Facebook Calls

rangerdog

Good afternoon,

I'm leaving tomorrow and I've added the Facebook/Social Media package so I can message home. My daughter in law is currently pregnant and I was wondering if I'm able to use the Facebook Call feature and make an actual call, or is the social media package just for messaging? Thanks so much.

You may be able to use that feature, but it probably won't work. The internet speed on ship is notoriously slow. Pictures take forever to upload. Even a very short (18 second) video can take several minutes to upload. I just can't see how a VOIP feature could possibly work. YMMV (your mileage may vary)!

Restrictions - just some of them - directly from Carnival website

• Satellite internet speed may vary depending on location and time of day
  • Video streaming sites such as Hulu and Netflix are blocked
  • Cellular-network-dependent WiFi Calling and Facetime services are also not supported

I doubt that the Facebook calling will work if none of the above works

We tried the Value plan for FB Messenger voice calls -- that worked well -- and for video calls, which did not. (And that was fine with us.)

The fact that Wi-Fi calling isn't supported by Carnival, but it IS on Royal, is something Carnival needs to address. Having that "free calls to and from home" ability was really cool on the Independence back in February.

FYI for anyone else reading this. "Not supported" is also fancy speak for it could work, but if it doesn't or you have trouble we won't help you fix it. I've had no problem with facebook calls or wifi calling from my cellular device.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

HAS ANYONE CRUISED ON CARNIVAL VALOR? WHICH PACKAGE WORKS WITH FACEBOOK VIDEO CALLING OR DO ALL PACKAGES WORK WITH FACEBOOK VIDEO CALLING? HOW WAS YOUR WIFI PACKAGE EXPERIENCE ON BOARD? WHICH PACKAGE DID YOU GET? THANKS

On 10/3/2018 at 12:35 PM, mackenzie80 said:

FYI for anyone else reading this. "Not supported" is also fancy speak for it could work, but if it doesn't or you have trouble we won't help you fix it. I've had no problem with facebook calls or wifi calling from my cellular device.

Just curious, do you have an android phone or Iphone?

On 3/17/2021 at 4:51 PM, johnk864 said:

HAS ANYONE CRUISED ON CARNIVAL VALOR? WHICH PACKAGE WORKS WITH FACEBOOK VIDEO CALLING OR DO ALL PACKAGES WORK WITH FACEBOOK VIDEO CALLING? HOW WAS YOUR WIFI PACKAGE EXPERIENCE ON BOARD? WHICH PACKAGE DID YOU GET? THANKS

Dude, disable the caps-lock, no need to shout...

Anyway, whatever was the case over a year ago, by the time we cruise again the network fabric of the ships and how it is managed could very well have changed.  I think it will be a case of wait and see, unless specific announcements are made.

17 hours ago, rs45thompson said:

It used to work along with whatsapp.  They must have stopped that because on my last couple of cruises it didn't work.  

Indeed, the original implement may have just throttled your bitrate, but as things evolved they may have detected what your device is doing via the active app(s), and disables content based on that as well.

23 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Dude, disable the caps-lock, no need to shout...

Anyway, whatever was the case over a year ago, by the time we cruise again the network fabric of the ships and how it is managed could very well have changed.  I think it will be a case of wait and see, unless specific announcements are made.

Indeed, the original implement may have just throttled your bitrate, but as things evolved they may have detected what your device is doing via the active app(s), and disables content based on that as well.

Do you think it will work if I bought the premium package?  I used to buy the social media package.

On 3/20/2021 at 7:30 AM, rs45thompson said:

Do you think it will work if I bought the premium package?  I used to buy the social media package.

Dunno, TBH.

The Premium plan current says:

"Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows."

In theory the bitrate from FB calling would be similar.

The other plans say they do not support Skype video calling, nor video streaming such as Netflix.

It really depends how fine-tuned their firewall/router is for message/packet traffic.

6 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Dunno, TBH.

The Premium plan current says:

"Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows."

In theory the bitrate from FB calling would be similar.

The other plans say they do not support Skype video calling, nor video streaming such as Netflix.

It really depends how fine-tuned their firewall/router is for message/packet traffic.

I  might try it on my October cruise.  Thank you for the information.