TA Pricing for Princess

kywildcatfanone

Hi folks,

I'm not asking for names or anything, but experiences with your TA. We have been using the same TA now for about 8 years, and she has been wonderful to work with. It used to be though that she could discount the princess fee from the website and give some OBC, so I would normally on a 7 day inside cabin Caribbean cruise save around $100/pp in total. The last couple of cruises I have booked with her, she has given me $50/pp discount, but no OBC. I'm normally paying about $700/pp and then get $100/pp in discounts/OBC plus whatever Princess offered.

Am I still getting a good deal, or should I be looking at other TA's? Just wondering if this has changed for everyone, or not. I understand there is more room in balcony cabins, and obviously suites for them to provide higher discounts, just was curious if others were seeing the same thing, or I should be shopping around.

Thanks!

Often OBC comes with group space. It maybe purely luck of the draw that the last cruises you have booked with their agency did not have group space. Agencies can not get group space on every sailing. So if you switch, you may encounter the same thing.

You may just want to ask them about the OBC next time. Maybe something else is going on.

Hi folks,

I'm not asking for names or anything, but experiences with your TA. We have been using the same TA now for about 8 years, and she has been wonderful to work with. It used to be though that she could discount the princess fee from the website and give some OBC, so I would normally on a 7 day inside cabin Caribbean cruise save around $100/pp in total. The last couple of cruises I have booked with her, she has given me $50/pp discount, but no OBC. I'm normally paying about $700/pp and then get $100/pp in discounts/OBC plus whatever Princess offered.

Am I still getting a good deal, or should I be looking at other TA's? Just wondering if this has changed for everyone, or not. I understand there is more room in balcony cabins, and obviously suites for them to provide higher discounts, just was curious if others were seeing the same thing, or I should be shopping around.

Thanks!

I can give you the exact reason, but I can't write it here. You can message me and I will give you the best answer

You can't PM people on Cruise Critic. Some people include contact info in their signature lines.

The cruise lines have been actively trying to cut out TAs--look at their "personal cruise consultants," etc. In addition, some lines have cut the percentage that the TAs get or put in place other regulations that decrease the amount of commission they see. All of these points, whether they apply to Princess or not, may affect the amount of perk the TA can give you. They need to make a living first. If income is decreasing...perks will decrease.

If you are getting any sort of discount off of published rates, you're doing good. I'd rather see a discount than an OBC, although ultimately it all comes out the same.

Hi folks,

Thanks!

I will try to explain without getting myself in trouble. The cruiselines have put stricter rules in place to limit Travel Agents from discounting their cruises. Most likely, the person was cutting into their commissions and the amount of commissions the person is getting now has been reduced.

my experience with a TA is that with the Princess cruises in particular the prices were higher through a TA and there was no OBC at all, than when purchasing directly on the website. I thought once was a fluke, but it happened again and again, so now I purchase directly with Princess.

That same TA offered a small discount and/or a $25 OBC for other cruise lines. But I still purchased directly through the other cruise lines' websites. Gives me a peace of mind.

My TA gives me approximately 8% off every published fare, plus OBCs if she has a group booking. No booking or cancellation fees and excellent service. I know others report even higher discounts, but I'm satisfied with what I have.

And no, OBCs and discounts aren't always the same. On my upcoming 7-day cruise I have, with FDC, shareholder, Princess sale, and TA group OBCs, and free gratuities to boot, more than enough non-refundable OBCs. We usually are independent travelers, but I'm booking Princess shore excursions just to burn it off. Of course, depending on drinking and gambling habits YMMV, but I'm always happy to save money out front (which I did, too) rather than getting use-it-or-lose it OBC.

my experience with a TA is that with the Princess cruises in particular the prices were higher through a TA and there was no OBC at all, than when purchasing directly on the website. I.

There is no reason that a price thru a TA should be higher than the company web site.

We did have this "try" to happen once. By that, I mean that I saw the cruise I wanted, and sent the TA a screen shot. When she called Princess to book, they insisted that the price was $3000 higher and they couldn't find the price I'd seen, even with the screen shot. SO we went back to square 1. I found the price the same way I had originally and placed a hold on it, sent the hold to the TA, and she took it from there at the cheaper rate. Bottom line, I wasn't about to pay more because Princess "couldn't find" the same fare I could find. And honestly, it irritated me enough that I told the TA that if Princess didn't honor the rate on the web, I wouldn't be cruising with them.

Thanks for the replies.

So, my TA told me she discounted $50 per person, so $100 off. But on the confirmation she sent me, It is exactly the same price as on the princess website, to the penny. I'm just not sure if I'm missing something. I assume i should see a $100 price difference from booking with Princess vs the TA, but I don't. That's why I'm confused on this particular booking.

I like my TA, but I don't get how I'm getting a discount by using them.

Getting $100 in discount/OBC on a $700p/ cruise is overly generous whether it is from a group amenity or TA comm.

Princess is one of the few cruise lines that still permits TA’s to discount their best current rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can say, no they dont

Thanks for the replies.

So, my TA told me she discounted $50 per person, so $100 off. But on the confirmation she sent me, It is exactly the same price as on the princess website, to the penny. I'm just not sure if I'm missing something. I assume i should see a $100 price difference from booking with Princess vs the TA, but I don't. That's why I'm confused on this particular booking.

Because most likely, your ta is covering that difference out of their pocket, but still has to show on invoice what princess requires for payment

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know what credit cards you use, but right now Discover card is giving 10% cash back on Princess. Sales ends 11/30/2018. I always jump on those especially when the 3 for free promotions are going on. Something to think about. there's also a big box company that will give you cash back as well using their credit card. It's not as good as Discover card though.

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like you need a new TA. Ours gives 8%-12% off the cruise fare price +some OBC depending on group space.

I always book my own cruises. Shortly before final payment I send it to my TA and ask what he can discount. He tells me how much he will knock off of the price and then I transfer the booking to him. My final invoice shows the exact same price as Princess charges but my credit card is charged with the discounted price. Princess still gets the same price that I booked. The difference comes out of the TAs commission. I do the work of booking the cruise and tracking the price, promos, etc. Once I transfer it to the TA all he really does is make the final payment using my credit card info so he pretty much does almost nothing but still gets his commission -- minus the amount he knocks off of the price. I get a lower price and he gets a smaller commission but does no work.

Sounds like you need a new TA. Ours gives 8%-12% off the cruise fare price +some OBC depending on group space.

For a $700 cruise pp, there are a lot of taxes/fees in there. What they are getting is actually pretty good.

I don't know what credit cards you use, but right now Discover card is giving 10% cash back on Princess. Sales ends 11/30/2018. I always jump on those especially when the 3 for free promotions are going on. Something to think about. there's also a big box company that will give you cash back as well using their credit card. It's not as good as Discover card though.

We received the same Discover credit card offer. In the small print it says you need to book through the "Cruise Line" phone number on the mailer. Did not follow thru since we still have FCCs and the offer says the deposit and the rest of the cruise charge must be totally made on the Discover charge card. My initial thought was that there may be a different (higher) price that is "discounted" when you call the "Cruise Line" phone number. Has anyone actually checked this offer out and booked a cruise?

Our experience has been what THRAK and others have described.

Yes, TA's can and do discount rates. (How much of this is taken from their commission, I would not know)

There are offers, such as Captain's Circle Fares that are sent out to certain past cruisers that TA's would not see, or be able to quote/match.

If that is the case, it might be true that the rate a past cruiser sees online would be less than the base rate that TA's and everyone else sees.

In our case, we put a hold on the cruise, online thru Princess... Then had the TA pick up the booking, at a slightly further discount.

We have seen 'group OBC' available in the past. Sometimes it is available, sometimes not.

There are offers, such as Captain's Circle Fares that are sent out to certain past cruisers that TA's would not see, or be able to quote/match.

With your Captain's Circle number, a TA should be able to see any fare offer that applies to you.

Thanks for the replies.

My TA will send me the Princess Booking Confirmation with Princess logo on it that shows the price they charge, with promotional rate. She will also send me a confirmation and billing info on her agencies' letterhead that show the price I pay. If you don't have that type of TA booking in writing then ask for it.

When you contact your TA on a cruise offer received from Princess Cruises, be sure to include the offer identification number with it. That is usually found in what looks like a footnote on the offer. We have found that our TA might not be aware of the offer we received, but with this identification can get the pricing and OBC benefits offered by Princess.

Princess still allows discounting. I am confused on what you are disagreeing with.

I cant say more or I get in trouble. There is a difference between giving a cheaper rate that the public can't get because the TA has a group they put you into vs just booking it as a single booking and giving a discount. The cruiselines dont allow discounting. Yes, TA have the work around, but the cruiseline sees the amount and gets that amount that they would charge on their site.

We received the same Discover credit card offer. In the small print it says you need to book through the "Cruise Line" phone number on the mailer. Did not follow thru since we still have FCCs and the offer says the deposit and the rest of the cruise charge must be totally made on the Discover charge card. My initial thought was that there may be a different (higher) price that is "discounted" when you call the "Cruise Line" phone number. Has anyone actually checked this offer out and booked a cruise?

It's the same rate as Princess, and you can also get the price drops. I've always used my Discover card and used their travel company. Not one single time have I ever had any trouble. Even using EZAir, they will book the EZAir and your seats. We're happy with them and have used them for years now. I've compared Discover to the big top and Discover has always been a better deal. Nice to get the cash back when we return from the cruise. It pays off our S&S card when we return.