Cruising with a record

kona_wahine

Maybe because he owes child support in one state and lives in another? The other state is not going to be looking for him. If he's arrested for something else and he has a warrant out in another state, they will hold him to see if that state wants to extradite. They almost never will for misdemeanors.

If he has an out of state warrant any encounter with law enforcement of any level will result in him being detained until they determine if the local courts will extradite him. Most likely they are pointing out that if he cruised he will run into law enforcement where he will be detained. The same could happen any time at home, if he ran into law enforcement, which most people don’t on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, the truth is he can’t get a passport because of something stupid he did early in life and went away for 5 years. During that 5 years child support racked up. So, he got out to a huge debt, along with all the other issues of his new free life. Getting a job to support yourself is hard enough, and it takes time to pay it back. But you all just enjoy looking down your noses. I’m done. Thanks to those who actually had something of value to add. I appreciate it.

You put the information out there on a public social site and based on the information you provided, people responded and now you are the victim? "Something stupid" doesn't sound like taking responsibility.

You put the information out there on a public social site and based on the information you provided, people responded and now you are the victim? "Something stupid" doesn't sound like taking responsibility.

Sounds more like he committed a crime that was serious enough to cause him to serve 5 years in prison. 'Something stupid', 'went away for 5 years' - cute how OP uses euphemisms to minimize the actions of her son's friend. Because after all, he IS a 'good guy'.

Okay here is the bigger issue. Currently birth certificate and drivers license good for boarding. However if something happens that he would have to fly home from a foreign port he cannot enter the US from a foreign country without a passport.

Definitely needs to do further research with the courts or his lawyer regarding his reentry into the US.

Sounds more like he committed a crime that was serious enough to cause him to serve 5 years in prison. 'Something stupid', 'went away for 5 years' - cute how OP uses euphemisms to minimize the actions of her son's friend. Because after all, he IS a 'good guy'.
Probably like Brock Turner was a "good kid"

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I have an issue with the fact that he owes child support and is instead planning on a cruise. My ex owes me over $4k and when he and current whatever she is (girlfriend, live in lover, partner, fake wife) go on vacation, his excuse is always "I'm not paying for it, <insert name here> is paying for it." Ok...but you both pay all the bill etc, so nice try pal. A nice guy doesn't vacation instead of taking care of his obligations first, regardless of whether or not it was years ago or he has the kid now, or whatever.

18ish, shooting at mailboxes, hit house, served 5 years mandatory, did his time MORE THAN 20 YEARS AGO. I hope you don’t live in a glass house.

18ish, shooting at mailboxes, hit house, served 5 years mandatory, did his time MORE THAN 20 YEARS AGO. I hope you don’t live in a glass house.

Of course you are right, everyone spends 5 years in jail for one reason or another. Don’t understand why you keep defending a guy who is obviously not the good guy you try to portray him as.

Ok, hang on, I was on your side here with the no judging. Your didn't have to provide the specifics.

But, since you did. That is not a conviction you can lose your passport over.

Again, treason or international drug trafficking are the only criminal convictions that can prevent you from getting a passport.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Shooting at mailboxes that are in front of houses where people live? Hits a house and that's a mistake? His bad aim? If he had shot somebody, they would still be dead more than 20 years.

This is true for misdemeanors, but all DUIs are treated as felony offenses by Canadian immigration. Their laws can charge DUI as either and they err on the side of more serious when they don't have any other information.

Therefore, they do not have discretion to allow DUIs offenders in after 10 years, as they would with, say, misdemeanor pot possession.

FYI - Canada is the only country with unfettered access to the NCIC database, where all US citizens have their criminal record stored. So, this sort of problem is unique to Canada. No other country is going to know if you had a DUI 20 years ago.

At Border crossings, they can still use their discretion though. My friend's ex husband has what I believe is a felony conviction for violating a restraining order several times. I know it is more than a misdemeanor . They were taking their son to college in Canada and he was stopped. After over an hour in the border patrol office, they let him in with the caveat that he return to that specific border crossing in three days and that he not return to Canada until 20 years after his conviction. It may have helped that she was there and the restraining order was in her name, I don't know. They did say that the only reason they let him cross was that his son had a student visa.

Ok, hang on, I was on your side here with the no judging. Your didn't have to provide the specifics.

But, since you did. That is not a conviction you can lose your passport over.

Again, treason or international drug trafficking are the only criminal convictions that can prevent you from getting a passport.

Maybe in Canada but you are very wrong for the US.

https://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/passport-for-convicted-felon/

And in these and others it says Child Support only has to be in arrears $2500 not $5000.

https://helpforfelons.org/can-a-felon-get-a-passport/

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/reasons-the-government-might-not-give-you-a-passport.html/

Edited by firemanbobswife

Maybe in Canada but you are very wrong for the US.

https://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/passport-for-convicted-felon/

And in this one and others it says Child Support only has to be in arrears $2500 not $5000.

https://helpforfelons.org/can-a-felon-get-a-passport/

Yup, you're agreeing with exactly what I said.

The only _criminal convictions_ that can cause you to not be able to get a passport are international drug trafficking or treason.

Owing child support or being required to pay child support are not criminal convictions.

They said specifically that he could not get a passport due to his record.

Yes, you can be convicted of a felony for failing to pay child support. However, that conviction actually doesn't prevent you from getting a passport, it's just owing the child support that prevents you from getting a passport.

Yup, you're agreeing with exactly what I said.

The only _criminal convictions_ that can cause you to not be able to get a passport are international drug trafficking or treason.

Owing child support or being required to pay child support are not criminal convictions.

They said specifically that he could not get a passport due to his record.

Yes, you can be convicted of a felony for failing to pay child support. However, that conviction actually doesn't prevent you from getting a passport, it's just owing the child support that prevents you from getting a passport.

See post #23 and #52. It was about child support. He owes and can’t get a Passport. Fell behind because he was in jail. So I guess that “record” means his record is that he owes the money.

I knew someone a while back in the same predicament. As long as they owed it, no Passport.

Shooting at mailboxes that are in front of houses where people live? Hits a house and that's a mistake? His bad aim? If he had shot somebody, they would still be dead more than 20 years.

This. Sorry, not seeing the same story out of this that you are that makes him a ‘good guy’. He was 18, with at least one child, and decided to shoot a gun in a residential neighborhood; whether he was aiming at a mailbox and missed and shot a 3 year old playing on the lawn or was aiming at a mailbox and missed and shot the side of a house is a little beside the point. I doubt you would appreciate someone shooting a gun on your street at your house. And in the time he was away for doing a ‘stupid’ thing, aka, a horribly dangerous thing that he can only be thankful didn’t kill anyone, his child’s mother is struggling to be a single mother and support herself and her child. And 20 years later he still owes on this! Yeah, your right, he’s a good guy trying to do right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No I don't, because I don't want some idiot shooting at it. MORE THAN 20 YEARS AGO means he has had MORE THAN 20 YEARS to take care of his obligation and hasn't done it. You have a strange notion of how a 'good guy' acts.

It is true one cannot go to Canada after a DUI conviction no matter how long ago it was, unless they apply for and receive a waiver. The part about handcuffs is overkill... They just would not allow you off the ship at a port of call.

If flying or driving they just tell you to go back immediately.

Actually, if you have a DUI and are booked on a cruise headed to Canada, chances are that you will be denied boarding. So, no Canadian ports in which you can stay onboard. They are serious about this. I had clients taking a family cruise and one of the daughters in law never told the family about her DUI arrest. She was denied boarding. The rest of the family went on the trip. Boy was she embarrassed! This was on a HAL ship out of Boston.

Heck, even George Bush had to apply for rehabilitation in order to enter Canada in his official capacity as President! https://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=82199&page=1

Rehabilitation is the best way, as it is permanent once approved. Can take a year or two to get approved. Trust me, I have done it.

Took like 18 months and I had to give letters of recommendation from two upstanding citizens, FBI rap sheet, and a few hundred bucks in fees. All this for some misdemeanor which happened in college when I was 20 (36 years ago) and is actually legal in Canada and a few of the better states in the US... The reason I did not qualify for a deemed rehabilitation was because there was two incidents from back then. One was juvenile and the courts destroyed all the records, but the FBI did not show any disposition, so I just got the rehabilitation rather than take the chance at the border.

I finally got a letter stating I am no longer inadmissible. Of course I was never denied entry in the first place but it was only a matter of time because they do check sometimes. It's kind of like getting a passport for a cruise... you don't have to have it, but it sure comes in handy if you ever need it.