Rick Steves - How not to be that kind of traveler

evandbob

You don't even have to be fluent in any language......we got up early one morning in Sofia, Bulgaria, and walked, in the pre-dawn pitch darkness, towards the general direction of the train station, without actually knowing where it was.

Encountered a lady walking her dog...she had no English, we had no Bulgarian....after being unable to ask directions or convey our intent, my wife mimed pulling a steam whistle and said "Toot Toot"

Instant communication....with hand signals she provided perfect instructions and we were on our way. There's always common ground!

Great story, thanks for sharing. Reminds me of a day we spent in Poland, got a Taxi at the port, who did not speak much English, we did not speak any Polish ... regardless we had a great day together... he took us to Gadnsk old town, picked us up in a couple of hours and took us to see some other sites, stopped at a Catholic church because he was so proud Pope John Paul had been there and from Poland... we took him out to lunch with us... I don't even recall exactly how we communicated but we all managed and had a pleasant day.

How is any of this different from the red coats and bearskins worn in military parades in London?

I have not attended a London military parade but I was always under the impression they were actual military ceremonies that happen to attract tourists not ceremonies made just for tourist viewing:o

I have not attended a London military parade but I was always under the impression they were actual military ceremonies that happen to attract tourists not ceremonies made just for tourist viewing:o

They are but they have the added bonus of attracting tourists, hence having an economic benefit.

The Foot Guard regiments are (should be) OK with this, as it has protected them from amalgamations or disbandments in the several Regimental re-organisations (AKA cuts), which have happened in the last few years.

Then stop taking tours and excursions; learn enough of the language to get by, and then drive or take public transit around on your own.

Mmhmm. K. You try taking public transport or driving yourself through the Serengeti and let me know how that goes. We rarely take tours, but that is one place I would never recommend DIY. You’ll get your vehicle stuck if you aren’t experienced at off roading and you’ll never see anything smaller than an elephant or giraffe because that simply takes an experienced eye.

And I agree, it would be lovely to have a conversational grasp of the language when we travel, but there are more places I would like to go than languages I would like to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This language discussion might turn-off some future independent travelers. DW and I are only fluent in English and have some vocabulary in both French and Spanish (but we are not fluent). Yet, we are very independent travelers who have happily visited over 100 countries....many of which communicate in languages that we have no knowledge. So what? We do fine, even drive cars in many of those countries, and do not believe in so-called language barriers. Intelligent people can always find a way to communicate and that is actually part of the fun. And by the way, it is that kind of challenge (communications) that lends itself to dealing with locals (an issue also raised here) and making friends. Years ago we would invest in small language/phrase books for many of our trips. Now, we tend to rely more on our cell phones and especially like Google Translate (a free app).

We have met cruisers who refuse to get off the ship in places where they do not know the language...unless they are part of a tour group. Many times we have been told we are "brave because we do not worry about the language issue." It has nothing to do with being "brave" but its just a matter of having a spirit of adventure. We even live, for 10 weeks a year, in a Spanish speaking country...while we are far from fluent in that language. And we truly love that place (Puerto Vallarta). Our maid (in PV) does not speak any English...and we have lots of fun communicating with her despite the language problems. I guess it works since we always get lots of hugs and smiles as soon as we arrive :).

My only philosophy with language is one should know how to ask a few questions. 1. Where is the WC (or toilet). and more importantly 2. Beer please ....3. Red wine pleas.....4. White wine please. Fortunately, in Mexico the word Tequila is understood by all :)

Hank

Mmhmm. K. You try taking public transport or driving yourself through the Serengeti and let me know how that goes. We rarely take tours, but that is one place I would never recommend DIY. You’ll get your vehicle stuck if you aren’t experienced at off roading and you’ll never see anything smaller than an elephant or giraffe because that simply takes an experienced eye.

And I agree, it would be lovely to have a conversational grasp of the language when we travel, but there are more places I would like to go than languages I would like to learn.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take tours.........but if you do, then know what they are and don't wish they were something else. If someone wants a "real life" experience of a place, they won't get it taking a tour.

You are correct. There is a significant difference between a military ceremony performed by serving enlisted men and officers that occurs whether tourists are there or not and a group of Tahitian school students being paid to dress up in grass skirts to amuse slack-jawed cruisers.

Good Grief! Everyone is so opinionated on this topic and being intolerant about everyone else's tolerance. Just like there are different cruise lines for different cruisers, there are differences in what people like to do when traveling. Suggesting that a traveler do something that they are not comfortable with or disparaging a local tour operator will not make them see the world like you do. Hopefully there is room for us all.

Good Grief! Everyone is so opinionated on this topic and being intolerant about everyone else's tolerance. Just like there are different cruise lines for different cruisers, there are differences in what people like to do when traveling. Suggesting that a traveler do something that they are not comfortable with or disparaging a local tour operator will not make them see the world like you do. Hopefully there is room for us all.

By the same token, shouldn't we all challenge ourselves once in a while, in order to grow?

If athletes never pushed themselves beyond what they currently feel comfortable with, they never become better athletes. If students never push themselves to learn something, they forever remain at the same level. If adults never challenge themselves by considering other ways of looking at the world, they miss opportunities to become wise.

I suppose it's fair enough if some want to travel without partaking of any of the opportunities to meet or understand local people and culture. But then I have no patience for those same travelers coming back from their trips and telling me all the things that are done wrong in XX country.....

But then I have no patience for those same travelers coming back from their trips and telling me all the things that are done wrong in XX country.....

...and spending all their time in restaurants, or in buses & cabs, surrounded by other tourists, and having virtually no contact at all with the countries they are purportedly visiting.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take tours.........but if you do, then know what they are and don't wish they were something else. If someone wants a "real life" experience of a place, they won't get it taking a tour.

I never meant to say or imply that I wanted to live as a person in Africa. We did run into people on our tour that do live there and were going about their daily lives and it was really interesting to see. People walking miles to and from the market once a week carrying large baskets on their head; small children herding sheeps and goats on the side of the road; farmers walking their cows up and down the hills of the ngorongoro crater. Being on a tour in no way detracted from that experience. But teens dressed in tribal costumes sitting on the side of the road were not an attraction for us.

Different locations call for different types of travel based on logistics and safety. In Europe, absolutely agree with going DIY. In some countries it’s not a feasible way to travel. Although, what we do try to do when traveling in an area that needs a guide, and I highly recommend btw; is source out a local company that provides private guides for that service. Rather than taking a pre-packages tour from an American or European company.

Edited by sanger727

By the same token, shouldn't we all challenge ourselves once in a while, in order to grow?

If athletes never pushed themselves beyond what they currently feel comfortable with, they never become better athletes. If students never push themselves to learn something, they forever remain at the same level. If adults never challenge themselves by considering other ways of looking at the world, they miss opportunities to become wise.

I suppose it's fair enough if some want to travel without partaking of any of the opportunities to meet or understand local people and culture. But then I have no patience for those same travelers coming back from their trips and telling me all the things that are done wrong in XX country.....

For many people, vacation is a time to relax and get away from the stress of work or life in general . Maybe enjoying a luxurious cruise ship with some light touring is what they want. Some people face challenges in their daily lives and want to escape them on vacation. What’s right for one is not necessarily right for the next person. In my opinion, the only given is that the traveler should understand that they are a guest in the particular country and be respectful of their culture.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For many people, vacation is a time to relax and get away from the stress of work or life in general . Maybe enjoying a luxurious cruise ship with some light touring is what they want. Some people face challenges in their daily lives and want to escape them on vacation. What’s right for one is not necessarily right for the next person. In my opinion, the only given is that the traveler should understand that they are a guest in the particular country and be respectful of their culture.

You make perfect sense . Vacations are to relax and have fun . We lived in Munich for a year and I didn't speak German when I arrived. Some natives were less than accommodating and just plain rude . My first language is French so not lazy in learning a new language.

Rick Steves is all about traveling on the cheap . It's your vacation and it should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by NHProud

For many people, vacation is a time to relax and get away from the stress of work or life in general . Maybe enjoying a luxurious cruise ship with some light touring is what they want. Some people face challenges in their daily lives and want to escape them on vacation.

Again fine. But I'd argue that you're describing something different: "vacation" (or possibly "tourism") not "travel".

And I reiterate -- don't come back from your 8-hour cruise stop in Jamaica and complain about being hassled by vendors or say you were afraid to get off the ship when you have no real idea of the current situation in that country. Or worse -- some posts I've read here on CC "complaining" about cruise ship tours taking them to sub-par beach facilities on islands that were devastated by a hurricane not a year past.

. But I'd argue that you're describing something different: "vacation" (or possibly "tourism") not "travel".

+1 A few years back we were talking to a local boutique owner who stated that she had "Traveled all over the world"......pretty much turned out to be a few Caribbean all-inclusives.

I don't agree that Rick Steves is all about traveling on the 'cheap'. He has frugal ways, true, but a 'cheap' traveler wouldn't hire a local guide - which is something RS considers good value. He also caters to Americans who may not leave their country otherwise. Given that about 60% of Americans don't have a passport, then one can assume, they don't go outside their current borders. As anything, many people need guidance for something new and RS offers to help people along. His is a simplified version that people can branch out from - if they choose. I would never take his tours (I can do it less expensively and more in my style as a DIY solo traveler), but I often read his guidebooks and watch his videos as research. His train and transport information has been invaluable over the years. One wants to remember that years ago we had travel agents do a lot of our purchases, advising, and even research. Now with 40 years of travel under our belts, some may forget we didn't really start our own personal travels totally on our own (of course, many did, as well). Rick also states that he only goes where he knows. Sure he is sort of self important, but he is also open minded. Read his 'travel as a political act'....particularly if you think he doesn't ever go anywhere without a local guide. If anything, showcasing his local guides give us insight to the 'value added' of local knowledge and expertise. Let's face it, the guy runs a huge multi-million dollar business. He has learned the need to delegate. I also fully agree that he isn't for everybody, but I feel some of the criticisms are from those who haven't tried to look further into what he is about.

Fear of safety - I see a lot of people hesitant to move outside their comfort zone because of fear. Not just their personal safety, but also due to being self-conscious. What if they order something they won't like? McDonald's is safer. What if I say the wrong word? I'll just stick to English so I don't look foolish. What if I get lost? I'll just take a tour, or follow other tourists around. Some are just plain ignorant and will always carry a sense of entitlement, whereas others want to take the travel plunge, but they can only dip their toe in until they can see what is in the deeper water.

Sanger727, you might be happy to know Serengeti does have slightly better signage, there are GPS coordinates for DIYers :-) but I agree that Serengeti is one place where as a first time visitor the 'value-added' by having someone being your guide outweighs the independence. However, many people don't use a 15 person OAT tour, or a 45 person bus. Many have realized they can organize a private bespoke tour for themselves with a guide and a local agent who may recommend a basic trip, and you pad out with your own interests.

Thank goodness, there is a whole lotta Spain where the Brits don't retire to. If one only traveled the Costa del Sol, however, they might not believe me.

The other thing we may not comprehend is the luxury we North Americans have of 'personal space'. Also the ability to be independent and self reliant. This leads to not requiring to be in large family or community groups. Many places in this world have very little personal space - I am going to narrow those down to the travelers that butt in and travel as tight knit groups. Watching footage of their country, this also happens. They don't think of it as rude or insensitive, it is how they live at home. Or big groups of families or friends. They might be the same people we dream about meeting - that spend 5 hours over a Sunday lunch table laden with pasta and wine....but when they take up all the space in a small room, or talk and take things slowly, they are moving at their own cultural pace. I find these annoying, but I also try to understand why they act like this and realize I have the choice to let them ruin my day, dictate my pace, or to look at it as more cultural exposure to learn from; or move away or alter paths and let it slide off. Both still try my patience, but it's my trip and I'll find a way to not let them reduce the enjoyment.

There are always going to be yahoos, but I think in general, more travelers are sympathetic travelers. It's just the yahoos who give tourists a bad name.

Fear of safety - I see a lot of people hesitant to move outside their comfort zone because of fear. Not just their personal safety, but also due to being self-conscious.

If possible we try and move inter-city on ancient slow local trains......Romania, Bulgaria, Poland, wherever........it's great to sit in a full eight seat old fashioned compartment with locals continually boarding and disembarking.

You don't need to know the language(s).....a smile, a nod, and the tacit understanding that you'll squeeze over a little bit in your seat if necessary. One soon becomes accepted as part of the group in that compartment. It's GREAT!

I am going to narrow those down to the travelers that butt in and travel as tight knit groups. Watching footage of their country, this also happens. They don't think of it as rude or insensitive, it is how they live at home..

One of the many reasons we love Pullmantur......there are times when it seems as if the entire village, (the local priest included), is doing a communal transatlantic.............they all want to sit at the same table, and it's interesting to observe/note the village hierarchy which doesn't dissolve because they're on holiday.

On one trip a group of about twenty began singing.....we joined in for the (simple) chorus, and received smiles of acknowledgement.

This is why we travel...to build 'connections', however short lived they may be.

Otherwise...why bother.

You are correct. There is a significant difference between a military ceremony performed by serving enlisted men and officers that occurs whether tourists are there or not and a group of Tahitian school students being paid to dress up in grass skirts to amuse slack-jawed cruisers.

Those “serving enlisted men and officers” are performing their ritualistic military ceremonies in their large numbers wearing their out-of-date uniforms for essentially the same reason as the Tahitian school students perform in their grass skirts: to amuse tourists - many of whom are, in fact, similarly slack-jawed.

I hope you do not really think that the changing of the guard or the trooping of the color, as presently conducted, would take place if there were no one waiting to see it.

Otherwise...why bother.

Well, I will admit to being an introvert and being so caught up in the 'place' rather than the 'people', at times I might have found the big boisterous group intrusive in my space. However, I have been eying Pullmantur so I appreciate the feedback.

I spent 3 weeks in Spain, rarely speaking to anyone and not wanting it to have been any different. I expect few would understand that after learning about it 43 years ago, the Roman Aqueduct in Segovia brought me to tears. That trip was full of location bucket lists and didn't require any other person to make it fullfilling.

On the other hand, when volunteering in Africa 6 years ago, my 45 minute dala dala ride (mini bus) sitting cheek to cheek to cheek with babies or chickens on my lap, was some of my most private and peaceful times.....where the experiences of the day were pieced together in my mind to become journal entries later on. It was my little window on their world that I will treasure for life. Few tourists know how carrots are washed in the river before shipping, and that low water meant work that day, and high water meant none. A real hand to mouth existence.

Correct me if my memory is slipping, but I once read that there are three types of traveler, and most of us fall into one of those columns, but with a little of the other type or types mixed in.

Allocentric.... will Travel where the language is unknown, along with the food and the plumbing. Probably rides a local bus with chickens or babies in his/her lap.

Midcentric....loves to travel to new places, but expects that someone there speaks English. Will try some new foods but wants to know what they are, just in case it’s something awful. OK with a room as long as it has a clean bed and it’s own clean bathroom.

Is happy to meet local people and chat with them...in English.

Psychocentric.....loves Disney World and will even spend the night, but really wants to sleep in his own bed. Knows Epcot has some foreign food, but yay, there are hot dogs, hamburgers and spaghetti.

May at some point get talked into “going overseas” but on a cruise ship that’s “American”, or even a land tour with other Americans with a company that’s American. Worries about the violence in other countries and is so relieved to get home safely.

We. However, I have been eying Pullmantur so I appreciate the feedback..

Unfortunately for many Pullmantur aficionados it appears they will no longer be operating their transatlantics to Europe from the Caribbean and back....a big disappointment for us.

Although having visited a half-dozen or so sub-Saharan African countries, I've unfortunately never commuted by local bus......although I have seen passengers hanging out the doors. ;)

I did, however, ride this train in 1963 not long before my 21st birthday, (see comments below the blog article):

http://www.kathmanduandbeyond.com/train-zahedan-iran-quetta-pakistan/

took about 28 hours to cover 200 miles along the Afghan/Pakistan border IIRC.

Those “serving enlisted men and officers” are performing their ritualistic military ceremonies in their large numbers wearing their out-of-date uniforms for essentially the same reason as the Tahitian school students perform in their grass skirts: to amuse tourists - many of whom are, in fact, similarly slack-jawed.

I hope you do not really think that the changing of the guard or the trooping of the color, as presently conducted, would take place if there were no one waiting to see it.

You clearly do not realise how difficult it is to get tickets to watch Trooping of the Colour (for British veterans not tourists). It is a very popular ceremony.

Would you regard the US Marine guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier as a 'ritualistic military ceremony' to amuse tourists? Thought not.

Changing of the Guard and Trooping of the Colour are ceremonies to honour our Sovereign - a concept that you seem to struggle with (understandably given your current 'leadership regime';)).

Drawing a parallel between these ceremonies and kids in faux costumes is frankly insulting.

(I am an ex-soldier and an ex-teacher BTW).