Princess Balcony Lights - Annoying Neighbors

Thrak

I'm one of those passengers who have had neighbours who have left their light on all week. Very annoying because it greatly impacts what you can see off in the distance at night, ie other ships, islands and stars. I have never thought to ask the cabin steward to turn the light off. Most novices likely don't even realize there is a switch. For those who insist on leaving the light on all night it's your balcony to do with it as you please. Your pleasure may be derived from pissing off your neighbors and forms part of your cruise experience. So be it.

Have you ever had a neighboring cabin leave the outside balcony light on all the time? Does it annoy you? We have sailed in balcony cabins where the people next door just left the outside balcony light on for the entire cruise. I don't even know if they were aware that it could be turned off as the switches are usually pretty much hidden behind the curtain.

Am I the only one annoyed by this? I would love it if the stewards were required to make sure this light was turned off when they make up the cabin in the morning. It might well alleviate the problem as cabin occupants would have to find the switch in order to turn the light on and then at least one would know they were aware there actually is a switch and the light isn't just always on "automagically". I seriously think some folks don't know the thing can be turned off. It's pretty annoying to try to enjoy your balcony late at night when it's all lit up from the light on the neighboring balcony.

I did once ask my steward if he would please turn off the balcony light next door as it had been on for days. He turned it off and it was never on again for the rest of the cruise which tells me the folks next door had probably just been "putting up with" having a light on all the time out on their balcony. Maybe I'm just being crabby but this seems to happen a lot. Sometimes one can look out along the side of the ship and see numerous balcony lights on in the middle of the night.

I don't like it either but you would think they would see the light, those curtains have peek through spots, for lack of a better term. I try not to annoy my neighbors! :)Not a control freak and do not make a big issue out of it just try to be considerate to others!

So you will not mind if I leave the TV on and loud all the time whether I am in the cabin or not. Or maybe play my bagpipe music CDs loud all the time also.

I also read outside on the balcony at night. However, I have a Kindle w an internal light in it so it will not bother anyone.

DON

Only if you play the bagpipe CD while reading the kindle with the light on ! No loud TV! :)

Yes, I may have been an intentional offender, but I never left the light on all night. After I'm done with the evening I like to sit out on the balcony and may have had the light on. I did clue in though, as I stay up late, that others are asleep and my light could be disturbing. After that realization I left the light on just long enough to get my chair situated then turned it off.

You have every right to use your balcony even at night! :)Believe OP is talking about people that just leave it on all night! Which may be unintentional.

AFter reading this thread I will definitely be packing my sleep mask. Agree with most everything said except the post about "Its my light and my balcony and I will leave it on all night if I want" . To be that rude I can only hope I am never your neighbour or dinnermate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree ... so frustrating to have the light left on. But, what most surprises is me is how much we are all annoyed by this (we’ve experienced it for years!) but this is the first time I’ve ever read about the issue on Cruise Critic. Must be that we forget about these kinds of things by the time we get home!

We have been getting balcony cabins for the pass 5 to 7 years. I like having the large view to look out at. We very rarely use the balcony, too hot most of the time. We do walk out to look now and then. So as crazy as this might seem, I did not realize that there is a light switch that can be turned off. I would hope that my neighbors would tell me.

We live in a condo part of the year. When we got new neighbors, after greeting them, I told them to please let me know if they hear us. Being kind to people is a number one on my list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been getting balcony cabins for the pass 5 to 7 years. I like having the large view to look out at. We very rarely use the balcony, too hot most of the time. We do walk out to look now and then. So as crazy as this might seem, I did not realize that there is a light switch that can be turned off. I would hope that my neighbors would tell me.

We live in a condo part of the year. When we got new neighbors, after greeting them, I told them to please let me know if they hear us. Being kind to people is a number one on my list.

How wonderfully refreshing to read this post. Personally, I don't think being kind is given enough thought in recent times. It makes a person feel good when one is able to perform a kind gesture no matter how small.

• Thanks 1

It doesn't bother us as we close the curtains at night while sleeping. However, saying that, we always get balcony cabins and most times don't even realize if the light is on or not. I don't tbink it is people being rude just not knowing. We don't turn it on ourselves and for a long time did not even realize there was a switch to turn the light on. I have gone out there some nights and if the light were on would probably think it is normal for it to be on and not think twice about it. The switch is hidden behind the curtain. I would hope that if my light was annoying my neighbour he/she would let me know so I could fix it rather than let it fester.

We usually have a balcony cabin on an upper deck near the bow of the ship. We were told on several cruises that we MUST turn our balcony light off at night because it reflects onto the bridge. We didn't dare turn our balcony light on after a knock on

our door by security to turn the light off.

I am mildly claustrophobic and have to have the curtains open. And yes, neighbor's balcony lights do bother me, but I've never asked them to turn them off. It never occurred to me that they might not know they could turn them off.

Have you ever had a neighboring cabin leave the outside balcony light on all the time? Does it annoy you? We have sailed in balcony cabins where the people next door just left the outside balcony light on for the entire cruise. I don't even know if they were aware that it could be turned off as the switches are usually pretty much hidden behind the curtain.

Hi Thrak,

I for one never knew there was a switch for the outside lights when I have sailed in a balcony, So I think your theory might be spot on. I will have to search further when i sail next .. :) I suppose asking the steward for help would be my next thought.

cheers.

and happy cruising to you!

I could have sworn I started a thread on the same topic...anyway...I want to be a good neighbor and do try to expect others to do the same. However, as previous said, that dang switch is so hidden in the draperies, that you need to do a through search for it, and IF you don't know it shuts off is another issue, who knows, sometimes it could be one of those "light sensitive" on/off things, or if you totally shut the drapes and don't give it another thought. We live in a large city, plenty of distractions to eliminate the pure unobstructed view of the night skies. The only time we can see it, is from our balcony. We have a nice glass of wine, listen to the waves and sit there watching the stars and see if we can spot the space station. The biggest issue is that the "cover" of the fixture allows for the light to reflect off of the white dividers and "bounce" off dividers on either side. IF they could make a cover that directly "downlights" onto the single balcony, I don't think it would be an intrusion to the neighbors. I also find when wanting to sit on my balcony at night, the far bedside light gives off more than enough light, then shut half the curtain.

To be thoughtful to your neighbors, how “controlling”? If you’re using your balcony and want the light on of course you should do so. But if you’re fast asleep, why would it bother you if your neighbors preferred it off? I guess on my upcoming cruise I’ll be playing my disco music full blast at 1 am and having a dance party of one on my aft balcony...woo hoo!! My balcony, right?

Edited by SuzyL
Emojis didn’t translate

I wonder how bright the balcony light is?

Most of my balcony experience has been on RCI and NCL and mostly a regular balcony, sometimes an aft or a premium. The lights don't appear bright enough to read.

Maybe it's different on Princess?

To be thoughtful to your neighbors, how “controlling”? If you’re using your balcony and want the light on of course you should do so. But if you’re fast asleep, why would it bother you if your neighbors preferred it off? I guess on my upcoming cruise I’ll be playing my disco music full blast at 1 am and having a dance party of one on my aft balcony...woo hoo!! My balcony, right?

I guess we should poll everyone on the ship before we leave dock to see how we can make THEIR cruise more enjoyable according to your logic.....I am not responsible for your happiness.....go ahead and rock away....I know security would not have a problem telling you to turn it down but a balcony light is a bit much to get in balcony wars over.....:rolleyes:

How wonderfully refreshing to read this post. Personally, I don't think being kind is given enough thought in recent times. It makes a person feel good when one is able to perform a kind gesture no matter how small.

Thank you very much. I try to do at least three kind things a day to strangers (if I am out of the house) each day. Like opening a door, holding a door. Or letting some one go a head of me in line. It doesn't take much to be kind.

• Like 1

I guess we should poll everyone on the ship before we leave dock to see how we can make THEIR cruise more enjoyable according to your logic.....I am not responsible for your happiness.....go ahead and rock away....I know security would not have a problem telling you to turn it down but a balcony light is a bit much to get in balcony wars over.....:rolleyes:

Well, that wasn’t the logic I was using, actually. I meant to state that it seems rather simple to be cognizant that you have neighbors and to be polite. I am not in a “balcony war”. Perhaps I’m in a personal war with the world who seems to think that being respectful of others is passé these days. :(

• Like 1

Well, that wasn’t the logic I was using, actually. I meant to state that it seems rather simple to be cognizant that you have neighbors and to be polite. I am not in a “balcony war”. Perhaps I’m in a personal war with the world who seems to think that being respectful of others is passé these days. :(

If someone having a little balcony light on during a cruise makes you feel disrespected than there is nothing I can do about your self-esteem...:halo: