Solo booking, which perk (obc,drink pkg,internet,gratuities) is best value?

BirdOnAWire79

First time cruiser here, about to book a solo trip.

Promo offers me 2 perks, but unsure what is best for me.

Trying to decide if I should get the drink pkg or the internet pkg.

OBC - was told by celebrity CS that I would receive 2 OBC so it looks like a good deal to have $300 to spend by myself. The extra cost to get 2 perks is covered with the $300 value of the credit, so I will definitely get this.

Unlimited Internet pkg- would like some connectivity, but unlimited is not imperative. It’s only 4 nights to the Bahamas, stop in Key West, so I can use my own data there.

Classic Drink pkg - I don´t really drink much. I´ll have one glass of wine with dinner, and sometimes a digestif, a lot of water all day, tea and a cup or two of coffee (I prefer premium coffee). Might indulge in a cocktail once or twice, but again, nothing extravagant. CS advised bottled water is part of this package (have read that they are cartons now, fine with me).

If I don´t get the drink package, I can always use the $300 credit for such drinks. But never having been on a cruise, I am unsure of what the retail price is for water, coffee, glass of wine, martini. Don´’t want to spend all my credit on drinks, when I could have used that for something else, like a massage or an excursion.

Thank you for your patience with a newbie!:o:o

I'm not sure how long your cruise is but drinks -coffee, waters, wine, cocktails- (even if you're not a big drinker) will add up quicker than you think and probably use up most of your shipboard credit especially if it's longer than 7 days. Plus you'll always have to sign for whatever you want instead of just handing them your sea pass card. I would definitely get the drink package.

OBC - was told by celebrity CS that I would receive 2 OBC so it looks like a good deal to have $300 to spend by myself. The extra cost to get 2 perks is covered with the $300 value of the credit, so I will definitely get this.

Unlimited Internet pkg- would like some connectivity, but unlimited is not imperative. It’s only 4 nights to the Bahamas, stop in Key West, so I can use my own data there.

Classic Drink pkg - I don´t really drink much. I´ll have one glass of wine with dinner, and sometimes a digestif, a lot of water all day, tea and a cup or two of coffee (I prefer premium coffee). Might indulge in a cocktail once or twice, but again, nothing extravagant. CS advised bottled water is part of this package (have read that they are cartons now, fine with me).

If I don´t get the drink package, I can always use the $300 credit for such drinks. But never having been on a cruise, I am unsure of what the retail price is for water, coffee, glass of wine, martini. Don´’t want to spend all my credit on drinks, when I could have used that for something else, like a massage or an excursion.

Even though you don't drink that much, the beverage package includes beverages without alcohol. Definitely the OBC, as you've already determined and the beverage package would be my choice. You will probably still spend more on the occasional glass of wine, coffee, juice, waters than you would on the gratuities. Enjoy your cruise.

I too travel solo. The OBC of $300 is a nice one and can more than cover your tips.

As to the second perk, I'm not a drinker and do use WiFi so that would be my #2 recommendation. Also, the short time use charges for WiFi are pretty nasty so might make the unlimited package more attractive. On the other hand, if it's a port intensive itinerary you might have good Data coverage thru your phone provider and really not need Celebrity's wifi.

Basically, if more than 2 drinks/day the drinks package might be best; if wifi more than 2 hours/day unlimited wifi could be useful.

have a great trip!

The OBC is like a credit to your onboard account and as you spend the balance drops. You did not mention gratuties. Unless you prepaid them they will be charged to your onboard account reducing the amount you have. If you are in a veranda the gratuties are &14pp per day. In your case $56 will be charged.

A speciality coffee/tea is in the $5 range, a glass of wine $8 and up, Martini at the Martini bar $12.50 not sure about water but would guess $2-3 for a small bottle. All of these will also have a 18% gratutity automatically added.

Hope you have a great time!

I agree with the above posters, get the drink package. It covers all drinks, not just alcohol, and things like bottled water and specialty coffees and fresh squeezed juice do add up. Then figure in a cocktail, a glass of wine and an after dinner drink. I think you'll find it is more than you expect. Plus, we love the freedom of no checks to sign, and the chance to try some drinks or glasses of wine we would not if we were paying by the drink (I discovered mudslides this way!). It has an elegant feel to it, similar to the feeling of trying different foods on a cruise without thinking about a bill.

I'd get the drink package. You said you like tea? The Forte tea at the café is $5! I drink a lot of water on a cruise and it's nice to have a cold water in your fridge when you come back to your cabin or the middle of the night. Pick one up each time you pass a bar and you'll have plenty. If you drink soda, that's included. The café coffee is better than room service or the buffet, too. You can get any of the frozen drinks without alcohol. Order a wine or drink you've never tried. If you don't like it, get something else. It's a GREAT time to try stuff! Plus the fresh OJ at breakfast... the list goes on!

Last thought... we got our first drink package when traveling with family. I wanted to avoid the "I'll get this round, you get the next" thing. We avoided all of that by having a drink package. Traveling alone you might find yourself sharing a drink with new friends... you can avoid that, too, by having your own drink package.

As for internet... in any port watch to see where the crew goes to connect. They know the best places and the passwords!

The OP indicated the itinerary is 4 Nights. The beverage package for sure. As indicated by others, the additional items you could enjoy on board will make your trip that much more pleasant. Your OBC should look after your gratuities and some internet use on board depending on how “connected” you want to be.

Since you classify yourself as a “newbie” why not take your time to explore what the ship has to offer. That includes some items on the bar menus that you otherwise might miss, even if you are not a big drinker, and non alcoholic items you might otherwise pass up.

Have a Wonderful trip.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38

First time cruiser here, It’s only 4 nights to the Bahamas, stop in Key West, so I can use my own data there.

Thank you for your patience with a newbie!:o[emoji5]

$300.00 OBC

It’s the same OBC given to two people in the same cabin on a 14, 28 night or longer cruise. This is only a 4 night cruise.

I don’t even understand the other recommendations, especially if you don’t drink that much. You can still use some of your OBC to purchase drinks, such as specialty coffees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Jade13

$300.00 OBC

It’s the same OBC given to two people in the same cabin on a 14, 28 night or longer cruise. This is only a 4 night cruise.

I don’t even understand the other recommendations, especially if you don’t drink that much. You can still use some of your OBC to purchase drinks, such as specialty coffees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Probably because you missed the part stating that her offer was with two perks. There was never question about taking the $300 OBC credit as the first perk. The question was concerning the second perk. It is not an option to take the same perk twice, therefore what would be the best option for the second perk.

My recommendation would be the Classic Drink Package mostly due to the non alcoholic portion use. Unless you can get a significantly reduced price without any perks. ($500 less total)

The OBC is like a credit to your onboard account and as you spend the balance drops. You did not mention gratuties. Unless you prepaid them they will be charged to your onboard account reducing the amount you have. If you are in a veranda the gratuties are &14pp per day. In your case $56 will be charged.

A speciality coffee/tea is in the $5 range, a glass of wine $8 and up, Martini at the Martini bar $12.50 not sure about water but would guess $2-3 for a small bottle. All of these will also have a 18% gratutity automatically added.

Hope you have a great time!

Definitely the $300 OBC. Gratuities are $14.50 so $58 will be charged against your account - leaving a remainder of $242 of the OBC to spend or lose - since it is non-refundable. Suggest you use much of the remainder on shore excursions and specialty restaurants - you can even use the OBC online to purchase shore excursions and book specialty restaurants prior to boarding.

Classic Beverage Package would be my choice for the 2nd perk. Even though you normally do not drink that much alcohol, you will be on vacation and with the free drinks will probably tend to drink a little more frequently - afternoon cocktail, probably 2 glasses of wine with dinner instead of 1 (hey, try one type with your appetizer and another with your entree) and maybe an after dinner liquor with your cappuccino and dessert. And the package gives you a chance to try different drinks for free - try a crazy new cocktail and if you don't like it, discard it and order a new one!

And the non-alcoholic drinks can add up quickly - two lattes during the day and a cappuccino in the evening = $17.70 including the 18% gratuity. Plus you have the freedom of not worrying about the cost - just hand them the card and the drink is yours!

Have a wonderful cruise.

Probably because you missed the part stating that her offer was with two perks. There was never question about taking the $300 OBC credit as the first perk. The question was concerning the second perk. It is not an option to take the same perk twice, therefore what would be the best option for the second perk.

My recommendation would be the Classic Drink Package mostly due to the non alcoholic portion use. Unless you can get a significantly reduced price without any perks. ($500 less total)

When I booked my upcoming cruise as a solo, I weighed taking the two perks against the senior citizen discount. The senior discount won out. I don't drink that much and as Elite get three free drinks per day - enough for me, so won't pay for drink package. My senior discount was $800, so a no-brainer taking that over the perks.

When I booked my upcoming cruise as a solo' date=' I weighed taking the two perks against the senior citizen discount. The senior discount won out. I don't drink that much and as Elite get three free drinks per day - enough for me, so won't pay for drink package. My senior discount was $800, so a no-brainer taking that over the perks.[/quote']

I do not know if that is a typical discount for a solo senior discount, but it was a good one compared to two perks, but seems like a good one. Congratulations.