Price different two weeks later double

Markanddonna

It depends on how many people have booked. More people book, higher fare. Less people booked, lower fare.

Same like the airlines. And for serious capacity controlled pricing, look at Vegas.

I have personally had a room that was $45 Mon - Thurs. Around $180 for Friday night, and $285 for Saturday night. SAME ROOM.

Law of supply and demand is there.

If you check something in early December or mid-January and compare the pricing to late December and mid-February, you will see it almost all the time.

We used to cruise often on Valentine's Week, but not anymore. We had our vows renewed on Valentine's Day in the Captain's quarters. That was a highlight.

Jim

I'm looking at a cruise leaving Jan 31, 2019. It is $699. The same cruise two weeks later- Feb 10 is about $1360. Same itinerary, same ship.

Is there something on the calendar of which I may not be aware to account for this huge price jump? Valentines' Day?

Many northern school districts have winter break that week.

No surprise there. As already noted, prices can vary considerably from week to week. We normally prefer to take our winter vacations in Feb to get a good break from the cold and dark. But on our last few cruises we've been able to save $$$$ just by sliding our sail dates into Jan. This really is no different than resorts or hotels that have variable pricing based on predicted demand.

I'm looking at a cruise leaving Jan 31, 2019. It is $699. The same cruise two weeks later- Feb 10 is about $1360. Same itinerary, same ship.

Is there something on the calendar of which I may not be aware to account for this huge price jump? Valentines' Day?

Hi

Is this the first time you have noticed this sort of thing? Over the years, you must have read people's complaints, how because they could only sail when the kids were out of school and how much higher the prices are.

As you mentioned, for your situation...Valentine's Day. :hearteyes:

If you can go at the earlier time, then you understand that it is good value. If you can't then you will be paying what the market can bear. Of course you should check other cruise lines, you might find a bargain, who knows.

There are many times in the year when prices are lower for certain cruises, for example this time of year you get great prices for Caribbean cruise. Hurricanes!!! Early/mid December, too close to Christmas for many.

p.s. thought I would just point out, do you fly? Same flight/destination, same day, a couple of hours earlier or later and you can save hundred of dollars

Edited by Nic6318

Curious as to if it is for the same cabin category. I just checked prices on Oasis and Allure for those weeks and there is only a $180.00 price difference between weeks. What line and ship are you asking about

These fares have been stable for the past month with no fluctuation. I noted this ship had a vegan cruise in February that had horrible reviews. I checked to be sure this cheap week wasn't a vegan cruise (they have one scheduled in March.)

I understand all the typical variables and am now searching to see if a "more challenging" group chartered on the inexpensive sailing.

We'll probably hit the buy key today. Thanks for your helping me to think this through.