Frugal Husband’s Anthem of the Seas Review

Back in the van and we are off to our last stop-Ice Cream! This too is included in the price of the tour. We stop at Bailey's Ice Cream. They have got the traditional flavors but also some unique ones. I end up with Bermuda Banana and my wife got some coffee concoction. Yuck. I hate coffee. But I try hers anyways, it's pretty good because I can't taste any coffee really.

enhance

enhance

enhance

It has been a full day. Back into the van to return to Anthem. Juma says he isn't going to do narration on the way back because usually everyone is asleep anyways. We get 10 minutes down the road and I turn around and yup, every single person is asleep except me and my wife. So we talk with Juma and Meko on the drive back. I asked if soccer or cricket is the most popular sport and it's soccer. I also ask if they get a lot of hurricanes here. They say of course they do! Well, I didn't know...I thought maybe they were too far north and too far east for a lot of the hurricanes to track near them.

My wife asks how cold it gets and Meko says it can get as low as 65 in the winter "65 is so cold you feel it in your bones! I wear a jacket and scarf!" Meko gave a hilarious running commentary about the scooters as he drove. "Everyday these tourists try to kill themselves in front of me! I don't want to see that!" They both made it very clear that unless you know where you are going/how to drive one that you shouldn't rent a scooter on Bermuda. We pull back into port a little after 3:00.

So would I recommend this tour? I would. We got to see a lot of the island and parts that I feel are off the beaten path. Also, this is the only tour I found that is in any way active. And you do need to be in relative shape. The walk is not easy and getting down to that dry cave was a challenge even for me. The lunch was cool and neat to try some Bermudian (?) food. I would do it again simply for the cave swimming. It is pricey but I feel like we got a lot out of it. And our guides were awesome.

Back on board I run up to the Solarium bar for an adult beverage-a banana daiquiri. Yup, I like my drinks with a little umbrella in them. I'm not a big drinker and my eyes bug out a little bit when I see how much rum my bartender pours into my drink. I'm afraid all I'm going to taste is the rum. One sip put all those fears aside. I have no idea how but I didn't taste much rum even though I watched her pour almost two jiggers in my drink. If I hadn't seen her do it I would of thought it was a virgin drink-that's how you know you found a good bartender.

Anyways my wife no longer lefts me hold drinks or food that we are sharing. Apparently I have this condition where if I am holding a drink or food...I drink or eat it until it is gone. not intentionally mind you, I don't even realize I'm doing it until it is gone and my wife only got one sip or one chicken nugget. So now she holds the shareable food and rations me my share.

Back to the balcony for sail away. This is my favorite part of having a balcony. Just being able to sit out there and watch for any pier runners (there were none-shoot!) and watching us slip away from the island. It is now that it hits me we only have 1 more day on board. These 5 day cruises go quick! I look forward picturing the little itty bitty Statue of Liberty way off in the distance that we are starting to sail towards.

This excursion is usually listed on Royal’s site for around $239 a person. I grabbed it when Royal was having one of their sakes for $209 a person. For those wondering this excursion could only be reserved through Royal. A woman on our tour said she called and tried to reserve it and was asked if she was on a cruise and they told her she had to buy it through the cruise line.

They must have changed that rule since we did the Hidden Gems tour in the summer of 2016. We booked it privately saving $50/pp and did it the first day so as not to have to worry about making it back to the ship on time. It was really a fantastic tour and we felt like we got to see lots of Bermuda in one shot (we also had a stop at a light house on our tour).

They must have changed that rule since we did the Hidden Gems tour in the summer of 2016. We booked it privately saving $50/pp and did it the first day so as not to have to worry about making it back to the ship on time. It was really a fantastic tour and we felt like we got to see lots of Bermuda in one shot (we also had a stop at a light house on our tour).

Interesting. We did it on the second day where we would be leaving Bermuda. Maybe they allow you to buy directly through them if you book on day one?

I have a bunch of pictures to post of our next couple hours. After we pushed away from Bermuda we went up top to watch more of sail away. We were on the port side so the land slipped away from our balcony rather quickly.

I love sail always. I can’t really put my finger on why. It’s realizing for me and kind of a reflective time for me. It’s usually quiet and I can find a place just to myself and slowly watch the island slip away behind the horizon.

I think we also stop at the Dog House. Just as good as in Allure but they only had one poor worker manning the place and she was taking a verbal assault from a family because the particular hot dog they wanted was cooking and would be a few minutes. Relax people.

Anyways, enjoy some pictures of Anthem.

2b13f6dc14e3b6347918e2b66ad0e7a8.jpg

0ae2f5dd71895cebd5ee1a2e432ab5a2.jpg

0d80c94a06adfa93006bf7044dbd890c.jpg

1bf39e20d08308ecf38fda0cc9bbd974.jpg

4c3217704db18e729ac161d484dee090.jpg

4d80d0a570a58c8bd3a516c46207e40e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nice update and terrific photos!

Regarding the family that wasn’t nice to the worker at the Dog House...I have seen this kind of behavior on just about every cruise I’ve taken, even when I was a teenager. It always upsets me to see hard working crew members treated poorly. They can’t control everything. People do need to learn to have some patience in this world where so many just expect instant gratification. The worst I’ve seen though, didn’t have to do with that. On one cruise a few years back, we had a wonderful waiter. He is from the Philippines and has an accent. The people at the table next to us were making fun of his accent and we felt so bad for him because it was obvious at one point that he heard them. The children in our family noticed and felt bad for him as well. They weren’t very nice to him all week. The kind of table that runs their waiter ragged just because they can. Some just have such a false sense of entitlement. These people work very hard to please the passengers on the ship and they should be treated like human beings. It makes me sad when people take advantage or are mean.

Alright time to get ready for dinner. Well...I know what I’m getting!

1efc348440a6b6368e17bffa450c237c.jpg

Down we go to the Esplanade and just kinda meander through some shops. We stop in the Royal store to decide what we are gonna my to buy tomorrow. Basically we are just killing time till dinner.

We walk into the MDR and I stop dead in my track and curse out loud. My wife says, “what? Noooo!!!! What are they doing here?! They were supposed to be at Chops!” If it weren’t for lobster night I probably would of turned around and walked out. “I don’t know, but I’ll talk to you in an hour and a half.”

Yes. The couple was back. And this time they didn’t even let us sit down before they started talking. At this point I was done. It had been a very long day and I think the late of sleep over the course of the entire week was catching up with me. I was cranky. So I decide I’m just not going to engage. I sit down and I stare out the window at the ocean. Watching the gentle waves I go some place else in my mind. Maybe I’m back at Horseshoe Bay bobbing up and down in the waves and feeling the warm sun kiss my body. In any event I don’t respond to them in any way, shape or form. I am a mime.

It makes no difference. Remember when I said they were the type of people who could talk to a wall? Well they did on this night because my wife and I were doing our best statue impressions.

I see that I don’t have any pictures of our appetizers. Sorry about that. I know we both got the Strawberry bisque. It was just as good as the other day at lunch.

Obviously we both got the lobster. That makes me happy.

e0d85f25dd0438fd126ed25a6dffbe71.jpg

We both remark at how well the lobster is cooked. Usually they tend to be a little rubbery when they are cooked in mass like this but we were very impressed. We have this mini convo WHILE THE OTHER COUPLE IS TALKING TO US. I literally had to just talk to my wife over them.

They were telling us all about their tour...the same tour that we were on. We even told them that’s what we did hoping that would end it. But no. They proceed to tell us about the cave, cave swimming, cliff jumping. Umm hello? Are you dense? I just told you I was on the same tour.

Also learn they have several kids at home. I wonder to myself why they don’t just talk to one another. If you have all those little ones would t you be savoring time alone...just the two of you...and want to spend time alone? I know I would.

Dessert time. I went with the creme brûlée. The middle was good but the top layer of sugar was cold. Ah well no big deal.

d0778af6b7b7d3405caee3ece7376e34.jpg

My wife went with the molten chocolate cake She liked it but commented there was nothing molten about it.

d68fdf68f9fe916fe85727e1605126af.jpg

We finish and we take off. First thing my wife tells me is that when it comes for us to have kids and we are on vacation that is just us time. I am so thankful I married this woman.

We are off to the theater for my favorite show Royal puts on: the Love and Marriage game.

Activities Manager Tornado Tonya comes out to get the couples and she’s hilarious. I wish she would of hosted the show. Instead Denis comes out.

This show wasn’t the best. Everything was off. Denis was a mess. Forgetting the contestants’ name. Asking one contestant one question then asking the next a completely different one with Tony’s having to remind him we hadn’t moved on to the next question yet. And his comedic bits dragged on for waaaaaay too long.

He asked the last question of where is the strangest place you have made whoopie...and then proceeded to say “for the kids that means making...pan...cakes” while miming flipping pancakes in a pan. Dude. Making whoopie is already a metaphor for having sex you don’t need to have a metaphor for the metaphor!

But I can’t place it all on Denis. This couples weren’t as forth coming with the embarrassing answers as couples in the past. Plus there were not a whole lot of wrong answers given which is great for the couples but makes it less entertaining for me. I don’t want you both to know that your husband would like to be trapped in a deserted island with your friend Katie. I want you to think he wants to be with your other friend Jennifer.

Here’s another weird thing. Love and Marriage was scheduled for 10 and The Quest scheduled for 11 on the same night! Why?! Put them on two different nights. I know it’s only 5 days and you have to cram some stuff but traditionally these are the two more popular shows. Put them on different nights.

So we get to The Quest about 11:15. We take a seat and watch the hilarity that ensues. Including one team taking the game waaaaaaay too seriously. But we had fun.

Afterwards it is time for bed. We only have one more day left on Anthem :-(

Cruise Compass for Day 4

991f63fcf93c9da51fc293b9fd7b6395.jpg

5add3283a6944ea828b071f5b3216026.jpg

Forgot to mention that Anderson brought my wife and I an extra lobster tail to share. He offered both of us an extra one but we were just too full so we thanked him and took him up on the one extra.

Around this time the maitre d came around. He asked how Anderson and Edwin were doing. They were great and we told them so. He also said “and it looks like you are all having good conversation!” I stared up at him, hoping, pleading, trying to convey my pain and anguish to him through my eyes trying to send a HELP ME message. I even tried to blink out SOS but it was no use. He walked away leaving us to our fate.

Your review/writing style is definitely one of my favorites! Thank you for all of the time to do this!

I have to ask - in all of their talking did they ever mention why they weren’t at chops? ...I so would have loved to seen you and your wife in statue mode! Crazy when people have no boundaries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your review/writing style is definitely one of my favorites! Thank you for all of the time to do this!

I have to ask - in all of their talking did they ever mention why they weren’t at chops? ...I so would have loved to seen you and your wife in statue mode! Crazy when people have no boundaries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my gosh how did I forget to tell that part of the story! Yes, so they said that last night when it was just the two of them (and were forced to talk to one another) they told Anderson that they would not be at dinner the next night because they were going to Chops. Anderson told them they were missing lobster night. And they were bummed about that. So Anderson suggested to them that they come after Chops and only have the lobster tail! They said that was a great idea and that way they could still talk with us.

Anderson you are dead to me. That 10 you wanted on your survey is gone. You will be getting a zero my friend. Sorry about how that pretty much screws up your life but you screwed up my dining experience for 4 days and that clearly is more important. How could you do this to us?!

“Here’s another weird thing. Love and Marriage was scheduled for 10 and The Quest scheduled for 11 on the same night! Why?! Put them on two different nights. I know it’s only 5 days and you have to cram some stuff but traditionally these are the two more popular shows. Put them on different nights.”

Yes! I just got off Anthem and had the same exact thoughts. They also put Battle of the Sexes at 9:30 on the same night! I was so confused by all of this.

“Here’s another weird thing. Love and Marriage was scheduled for 10 and The Quest scheduled for 11 on the same night! Why?! Put them on two different nights. I know it’s only 5 days and you have to cram some stuff but traditionally these are the two more popular shows. Put them on different nights.” ...

They used to do this on the short Monarch cruises too. I think they just run out of nights on shorter cruises.

Having actually lived and listen to the music in the 70s, you can't define the entire decade. Lots of good classic rock through the decade, but people only remember the birth of disco at the end.

I remember it for Van Halen I & II Highway to Hell and Hell Bent for Leather . Disco? What’s that ?

and it looks like you are all having good conversation!” I stared up at him, hoping, pleading, trying to convey my pain and anguish to him through my eyes trying to send a HELP ME message. I even tried to blink out SOS but it was no use. He walked away leaving us to our fate.

Thankfully your table mates have yet to tell you the last place they made whoopee.

Actually that might make it more interesting for you... would it heat up the molten cake or put it on ice. :confused::eek:;p

Great review. We were on Anthem in late July & agree that they need to spread out the shows. Having Quest early in the cruise just doesn't seem right.

Barely related, but I saw an Enchantment compass that said Love and Marriage was 3pm on a Sea Day! On my 3 times on Majesty for a 4 day they had L&M Quest, and Battle of the Sexes on their own night.