must be a hell of a story;p You really do like getting out of your comfort zone. ;)

Here's an Oz one, later that same year, up around Rum Jungle, that I posted on another site:

Hitched a ride south from Darwin, late 1963, in a cattle transport with nothing but a dead steer in one of the trailers.

Going down the only paved road, and off to the left we see a cloud of dust from a car barreling towards the highway.

We're the only (other) vehicle on the road and the car swerves onto the pavement and merges right in front of us.

Truck driver says "It's old (whatever his name was) and he's asleep"......so he edges the transport forward and bumps the car...not lightly.

Car driver's arms fly up in the air.......he's awake NOW!

There are fun & laughs everywhere. :D

Before I got to Serbia I was quite excited by the challenge of visiting a country whose alphabet I couldn't read and when I got there I discovered they had swapped out most of their signs for the Latin alphabet:') and where there was Cyrillic it had a Latin translation;p. All that aside it was still a wonderful (if not nearly as challenging) road trip nonetheless;).

If I live long enough, (I'll be 76 in three weeks), we're intending/hoping to go to Ukraine, (mainly by train), next Spring......at least we (now) know how to look for hummus. :D

[emoji3][emoji3] That's kinda like someone from Berlin saying "There weren't just Germans, there were Austrians too".

Are you saying that all English speaking countries have the same culture? Have you been to Australia? For that matter,have you been to the both the Northern and Southern United States? Even within countries, cultural norms can be very different. What an interesting thread this is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I live long enough, (I'll be 76 in three weeks), we're intending/hoping to go to Ukraine, (mainly by train), next Spring......at least we (now) know how to look for hummus. :D

I hope it is there now, as I don’t remember it as a popular food before.

Happy upcoming birthday!

Are you saying that all English speaking countries have the same culture? Have you been to Australia? For that matter,have you been to the both the Northern and Southern United States? Even within countries, cultural norms can be very different. What an interesting thread this is.

Yes, Yes, and Yes. (As to the US, I've been to about 40 states on last count....only 17 less than Obama. :D )