Is the 90 day rule back for shareholder benefit?

pompeii

I do have the required shares, just wondering about the giveth then taketh away.

There is alot of weird stuff going on with the entire Princess system.

I had the same thing happen last month for our CB cruise.

I just sent it in again.

I am surprised at all these comments of it being applied to any cruise over the 90 days.

I have never been able to do that.

There is alot of weird stuff going on with the entire Princess system.

I had the same thing happen last month for our CB cruise.

I just sent it in again.

I am surprised at all these comments of it being applied to any cruise over the 90 days.

I have never been able to do that.

They dropped the 90 day requirement subsequent to the requirement that Princess excursions be prepaid.

Note: I recently submitted for upcoming three cruises, all well outside the 90 days, and got the SOBC for the first two. The last cruise did not yet have excursions available for booking. When they came available I resubmitted and immediately got the SOBC.

Thanks for posting this, but also sorry they pulled your SOBC. We have a July 2019 sailing, which we've had the SOBC for over a year now, and a Jan 2020 sailing, which we just got the SOBC approved for last week. Just checked and they are still both present, but we will definitely keep an eye on it.

We also have our July 2019 excursions already booked which consumed both our SOBC as well as military OBC. Well, it's still there, but it's been flagged I assume to pay for our prebooked excursions once we start taking them.

As a side note we just checked and can't find a reference to the Princess shareholder benefits form anywhere on the official Princess.com website. Anyone know where it went?

I do have the required shares, just wondering about the giveth then taketh away.

We all know that, technically, the SOBC is extended a year at a time at the formal

Shareholders' Meeting. And has been that way ..."forever".

Quoting from the current SOBC rules:

"The benefit is applicable on sailings through July 31, 2019…"

My guess is that the worker-bees posted your SOBC thinking "We know they're

going to renew the benie", and a by-the-book boss called them up short on it

with a "You can't post that yet".

As for the explanation on the phone? It sure sounds like someone not in the know

came up with a plausible explanation on the spot.

We all know that if you call Princess three times each time getting a different person and ask the same question, you will get three different answers.

I could imagine the uproar and disgust if Carnival even hinted at not renewing the SOBC. I do appreciate that the benefit and dividend have to be approved each year by the majority of stockholders as is standard for a lot of public corporations.

So far I have not had a problem but then I have never requested the SOBC more than 6 months in advance.

As a side note we just checked and can't find a reference to the Princess shareholder benefits form anywhere on the official Princess.com website. Anyone know where it went?

It's not on the Princess website. The benefit is from the Carnival Corporation (which owns Princess) and applies to all brands under the Carnival umbrella. Here's the link for you: http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

It's not on the Princess website. The benefit is from the Carnival Corporation (which owns Princess) and applies to all brands under the Carnival umbrella. Here's the link for you: http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Thanks! That's the only link we found today too. I guess the confusion for us came as we continue to use blank copies of the form Princess used to require in 2016 to submit a request for SOBC, and the folks at Princess have never had an issue accepting them, to include the request we faxed in last week.

The helpful team in the Australian Princess office have regressed and reintroduced the 90 day requirement as well as no longer accepting email requests.

Good to see progress going backwards....

Back to mail or fax :( was good for the few years it lasted I guess?

That's another interesting point. I did refare the July 2019 cruise yesterday morning, and later yesterday is when I noticed the OBC was gone. It hadn't been taken off the Jan 2020 cruise, but I hadn't refared that one. The rep actually went in and took it off the Jan 2020 cruise when I called, citing the 90 day rule.

I think I'll just resend the shareholder request tomorrow morning when I get to work and see what happens. Does anyone have a link to the 2019 request form?

There you now have the full explanation. One OBC disappeared when you refared and the other removed when you brought it to the attention of someone not in the department that issues the OBC.

I suspect it might have more to do with people buying the stock, applying it to booked cruises, then selling. EM

Hmmm if a share holder owns the stock when booking it seems to us that the share holder OBC is legit :p

now let us say that the stock is going down why should a share holder hold & loose money just because of a 90 day what ever made up ruling ? When the board of directors approved the share holder benefit it makes NO mention of holding the stock to satisfy any made up rule later implied :confused:

Seems to vary. I have two cruises coming up one on Dec 7th and one on Dec 21st.

At about 105 days out from the first cruise, I e-mailed requesting my OBC for BOTH cruises in the same letter (I tend not to use the form but include the information in the text of the e-mail.

Received reply saying they would hold letter on file but would not credit OBC until 90 days from departure.

THEN

90 days from first cruise I received credit for the first cruise

BUT

Then received credit for the second cruise two days later (102 days before sailing)

Not that it is entirely relevant to this thread,but although I am in a suite and, am supposed to have priority booking for shore excursions, I was only able to get on the wait list for a tour on the first cruise and at 60 days before departure I am still waitlisted!!!

Something tells me Princess is reading this thread.

Why?

Well although I fully accepted, in my later reply, Geoherb’s observation that the suite priority benefit is for onboard excursion reservations, and not pre-booked excursion reservations, just 12 hours after posting my rely acknowledging Geoherb’s point, I received an e-mail from Princess confirming my excursion booking!

May just be co-incidence, but on the other hand may just be an indication that Princess are reading this thread!

Returning to main theme. I am finding it strange that people are getting their SOBC approved for next autumn’s cruises when the current situation is that the shareholder’s benefit is only officially confirmed for cruises up to July 2019. For sure we all know that it will soon be extended out to 2020, but when other are having to live with the 90 day rule it does seem that staff at Princess are far from consistent.

Something tells me Princess is reading this thread.

Why?

Well although I fully accepted, in my later reply, Geoherb’s observation that the suite priority benefit is for onboard excursion reservations, and not pre-booked excursion reservations, just 12 hours after posting my rely acknowledging Geoherb’s point, I received an e-mail from Princess confirming my excursion booking!

May just be co-incidence, but on the other hand may just be an indication that Princess are reading this thread!

Returning to main theme. I am finding it strange that people are getting their SOBC approved for next autumn’s cruises when the current situation is that the shareholder’s benefit is only officially confirmed for cruises up to July 2019. For sure we all know that it will soon be extended out to 2020, but when other are having to live with the 90 day rule it does seem that staff at Princess are far from consistent.

If they are, they should know about the common dig about the knowledge of their customer service folks:

"If you have a question, call several times and average the answers". :o

People buy/sell stock all the time.

Why should Princess hedge on the shareholder OBC perk for 4 months, 6 months, or more than 1 year ahead of time?

I see nothing wrong with having a 3 month or less timeframe to submit.

We are darn lucky to have it in the first place and that its renewed year after year.

I had no issue with the 90 day rule. It was only changed due to the change in Princess policy regarding excursions. I'm amazed that I can apply it to cruises a year out bu as long as they allow me to do so I will continue. I only have the required 100 shares and have zero intention of selling it as long as we are able to cruise.

It was only changed due to the change in Princess policy regarding excursions.

The change is reflected on the Benefit Sheet at CCL. This would lead me to think that the change came from CCL and thereby allowed use of the SOBC for excursions across all of the CCL lines.

The role that Princess played in the change remains untold.

But Princess could, at the very least, only apply the benefit to sailings that fall within the timeframe of each annual annoumcement

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

True, but after the firestorm surrounding the issue of Alaskan excursions I am thinking this would be unlikely.

And, a quick phone call from Investor Relations at CCL would likely change any unilateral action that Princess would take.

The change is reflected on the Benefit Sheet at CCL. This would lead me to think that the change came from CCL and thereby allowed use of the SOBC across all of the CCL lines.

The role that Princess played in the change remains untold.

Did I misunderstand you or are you suggesting we can use SOBC on other Carnival cruise lines to include HAL to pre-book excursions and other amenities prior to embarkation? That would be great news if it was true!! However, we have yet to hear that new perk being offered by HAL yet?

True, but after the firestorm surrounding the issue of Alaskan excursions I am thinking this would be unlikely.

And, a quick phone call from Investor Relations at CCL would likely change any unilateral action that Princess would take.

Do they work out of their house? If you call them back will you get a different answer? :cool:

Do they work out of their house? If you call them back will you get a different answer? :cool:

This would be internal communication within the CCL structure. No shareholder would be involved other than to complain to Investor Relations.

Did I misunderstand you or are you suggesting we can use SOBC on other Carnival cruise lines to include HAL to pre-book excursions and other amenities prior to embarkation? That would be great news if it was true!! However, we have yet to hear that new perk being offered by HAL yet?

The SOBC benefit is available on all cruise lines owned by Carnival Corporation, including HAL. Don't know if it can be used to pre-book excursions on other cruise lines besides Princess.

The SOBC benefit is available on all cruise lines owned by Carnival Corporation, including HAL. Don't know if it can be used to pre-book excursions on other cruise lines besides Princess.

That's what I figured and thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding. We've been tapping into that SOBC piggy bank for a few years now. But, the only Carnival cruise line we're aware of as well that lets you use the SOBC for pre-booking excursions is Princess. Oceania, a NCL cruise line, is going to allow their passengers to use it starting May 19, 2019 and all of the RCL cruise lines also get to use it. Who knows maybe one day HAL will allow it as well.