Symphony early flight home from Miami question

VegasMark

Hi all - I have a question regarding an early flight option out of Miami after getting off Symphony in December (on a Saturday). I have an option of using miles to return home on a flight at 9:57am. I know most people ask, "Can I make a flight that early?" There are usually two responses: "Yes, but you are cutting it close, especially if there is an issue." or "Why worry about it... just book a later flight." While I appreciate this advice, the Oasis class is a special breed, in that they have to arrive early in order to resupply the ship with far more than any other ship. These ships really can't get in late (although I do understand that it can happen). Also, we are leaving from Labadee with a sea day before docking is scheduled in Miami at 6am. I'm figuring that even if I carry my own bags off and leave the ship by 7:30, I'll be on my way to the airport by 8am, and there plenty early. I also have TSA pre-check. The only real question mark in my mind is whether Miami will handle things the same as Port Everglades. I've read posts where people have gotten off an Oasis class ship and gotten to FLL for flights before 9am. So I guess that was a long build up to ask if anyone has read anything about whether the docking in Miami will follow much the same plan as it has in Port Everglades. Thank you for your thoughts.

Assuming thing are on schedule, figure first walk offs starting at 6:30AM. Traffic should not be an issue so making that flight should be OK. BTW, having a sea day before docking doesn't guarantee things being on time - immigration guys could be late and screw up the timing.

Actually no one can answer your question as the Symphony has never sailed out of or into Miami. In fact, none of the bigger ships have as the pier is still being built.

We are also sailing on the Symphony in December however we booked our airfare last year.

Thank you. I was hoping that someone read an article or something about how the Oasis class ships will run out of Miami. I wish I could have purchased airfare a year ago, but I just had my leave approved last week.

It will work or it will not.

So many things can happen for it to get screwed up. And so many things have to go right for it to work.

Up to you if the stress and possibly missing the flight is an acceptable risk for YOU.

And nothing we can say will make it doable. Even if someone did it TODAY, does not mean it will work for YOUR arrival.

It will work or it will not.

So many things can happen for it to get screwed up. And so many things have to go right for it to work.

Up to you if the stress and possibly missing the flight is an acceptable risk for YOU.

And nothing we can say will make it doable. Even if someone did it TODAY, does not mean it will work for YOUR arrival.

Yes, I understand this, as I said in my original post. What I was hoping to learn was if someone (perhaps a Miami resident) saw something in the local news about it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We were delayed diembarking in Miami one time due to lack of customs agents (or so we were told) . No one was allowed to disembark before 10:00 and we barely made our 1:00 flight. I realize this was an anomaly but I wouldn't feel comfortable with a flight that early.

I'm local but don't understand what information you are looking for beyond what has already been given.

I'm wondering if the ship will be processed the same was as the other Oasis class ships in Port Everglades. Those ships arrive early and allow disembarkation by 6:30am. Most, if not all, other ships do not allow for disembarkation that early. I'm assuming it will work the same way in Miami judging by the arrival time in the port. I was hoping someone has seen a news piece on how the Port of Miami will work with the Oasis class ships on embarkation day.

I have not seen any news articles about disembarkation but from my experience port everglades and port miami have been pretty much the same, except port everglade has TSA pre-check

/global entry and Miami currently does not. Since the ship is not here yet and the new terminal is not finished there is no way to tell what will happen. The other major difference is that Ft Lauderdale airport is only 5 minutes from the port. In Miami the airport is 15 to 20 minutes away depending on traffic. I will be sailing on Symphony on January 5th so I will have more information then. If you would like to send me your email address I will be happy to let you know how it goes.

Oops, just noticed you sail before me.

I disagree! My mind is not made up! I was looking for someone with local knowledge!!

How can a local look into the future?????????

NO ONE knows what will happen the morning you are scheduled to return.

Those ships arrive early and allow disembarkation by 6:30am. Most, if not all, other ships do not allow for disembarkation that early.

Even if you knew the routine in Miami with Symphony, it would not make any diff with regards to your particular arrival. In general, ships aim to allow disembarkation 30 min after arrival time, regardless of when that is.

As others have said, nobody knows since the pier isn't finished.

However, I would totally book that flight. I've never been on a single cruise out of Miami that I wouldn't have been able to make a 10AM flight. Even Escape which arrives later and disembarkation after 7AM still had plenty of time to make a 10AM flight.

I just can't imagine, with the track record of Oasis-class, that Symphony would somehow be much different than it's always been. And really, are they going to start disembarkation at 9AM or something now? Of course not.

I have not seen any news articles about disembarkation but from my experience port everglades and port miami have been pretty much the same, except port everglade has TSA pre-check

/global entry and Miami currently does not. Since the ship is not here yet and the new terminal is not finished there is no way to tell what will happen. The other major difference is that Ft Lauderdale airport is only 5 minutes from the port. In Miami the airport is 15 to 20 minutes away depending on traffic. I will be sailing on Symphony on January 5th so I will have more information then. If you would like to send me your email address I will be happy to let you know how it goes.

Oops, just noticed you sail before me.

Thank you - I appreciate your helpful response.

As others have said, nobody knows since the pier isn't finished.

However, I would totally book that flight. I've never been on a single cruise out of Miami that I wouldn't have been able to make a 10AM flight. Even Escape which arrives later and disembarkation after 7AM still had plenty of time to make a 10AM flight.

I just can't imagine, with the track record of Oasis-class, that Symphony would somehow be much different than it's always been. And really, are they going to start disembarkation at 9AM or something now? Of course not.

This makes sense to me as well - thank you.

Thank you. I was hoping that someone read an article or something about how the Oasis class ships will run out of Miami. I wish I could have purchased airfare a year ago, but I just had my leave approved last week.

So,,, on other ships out of Miami, we have easily made 10 am flights,,,, sitting at the gate at 8:30 am.

We cruise a lot. We NEVER plan for worst case scenarios,,,, and just deal with them if they occur. For example, last summer, our arrival was delayed due to the Port of Miami being closed due to fog. When the port opened, there was a long line of cruise ships and cargo ships, all trying to get into the port. We finally docked at 11:00 am with 100% of the passengers clogging the deck pushing and shoving trying to get to the gangway. Yup, we missed our flight. Just went stand-by on the next flight. No problem. Would I ever plan a flight based on the potential that the port is closed due to fog,,,, never.

So,,, on other ships out of Miami, we have easily made 10 am flights,,,, sitting at the gate at 8:30 am.

We cruise a lot. We NEVER plan for worst case scenarios,,,, and just deal with them if they occur. For example, last summer, our arrival was delayed due to the Port of Miami being closed due to fog. When the port opened, there was a long line of cruise ships and cargo ships, all trying to get into the port. We finally docked at 11:00 am with 100% of the passengers clogging the deck pushing and shoving trying to get to the gangway. Yup, we missed our flight. Just went stand-by on the next flight. No problem. Would I ever plan a flight based on the potential that the port is closed due to fog,,,, never.

Yes, I agree. If you didn't dock until 11am, I'll bet half the ship missed their flights. If things work the way they are supposed to, then a 10am flight should be fine. If the ship doesn't dock until 11am, then anything before 1pm is going to be missed. I'm with you - I'm willing to take a chance because more often than not it will work out. If it doesn't, I'll deal with the consequences. I was just wondering if anyone had some intel about how Miami will handle the Oasis class ships, but like a couple others have said, they will probably do it the same way as Port Everglades. Thank you!

• 6 months later...
13 minutes ago, cruisesola said:

hello i am traveling symphony in june 2019, have a flight question maybe u can help me with...9:55am flight out of FLL, how was disembarkation, do you think we will make it? not tsa approved.

I would not risk a flight that early, coming into PortMiami and flying out of FLL. 

• Like 1