Frugal Husband’s Anthem of the Seas Review

As you know by now we don’t want to make friends. We aren’t rude or mean to people. We will chit chat for a few minutes but for the most part we like to enjoy our trips just the two of us. We like recounting our day. Talking about our favorite parts. Talking about the night and tomorrow. This is why we always ask for a two top.

I feel your pain, I'm a bit more social with strangers than my gf but what you said describes us quite well. We got stuck with another couple at a table for 4 on Carnival last year, it was totally awkward, there were these eerie moments of silence and other times when we felt like we forced to try and find things to talk about.. uuugggghhh. I actually went in to the MDR every night and felt like leaving right away.

We will be sailing with both our kids in 2 weeks and they usually give us our own table, thank god

Thanks for writing such an awesome review, that beef tenderloin looks like it was cooked to perfection!

Ok some final thoughts.

Quantum class. We liked it but not as much as Oasis class. We thought the Esplanade was too small and we missed the energy and atmosphere of the Prominade. We also missed the Aqua Theater and Central Park.

We did love that this ship seemed more open to the ocean. On Allure we thought it was hard to see the ocean. How much of this was due to different design vs us having a balcony room? That’s the real question and one I can’t answer.

We didn’t care for the Sea Plex I felt out of place and old when I was there (I’m only 33). North Star was ok. It’s fun but not something to book a cruise over. ifly was AWESOME. That is something I would book this class of ship for.

The crew was simply amazing. Every worker was SO nice and smiling and they initiated conversation. That had not been the case on previous sailings. Don’t get me wrong workers would always take care of any request but not always with a smile and would talk but only if we started the convo.

Windjammer was not as chaotic as on Allure. Maybe we ate at off times. I LOVE the sinks for hand washing. Great move.

Food. I know this is subjective but we had way more hits then misses. Highlights were Wonderland, the strawberry bisque, the beef tenderloin, it was the best cooked lobster we have had on a ship, the seafood linguine and the lasagna. And those stupid Windjammer burger and fries!

Cabins. The best I have been in. There was so much storage we could of fit another adult’s things in the cabin no problem.

Solarium. Our favorite Solarium of any ship class. Loved the cascading pools, and the low loungers where I took my nap.

270. Kind of a let down. After reading all the glowing reviews of it I was excited but I didn’t love it. Seemed like a waste of a huge space to me...give me the Aqua Theater.

Shows. Again subjective but Sheesh. Usually a strong point for Royal but this was a miss. Spectra’s Cabarte was dreadful, The Gift had no semblance of a plot line (for my Disney friends I wanted to yell “Pick a plot line!” Like Fear from Inside Out) and the comedian was awful. We Will Rock You was good.

Bermuda. O.M.G. I have a favorite new island. The people are so nice and friendly, I NEVER felt not safe, and Horseshoe Beach is my new favorite beach. I wish we had another day there so we could of seen the caves and aquarium. Loved the island.

5 Day Cruise. Too short. Plain and simple. It was either this or none so we went with this but man did we miss those extra 2 days. I can’t even image a 3 day cruise!

Disembarkment. If they would Station crew members at the elevators to help with the confusion that would help but man everything was so smooth after that. I know they don’t handle immigration but it was the most organized and best flowing immigration I have experienced. We could of stayed on the ship for 40 minutes longer and still made it to the train station with plenty of time to spare.

You guys. Thank you so much for all the lovely comments and responses. It really kept me motivated to keep going and made me happy that you were enjoying my travels and my lame attempt at being a writer.

Thank you to everyone who followed along and who commented and brought their own good information to the thread.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask!

Until next time!

Thank YOU for such a great and entertaining review! I enjoyed reading all of it. You are a wonderful writer, and judging by the way you’ve explained everything, you must be a fantastic teacher too and the students must enjoy your class!

Bermuda is my favorite island too. I could go there over and over again, I just love it. Definitely try to make it there again and go see the crystal caves. We did that with our sons in 2015 on our last cruise and we enjoyed it very much. We got the one day transportation pass and did everything on our own. It was amazing! Never been to the aquarium there, but I’ve heard that is amazing too.

The good points of the ship you mentioned are the same ones my parents and my sister mentioned to me when they went in February (my parents) and April (my sister). Really looking forward to Anthem in April, and almost at the 7-month mark!

You have also inspired me to take my husband to Wonderland for dinner. We weren’t planning on any specialty restaurants, but I’m going to surprise him this Hanukkah for his gift, something yet again to look forward to. He’s a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland, and also of a nice tasting menu. We once splurged on dinner at Victoria & Albert’s at Disney World and the boys spent the time at one of the kids’ activity centers. It was the best meal we’ve ever had! This seems kind of like the cruise version of that, but more laid back. Can’t wait!

Thank you for such a well written,entertaining and informative review. The humor was an added bonus. I really enjoyed your review of NYC. I lived there for most of my life, and it was interesting to see it through the eyes of a tourist. I especially appreciated your thoughts about the 9/11 museum.

Like yourselves my wife,and I like to enjoy our dinner by ourselves. It's not that we're anti social,but it's our time to enjoy ourselves, without the usual day to day interruptions. We enjoy our space ! Many years ago we stayed in Bermuda for out honeymoon right next to horseshoe bay. The hotel was later destroyed by a hurricane. However, your review brought back many good memories. We're still together after 45 years too ! Must've been the kiss under the arch ! You've got that covered,so you're in for the long haul !

I hope that you have a good school year, and many,many more cruises in your future. You also may want to consider doing some travel writing !

Thank YOU for such a great and entertaining review! I enjoyed reading all of it. You are a wonderful writer, and judging by the way you’ve explained everything, you must be a fantastic teacher too and the students must enjoy your class!

Bermuda is my favorite island too. I could go there over and over again, I just love it. Definitely try to make it there again and go see the crystal caves. We did that with our sons in 2015 on our last cruise and we enjoyed it very much. We got the one day transportation pass and did everything on our own. It was amazing! Never been to the aquarium there, but I’ve heard that is amazing too.

The good points of the ship you mentioned are the same ones my parents and my sister mentioned to me when they went in February (my parents) and April (my sister). Really looking forward to Anthem in April, and almost at the 7-month mark!

You have also inspired me to take my husband to Wonderland for dinner. We weren’t planning on any specialty restaurants, but I’m going to surprise him this Hanukkah for his gift, something yet again to look forward to. He’s a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland, and also of a nice tasting menu. We once splurged on dinner at Victoria & Albert’s at Disney World and the boys spent the time at one of the kids’ activity centers. It was the best meal we’ve ever had! This seems kind of like the cruise version of that, but more laid back. Can’t wait!

What a nice surprise! You are going to love it!!

I, too, enjoyed this review. We have traveled by Amtrak to Denver, CO & back (Wilmington, DE) via Chicago & New Orleans, plus have traveled to Fl & Chicago. Our last train trip DH swore he would never go again. It was a total nightmare; late arriving in Orlando in the middle of the night & returning in the middle of the night plus being injured on the train. However, that was back in I think 2000. We are hoping it has improved as we are going to Miami in November by train.

We were on the Anthem last year for a 9 night to NE & Canada. It was an experience since it was the first time we went north instead of to the Caribbean. It is driveable from our home though. I enjoyed it & DH loved watching people on the wave rider.

It was very interesting getting someone else take on what we have experienced. I can't wait to cruise again no matter how I get there.

What a nice surprise! You are going to love it!!

I’m still debating whether to just buy the $49 per person dinner at Wonderland, or get the BOGO for $40 per person and be able to go to 2 specialty restaurants the first two nights of the cruise, while paying $18 less total than one night at Wonderland. They choose the restaurants and times, but it can be changed immediately upon boarding so I can switch it to Wonderland if we aren’t given that one. Ideally it would be great to do Wonderland and Chops (we both love a good steak).

It’s a tough decision, because technically I guess nothing is guaranteed with the BOGO. Not sure yet what to do but I have some time to think it through.

I’m still debating whether to just buy the $49 per person dinner at Wonderland, or get the BOGO for $40 per person and be able to go to 2 specialty restaurants the first two nights of the cruise, while paying $18 less total than one night at Wonderland. They choose the restaurants and times, but it can be changed immediately upon boarding so I can switch it to Wonderland if we aren’t given that one. Ideally it would be great to do Wonderland and Chops (we both love a good steak).

It’s a tough decision, because technically I guess nothing is guaranteed with the BOGO. Not sure yet what to do but I have some time to think it through.

I would do the BOGO - I think that they would work with you to try to get you into wonderland one of the days or maybe even a third day if they couldn’t do the first 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would do the BOGO - I think that they would work with you to try to get you into wonderland one of the days or maybe even a third day if they couldn’t do the first 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I’m thinking! It seems many people have gotten Wonderland without a problem with the BOGO. I haven’t read about anyone not getting it when they wanted it. Chops would be an added bonus! We have no interest in the Italian or Asian restaurants. We eat those cuisines all the time at home!

Fantastic trip report. One of the very best on Cruise Critic this year. Going to be re-reading for every detail as I think we are booking Anthem to Bermuda next June.

My question: on those dinner menus, what is the price of the 3 upgrade options at the bottom each night, if I want a whole Maine Lobster or Surf & Turf? I see the extra 18% gratuity but the rest is cut off.

Currently on page 7 but loving your review so far! My husband and I were on Anthem this past April so I love reliving our trip by reading other reviews about it!

My husband and I are also Disney fans (honeymooned at WDW as well as other trips there), and as a fellow introvert I can totally relate to your struggles with dealing with extroverts! Sometimes I just don't want to talk- please read my body language! Ok, back to reading. :)

I just gotta point out that I have had the cuban at Havana Central, twice. I work a coupl of blocks away. I think that is actually pretty bad. If you go across the street, there is a little cuban coffee shop called 'MARGON' that is universally acknowled as the best Cuban in NYC.

I saw a couple of food items I wouldnt agree with, but it is a very entertaining review. Glad you had a good time.

If you come back to NY, I would recommend checking out the website 'Free Tours by Foot' - it is definetly fits your frugality. We usually tip the tour guide $10/person at the end. I would recommend food tours of the lower east side, chinatown and the village. With the free tours, you pay for the food at the stops. There are many other great tours.

Joe

We've used "Free Tours By Foot" a couple of times....Great tours :)

OK - I am going to apologize profusely in advance, but I absolutely MUST say this for my own sanity - since it addresses one of my biggest pet peeves. While I am thoroughly enjoying your review - I love seeing the ship and pictures of Bermuda since we're going on Anthem to Bermuda next April. PLUS I love, love, LOVE all the UofM attire (born and raised in MI), and I really like your writing style .... with the exception of one (little) thing - "could of". The grammatically correct phrase is "could have". The conjunction "could've" sounds like one is saying "could of" lending to the use of the phrase in writing. But "could've" is a verb phrase, and "of" is not a verb, but a preposition. Again, I apologize if I come across as being picky, or a grammar snob, but like I said - it's probably my biggest pet peeve. Carry on - and feel free to ignore me, if you wish. :)