Grandeur or Anthem: Jan 2018 Bahamas

Abr155

I know, I know, it's like comparing apples to oranges, but there is bound to be someone who has sailed on both or sister ships!

Looking at Grandeur out of Baltimore or Anthem out of Jersey (both ports equal 1.5 hour drive for us) end of Jan into Feb 2019 (hopefully missing Yeshiva week as I read some horrid reviews of a "teen" cruise this past January on the Anthem).

It would be my husband and me (age 32, hubby would turn 33 on ship).

Looking for great food (including specialty restaurants) and nightly entertainment.

Looking for clean, large balcony stateroom.

Good service, obviously!

We always go to the night shows.

Both itineraries include several "at sea" days so looking for fun daily entertainment as well as quiet adults only places to lounge and relax.

Never use the pools, at least the outdoor pool...find them too crowded no matter what size the ship.

Probably wouldn't use Anthem's "activities" (except North Star, would hop on that sucker haha), so the bumper cars, sky diving, surfing stuff isn't a huge sway, thought I hear it's fun to watch others.

The modern aspect of Anthem is appealing (LOVE how the room and bathroom look), but the # of guests and bad reviews is off putting...is it really that bad though if we reserve everything we want ahead of time??

Grandeur has a slightly better & longer itinerary, but Anthem is actually a good deal cheaper for the balcony room.

We've sailed on a number of ships similar to Grandeur, so it might be fun to change it up with one of the mega ships, but I'm also worried about it being too mega.

Anyhoo, would love to hear some opinions!

I'm a mega ship guy and I loved Anthem. Just booked her again. I vote Anthem. The indoor pool is really nice. The 270 room is one of the coolest I've ever seen on a ship. Really beautiful and fun room.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You'll find many answers here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2668579

I was undecided about the exact same cruises.

Thanks, Bob! We're also in PA (Lancaster). You're right, these are the exact same cruises and itineraries! See where you picked Anthem, how was it?? Did the weather hold out for you in the Bahamas? What did you do on the multiple cruise days?

I have been on both Anthem and Grandeur, and between the two, Anthem wins hands down. I actually have never been a fan of the bigger ships, but Anthem is so outstanding I'd pick it again in a heartbeat over Grandeur. We had a standard balcony cabin, and it was the largest and most comfortable cabin we've ever had on any ship. There are many dining options, lots of shows (book in advance,) a beautiful and high-tech ship. Loved, loved, loved it. Cruising in and out of Bayonne was vastly improved from our last experience there 10 years ago. The new terminal made check in and debarkation among the fastest we have ever experienced. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. I would not rush to sail on Grandeur again.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great cruise.

Thanks, Bob! We're also in PA (Lancaster). You're right, these are the exact same cruises and itineraries! See where you picked Anthem, how was it?? Did the weather hold out for you in the Bahamas? What did you do on the multiple cruise days?

What I was trying to say is that I am no longer undecided. I will be cruising on Anthem for the first time in January 2019.

I have been on both Anthem and Grandeur, and between the two, Anthem wins hands down. I actually have never been a fan of the bigger ships, but Anthem is so outstanding I'd pick it again in a heartbeat over Grandeur. We had a standard balcony cabin, and it was the largest and most comfortable cabin we've ever had on any ship. There are many dining options, lots of shows (book in advance,) a beautiful and high-tech ship. Loved, loved, loved it. Cruising in and out of Bayonne was vastly improved from our last experience there 10 years ago. The new terminal made check in and debarkation among the fastest we have ever experienced. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. I would not rush to sail on Grandeur again.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great cruise.

That reason alone, I would not sail on Anthem. I am on VACATION. I don't know at 6PM whether I will go to the early or late show, or where I will eat dinner. :D

That reason alone, I would not sail on Anthem. I am on VACATION. I don't know at 6PM whether I will go to the early or late show, or where I will eat dinner. :D

I agree.

I would pick Grandeur anytime. I don't need to feel like I am on a floating amusement park. I want to cruise in a cruise ship

The crew on the Grandeur was outstanding and very friendly as to compare on the Anthem as they were too busy when to say hi.

Our room steward on the Grandeur made it a point to check on you once a day to make sure everything was ok as on the Anthem I saw my steward once at the beginning of the cruise

I liked the idea of reading the cruise compass and deciding what time I wanted to see the nightly show and not have to book my time months in advance.

On the Anhem cruise we took there were not nightly show but only headIner shows.

My biggest turn off was the cruise director (who I mentioned in my post cruise survey) as bring complelty rude and mean to passengers.

Yes there are more choices for food on Anthem but they are at an additional cost.

I agree.

I would pick Grandeur anytime. I don't need to feel like I am on a floating amusement park. I want to cruise in a cruise ship

The crew on the Grandeur was outstanding and very friendly as to compare on the Anthem as they were too busy when to say hi.

Our room steward on the Grandeur made it a point to check on you once a day to make sure everything was ok as on the Anthem I saw my steward once at the beginning of the cruise

I liked the idea of reading the cruise compass and deciding what time I wanted to see the nightly show and not have to book my time months in advance.

On the Anhem cruise we took there were not nightly show but only headIner shows.

My biggest turn off was the cruise director (who I mentioned in my post cruise survey) as bring complelty rude and mean to passengers.

Yes there are more choices for food on Anthem but they are at an additional cost.

Wow last year we absolutely loved the cruise director and usually I'm like who cares about the CD. We actually liked him very much but I can't remember his name. He was a funny guy too. I guess it's like anything else. Can't please everyone.

I am a mega ship guy so love Anthem but I can certainly understand it's not for everyone. Some like the smaller, quieter ships.

No requirement to reserve a show; you can just show up. Almost always no issue unless you were a group of 5 wanting to sit together, et. al.

We've been on GoS several times (and again early December and then in late Jan which will FINALLY get us to DIAMOND status whoo-hoo!). We like the convenience of drive not fly (and nearby hotels offer stay & sail packages that are good deals when you figure in the exhorbitant parking charges at the Port of Baltimore). We also prefer the smaller ships, and GoS is pretty intimate and has generally had excellent staff service. Cruise Director and their staff have been fabulous. Have discussed AoS with my wife, but haven't tried it yet. I think my brother and sister-in-law have taken it to Bermuda and liked it. All this said, Anthem will have more space indoors and probably more entertainment and activity options for you. On GoS, we've had good results finding people with common interests and finding the right venues or making our own party. Happy sailing.

Wow last year we absolutely loved the cruise director and usually I'm like who cares about the CD. We actually liked him very much but I can't remember his name. He was a funny guy too. I guess it's like anything else. Can't please everyone.

I am a mega ship guy so love Anthem but I can certainly understand it's not for everyone. Some like the smaller, quieter ships.

True you can't please everyone but when you have a guy yelling art everyone to go back to their cabin and get out of his way while guest are waiting in line to enter to see a show is unacceptable.

I have sailed on both many times, and continue to do so. I have spent the last four months of January on the Anthem. This January I will be on the Grandeur.

But if I had to choose between the two for my "one annual vacation", it would be Anthem, without hesitation.

True you can't please everyone but when you have a guy yelling art everyone to go back to their cabin and get out of his way while guest are waiting in line to enter to see a show is unacceptable.
Ok, cryptic. I'm not fully following.