Frugal Husband’s Anthem of the Seas Review

Great review- i am headed to Bermuda on Grandeur in October and had a question about the mini-bus shuttles. Do they just go to Horseshoe and back? We were planning on taking the public bus to Hamilton-stopping at Horseshoe on the way. But reading about the "big hill" has me thinking we will take the mini-bus to Horseshoe and then maybe find another way to get to Hamilton from there

Take the mini bus to Horseshoe Bay, Arrange a pick up time with the driver and on the way back have him drop you off in Hamilton. Take the ferry from Hamilton back to the ship. We did this on a one day stop to Bermuda. Shouldn't be a problem on an over night stay.

Thanks for the great review so far. I've done this itinerary twice and have done just about everything I could have without paying for an excursion. Hoping you made it to the awesome mini golf course on your second day there? We shall see. I can eat at Wonderland every night as it is an experience that I can't get nearby on land.

Take the mini bus to Horseshoe Bay, Arrange a pick up time with the driver and on the way back have him drop you off in Hamilton. Take the ferry from Hamilton back to the ship. We did this on a one day stop to Bermuda. Shouldn't be a problem on an over night stay.

We are docked in Kings Wharf- i probably should have mentioned that.

Thank you to everyone for the kind comments. They keep me going! I had this fear I would start this looooong review and I would just be talking to myself!

Your comments are wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you ever feel like your talking to yourself, just say something wrong like, The next Oasis class will be home ported in Reykjavik.

Wonderland is an amazing experience. It’s not exotic foods. Your not going to eat anything crazy, it is just dishes that are prepared in a unique way. It’s like if Bill Nye and Alton Brown came up with a restaurant.

So full warning Wonderland is an experience. So if you would not like that experience ruined then skip the next couple of posts. Spoilers coming.

We have a nice table for two with another couple seated next to us. They respect the gap haha. So you are handed this picture frame and a paint brush and water and you paint your menu.

17110e6b17d74c132fe2d43a9a27df38.jpg

a04c04969800ba5bec95b09bfb30023c.jpg

a1925b296b32f5fcb1a3933e530e15de.jpg

It’s a neat trick.

Don’t bother trying to decide what to order. You’re getting all of it. It’s a tasting menu. The only thing you don’t get every item of are the entrees. You pick 2 or 3.

Our server was awesome. You need a good server here because everything needs to be explained. He was great and answered all the questions we had. I tipped him extra, you know he was good when frugal husband is throwing down and extra tip!

This was lobster bisque and my god I wanted a whole bowl.

9362352bbcd95f25bb78cb00ad2224e1.jpg

This was smoke infused buffalo eggs. It came to the table under a glass dome filled with smoke. Our server lifted the dome and swirled the smoke. It was fun.

8a4f244cf2e3fd980ec88503c52752cf.jpg

Fried shrimp in fillo dough.

88a934ce12bf51ead3878a85175feb6a.jpg

9349606ee3c86d7281087c2da5e07e53.jpg

This was perhaps my favorite dish. This or the lobster bite. The top was a lime sorbet-I wanted a full cup of it. And the bottom was raw tuna is a sauce. I could of had 5 or 6 of these puppies.

This was a salad. There was a story about how the veggies are growing out of the dirt (crumbled pumpernickel bread) and the dressing represented snow... it it was still just a salad.

8c2225e8c5a61116b8c058014d09f7ca.jpg

Main entree time. This was the terrier beef. Whoa buddy. Didn’t even need a knife. And the sauce. So good.

649cd8e2a10bcdc5740087becfa47ec6.jpg

The chicken breast. It was good but with all the other exciting things we had this was kind of “boring”

07f29fff895fcf7874fd4cce906a9356.jpg

This is the fish. I wish I could remember what kind. The fish itself was good but the Star was the sauce. I asked what was in it but there were so many ingredients that I stopped listening after a few items and slowly internalized and accepted that I will never be able to make it myself. I wanted to drink this stuff straight. I wanted to bottle it and carry it in a hip holster and put it in anything I put in my mouth.

d78ef6e400b1b88396f338ab7c656121.jpg

Dessert time. We are stuffed, good move on our part to have a light lunch. But we are going to push through.

So this mess was a chocolate dome. Then our survey poured hot caramel sauce over it until the dome collapsed. I believe there was brownie in there. Very tasty but I’m not a huge chocolate guy.

32bab504ecf5d77f567e61d6ce99feab.jpg

This. Whoa.

d7a37004f990e2861a2d01dc516a6d41.jpg

So looks like a candy apple right? And you would think that the shiny red is hard right? Ha!

d90aff0618f646c4629ae89b26025dc8.jpg

It’s raspberry mouse and in the middle was lemon curd. This thing was the bomb.

The silverware is fun...as you can tell from the perplexed look on my face

7281afbad838ea24dcc06229108bbe7f.jpg

67b4f77c1e006bf1c4888d49428abe5b.jpg

90967265ddec75ac3c3c8048df87586f.jpg

As I said before Wonderland is an experience. Go do it, you won’t be disappointed. It’s an experience I’ve never had before and don’t know where to go to experience again.

My wife and I were talking after that Disney could make a killing with this type of dining experience and were surprised Disney hasn’t taken this concept and run with it.

After Wonderland we needed to walk it off. We went down to deck 5 and walked around a bit.

e6c0475cb1b32c8dd325df0bb0c906ca.jpg

There were fish going crazy just off the boat’s side. We watched the lighthouse for a little bit and then ran into this sign...

4645eba2daad806cb7e3f78e300e850f.jpg

I can’t even begin to discuss the absolute absurdity this sign is. If you just read the sign you would think I was in some crew area. Opened a door I wasn’t supposed to. No. This is posted on the door at the end of the walk way on deck 5.

About this time the silent dance party was about to start so we headed to 270. The concept is interesting. Everyone is given a set of head phones with the ability to listen to 2 stations. One is playing oldies the other playing current top 40. The head phones light up green or blue depending on which station you are listening to and everyone can see which station you are listening too.

3edc0a43f250fcd2bc9cc212b35d69eb.jpg

First of all the “oldies” station should of been named the “70s station” which is the worst decade of music ever recorded. I kept switching back hoping something else would come on. No dice. Second, when I hear “current top 40” I think of music being played on the radio now...not from the mid to late 2000s.

Anyways the best part was to take off your head phones every so often and just listen to people singing at the top of their lungs to no music in the room.

01632cd4d59d74816fc42a5c901196c2.jpg

f74431351ccf37d863929a6afae439d0.jpg

So, I don’t dance. At all. I feel weird and awkward and self conscious. So you can find me at the club (never), weddings, or the silent dance party in a seat watching. I got to jam out to some older newer songs and watch people who had been drinking way too much make fools out of themselves :-)

We were back in the cabin at 11 as we were dragging from the long day and we had another long day tomorrow with our Hidden Gems of Bermuda tour.

818b4b5c81ac355ab69ae2fe880b9c97.jpg

Wonderland looks terrific, and so unique! I agree that this seems like something Disney could do, and make it into one of their signature restaurants.

Maybe my husband and I will do this one. We were planning on just having dinner every night in the MDR (frugal traveler here lol), but this one is unlike anything I’ve seen anywhere. Hmmm...maybe as an anniversary gift or Hanukkah gift to my husband. He’s a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland and would love this place.

Wonderland looks terrific, and so unique! I agree that this seems like something Disney could do, and make it into one of their signature restaurants.

Maybe my husband and I will do this one. We were planning on just having dinner every night in the MDR (frugal traveler here lol), but this one is unlike anything I’ve seen anywhere. Hmmm...maybe as an anniversary gift or Hanukkah gift to my husband. He’s a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland and would love this place.

Wonderland is great! Check out the cruise planner for bogo specials. One dinner without bogo or a package is $49 per person.

Wonderland is great! Check out the cruise planner for bogo specials. One dinner without bogo or a package is $49 per person.

Right now the BOGO special in my Cruise Planner states that if we purchase, upon boarding we will receive confirmation in our cabin for two courtesy reservations for specialty restaurants, and that we must use this for the first two nights of the cruise. It also states that we can make changes to the time or venues. It doesn’t state if Wonderland is one of the possibilities. I’m guessing it isn’t, since this deal only costs $40 per person.

I’ve done Wonderland twice under the bogo on Anthem and Harmony. Upon boarding head to the nearest specialty restaurant to confirm or change your dining reservation.

Thanks for the tip! Do they allow you to change the date of your reservation under the BOGO? I’d like to see the MDR dinner menus if possible beforehand, so we go on a night when the MDR menu is less appealing than other nights.

Thanks for the tip! Do they allow you to change the date of your reservation under the BOGO? I’d like to see the MDR dinner menus if possible beforehand, so we go on a night when the MDR menu is less appealing than other nights.

Technically it is supposed to be used the first two nights. I had one hostess offer to check to see if they could move one of my reservations to day 3 to accommodate Wonderland as it was sold out... didn't bother going through the hassle.

BIgHouse, we were on the same cruise and your photos are great.

But 70's Music is Great! The Silent Disco Channel was great! The GroovyTown Party was Great!

Now carry on ;-)

When a Jeopardy category is 70’s music, we use the time to run to kitchen or bathroom. We were raising children and weren’t aware there was music!

Great review- i am headed to Bermuda on Grandeur in October and had a question about the mini-bus shuttles. Do they just go to Horseshoe and back? We were planning on taking the public bus to Hamilton-stopping at Horseshoe on the way. But reading about the "big hill" has me thinking we will take the mini-bus to Horseshoe and then maybe find another way to get to Hamilton from there

We chose the mutli-day public transport pass that allowed us to take the public bus to Horseshoe Bay and the ferry back and forth to Hamilton (or any other bus that we wanted). I recall some sort of shuttle that took us up and down the hill to the beach. I don't recall the details but I think we just tipped the driver a couple of bucks. The Bermuda forum should have all of the details.