Do You Think Post Cruise Surveys Make Cruising Better for Future Passengers?

need2cruisesoon

I completed surveys after our past 2 cruises and received a call back from both companies to discuss further. Neither cruises were spectacular, but I am fairly comfortable that nothing we said will change anything. The management have a vision what product they want to provide and if they lose long term customers, there are many more waiting to cruise.

We had a less than stellar cruise in 2016. DH completed his on line survey with a lot of negatives.

Never heard from HAL until we decided to cancel 2 future cruises. Our TA got a call from HAL wanting to know why we were cancelling. They had never bothered to read DH's survey.

The cruise lines get hundreds and hundreds of surveys each week and there is no way they can read them all.

So unless a cruise line reads all the surveys, they have no way of knowing what is wrong and what should be corrected on a cruise.

Every company has a target for their customer satisfaction surveys, for some that target is 70% satisfaction, for others it is higher and some may even set their sights lower. As long as they are achieving their satisfaction goal the status quo will be maintained. The surveys, if used properly, can alert the company to systemic issues but of course the company executives have to be attuned to that. If you complain about receiving lukewarm soup it will be ignored. If you (and many, many others) complain about a recurring issue then it should receive attention. Just like any other tool the surveys have to be used properly in order to work.

On small ships where the survey is read by ship personnel, we have had feedback. On another small ship, the dry dock changed an awkward set-up where a space was underused. Passengers and crew had complained and corporate finally agreed. On Princess and HAL nothing changed due to the survey. We have not been back to Princess and to HAL after 5 years. We'll see how that goes.

I have written positive feed back on members of the crew.

Some cruise lines select those who will receive a survey. So, to keep up their numbers or ratings, I suspect they target certain individuals. Would you send a survey to the passengers who got put in a cabin that has a history of plumbing problems? Or, would they send it to a suite passenger who is a member of their loyalty group?

I found that there is often nowhere to detail an issue. You rank your answers to the questions or say yes or no. We could all make up a survey that is only going to give us a pretty positive view of ourselves or our product.

I believe they are all read by an underling, but it is really a bean counter sort of activity.

Also, many companies have done to a 10 or nothing scale. They tell you rate 1 - 10, but consider a 9 as a failure. So no real info. And it makes things look bad, when there are people who believe in rating fairly, where anything over a 5 is better than average.