Best and worst foods/what not to miss

tjcletzgo

Hello, it's been about 10 years since we last cruised RCCL. What's the best things to eat and do?

Thanks so much!

You're in for a shock with what they are passing off as food now especially if it's the free venues.

Paid restaurant ...150 central park is best bet

We started cruising back then.

The food has definitely gone downhill in the main dining room. Windjammer only slightly worse. Room service feels like it got better. Pizza and cookies seem the same.

We don’t feel like it’s enough for us to not totally enjoy cruising though. It’s still an awesome vacation.

Just my opinion :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was on the Allure last week.

Lamb chops and lamb shank was good, beef tenderlion was good also

Salmon was good . Even a new york steak was OK .

Lasangna was OK .

Lobster wasn't all that great .

All this in the main dining room , not the specialty restuarants .

Try the main dining room for lunch , nice salads and made to order pasta.

I don't think you will go hungry . Just don't expect michelin star rated food .

I may be the only one that likes the food on this board ... lol .

Food is subjective. You'll find a lot of negative comments, but we found it good and really no complaints.

In MDR, the salmon and garlic shrimp is very good. For breakfast, eggs benedict was really good. The buffet had lots of selection as well for lunch and breakfast. As above poster, we certainly didn't go hungry.

The cookies at Promenade Cafe were really yummy (think they are the coconut ranger that people mention?)

We tried specialty for the first time (Chops) and really enjoyed the meal.

Interested in comment re room service. Has this improved / expanded since the introduction of the $9.99 service charge? I must admit that I was a bit shocked to learn that the charge has doubled since I last sailed Royal!

ETA: just realised I'm confusing Johnnie Rockets with Room service. JR has doubled. Still curious about room service though -- what items are good or bad?

Edited by dutchclogs

Look if you want GREAT food a cruise ship isn't the place for that !. But as far as the food on royal goes it's OK to pretty good depends on what there is in the MDR or even in the windjammer. You will never go hungry on a ship that's for sure and if you do shame on you now with that being said,,,,

My favorite thing is the mashed potatoes and gravy.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look if you want GREAT food a cruise ship isn't the place for that !. But as far as the food on royal goes it's OK to pretty good depends on what there is in the MDR or even in the windjammer. You will never go hungry on a ship that's for sure and if you do shame on you now with that being said,,,,

My favorite thing is the mashed potatoes and gravy.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two thumbs up! Me? Short Ribs!

Hi tjcletzgo :)

If you're sailing on a ship with a Wonderland speciality restaurant, the Terroir Beef with river stone potatoes & bordelaise sauce is outstanding.

Scrumptious! Melts in your mouth!

My tummy just rumbled..

:)

Just booked the BOGO specialty restaurant package on Anthem in April. Hoping to get Wonderland and try this dish!

I wonder why all these posters with terrible reviews of RCCL food waste their money cruising. I agree with fishbonz that the food on RCCL is more than acceptable.

I especially enjoy the Tutti salad for lunch in the MDR. The made to order pasta is a bonus.

If your ship has a Jamie Oliver restaurant, it's worth the upcharge. That was the best meal we had on Anthem last month. Lamb shank in the dining room is consistently good, and one of my all time faves. Windjammer is, IMO, not great. We typically avoid it. You won't go hungry.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

I stepped out of my comfort zone on my last cruise and tried the escargot in the MDR... WOW.... SUPER GREAT... I had them every night afterwards and looks forward to them again. They have the texture of a cooked oyster, smothered in a butter/spiced sauce, and I did not have to dig them out of the snail shell. (Liberty of the Sea).

We also enjoyed the beef wellington in the MDR

My wife and I enjoy the MDR because the food seems to us a little more elevated. No complaints here....

Edited by RC Tim
forgot a piece