2 Dads + 4 kids= 1 desperately needed family vacation...aboard Liberty of the Seas

About us: The title sums it up. We are Brian and Keith from Maui, Hawaii. We have 4 kids, including two kids currently in foster care. I’m worried about the documents needed for foster kids. We are a very busy family, with all of our kids playing two sports. My husband (Keith) has a busy private practice and I’m always busy as a special education advocate. If you can’t read between the lines, relaxation time is hard to come by.

We love to cruise because (in general) the kids are very entertained and we can get some much needed downtime. It also allows us intermittent bursts of family fun together.

Our kids are 7, 10, 12, 14. All have made their way through (or currently in) the foster care system. If you can’t tell, I’m quite passionate about helping kids in care. All have their issues but are great kids. One thing we are quite nervous about is one of our kids has PTSD and we are hoping the kids club staff will be able to work well with them. We contacted the Access department ahead of time and they’ve done the documentation.

We booked a Panoramic Ocean Suite for the 6 of us.

We are flying tonight (redeye from Maui to LA and then onto Houston). We will be staying at the Hyatt House near the Galleria on Saturday night. On Sunday, we plan to grab an Uber after breakfast and make our way to Galveston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You hooked me with the thread title! I hope this means you plan on doing a live or semi-live report. Sounds like you will have quite an adventure and I know many will want to follow along. In any case, enjoy your cruise and thanks for your dedication to helping kids!:halo:

About us: The title sums it up. We are Brian and Keith from Maui, Hawaii. We have 4 kids, including two kids currently in foster care. I’m worried about the documents needed for foster kids. We are a very busy family, with all of our kids playing two sports. My husband (Keith) has a busy private practice and I’m always busy as a special education advocate. If you can’t read between the lines, relaxation time is hard to come by.

We love to cruise because (in general) the kids are very entertained and we can get some much needed downtime. It also allows us intermittent bursts of family fun together.

Our kids are 7, 10, 12, 14. All have made their way through (or currently in) the foster care system. If you can’t tell, I’m quite passionate about helping kids in care. All have their issues but are great kids. One thing we are quite nervous about is one of our kids has PTSD and we are hoping the kids club staff will be able to work well with them. We contacted the Access department ahead of time and they’ve done the documentation.

We booked a Panoramic Ocean Suite for the 6 of us.

We are flying tonight (redeye from Maui to LA and then onto Houston). We will be staying at the Hyatt House near the Galleria on Saturday night. On Sunday, we plan to grab an Uber after breakfast and make our way to Galveston.

You said you were worried about documents needed for foster kids. Surely you checked with the Foster agency and RCCL as to what is required to take them on a cruise?

I hope to hear back from you as I will be traveling in December with my adopted daughter who has PTSD and a few other initials. Hopefully foster care helped you acquire all the right documents. We held off leaving the country while ours were still foster kids because of the expense of passports and knowing we were going to adopt. So glad we don't have to do that anymore. So great of you to take the kids instead of putting them in respite. Hopefully in the future you and your hubby will get a little alone vacation. Let us know all about it your family cruise.

As you are traveling so far, definitely get your paperwork in order for the kids. You will definitely need original birth certificates or passports. There has to be someone at the foster care agency that can advise you. I would also check with RC as to the cruise line’s rules and requirements. Get confirmation in writing - don’t just go on “someone told me.”

Have a wonderful cruise!

You said you were worried about documents needed for foster kids. Surely you checked with the Foster agency and RCCL as to what is required to take them on a cruise?

Yes. We cannot get passports for kids in foster care. We have to do closed loop cruises and rely on notarized letters and birth certificates....makes me nervous. I’m sure it will all be fine!

I hope to hear back from you as I will be traveling in December with my adopted daughter who has PTSD and a few other initials. Hopefully foster care helped you acquire all the right documents. We held off leaving the country while ours were still foster kids because of the expense of passports and knowing we were going to adopt. So glad we don't have to do that anymore. So great of you to take the kids instead of putting them in respite. Hopefully in the future you and your hubby will get a little alone vacation. Let us know all about it your family cruise.

I will report back. The staff is apparently trained for autism. Trauma informed care isn’t that much different. Hopefully it’s smooth sailing in the kids club!

As you are traveling so far, definitely get your paperwork in order for the kids. You will definitely need original birth certificates or passports. There has to be someone at the foster care agency that can advise you. I would also check with RC as to the cruise line’s rules and requirements. Get confirmation in writing - don’t just go on “someone told me.”

Have a wonderful cruise!

We did. Multiple times. RC approved our letter before we signed and notarized.

You hooked me with the thread title! I hope this means you plan on doing a live or semi-live report. Sounds like you will have quite an adventure and I know many will want to follow along. In any case, enjoy your cruise and thanks for your dedication to helping kids!:halo:

I’m going to try to do a semi-live report. Stay tuned!

Hope you have an awesome time! Internet access on Liberty is torture - like finger nails on a chalkboard torture - uploading pictures is the worst!

I haven’t been on Oasis class ships yet but we went on Liberty last year with our kids (6.5/10.5) and they loved it and so did we! It was the perfect size for us to all have a little freedom on board with plenty to do...and we prefer western Caribbean so the ports were good too!

I love hearing stories of foster kids being given good homes - you are doing a great thing for them!

We made it to LA. AA moved our seats on us, so we’d all be sitting together. Unfortunately we were at the back of the bus. Our child with PTSD found the loud noises in the back a little overwhelming. A movie and some snacks helped get her calmed down. I have a few scratch marks on my arm to commemorate the flight!