NCL is heartless!!!!!!!!!!!

Coby25

Yes...NCL has great ships!! But Corporate NCL has NO People skills!!! I had a cruise booked for mid October. Three weeks ago, I found out I have breast cancer and need treatment immediately!!!!!! Immediately, we contacted NCL, explained the situation and asked if we can apply the money paid for this cruise to reschedule one for sometime next year!!! We did not ask for a refund! We also mentioned that we have taken cruises with NCL in the past. We were told to fill out a form (email) and submit it for their review. Their response was basically telling us that since this request is within 30 days of sailing...too bad...they cant help us!!!!! And how ironic it is that we are in Breast Cancer Awareness Month!!! NCL may be a business but they are completely and absolutely heartless!! Cruel.

It would have been great for them to do something and I understand your disappointment. Please don’t get too down by the responses you’re going to get to this because they may be a little rude.

All that said, this is *exactly* why everyone should always get the insurance. Consider it a part of the vacation budget because nothing sucks quite so bad as missing out on a vacation (especially because of cancer!) *and* missing out on the money you spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone is in your corner. My mother was a breast cancer survivor. A cruise is the last thing you should be concerned about. Take care of yourself first. It sucks you will lose the money since final payment was made. Life is more important than a cruise or money spent on a cruise.

Hopefully they will review the form in a timely manner to give you some peace of mind. Meanwhile if you have insurance file a claim. Call your credit card company. They may have some coverage or a solution, but please take a moment to catch your breath.

Right now you need to concentrate on letting go of life’s frustrations and deal with your diagnosis. Best wishes.

Yes...NCL has great ships!! But Corporate NCL has NO People skills!!! I had a cruise booked for mid October. Three weeks ago, I found out I have breast cancer and need treatment immediately!!!!!! Immediately, we contacted NCL, explained the situation and asked if we can apply the money paid for this cruise to reschedule one for sometime next year!!! We did not ask for a refund! We also mentioned that we have taken cruises with NCL in the past. We were told to fill out a form (email) and submit it for their review. Their response was basically telling us that since this request is within 30 days of sailing...too bad...they cant help us!!!!! And how ironic it is that we are in Breast Cancer Awareness Month!!! NCL may be a business but they are completely and absolutely heartless!! Cruel.

I wish you all the best with your upcoming treatment.

I am assuming you did not buy insurance but you should check with your credit card used to pay for cruise, perhaps you have insurance on it.

We recently had a terrible experience . My FIL died and we had to get home from Rome ASAP. Just put all the paperwork into AIG. We’re been on dozens of cruises and always took insurance but never needed it. I hope it pays the thousands of dollars associated with the cruise cancellation and redoing the air. The forms were daunting and the proof they wanted was voluminous. I think I sent them almost 30 pages of stuff. They made us sign a release of records for a dead man! It will all be worth it if they pay!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I doubt OP has insurance or she wouldn't have expected anything from NCL.

I'm a breast cancer survivor myself...I had to cancel once but insurance covered it.

Insurance isn't expensive; I get it for every trip "just in case".

Best of luck with your treatment.

Unfortunately business by there very definition are heartless and greedy. It is the business purpose to make money for the shareholders. That being said it's a shame that there can not be some consideration given to your situation. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery and the best in the future.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry for what you are going through however, I always spend the extra money for insurance for the unexpected to happen.

I don't like spending the extra money but I want to be fully covered if something does happen.

I would be ticked off if the cruise line made exceptions for people that don't purchase insurance. What the heck is it for then and why am I spending extra money for it, if they will make exceptions for those that don't?

Thanks everyone for your feedback!! Ironically, I always purchased insurance but didn't do it this time. Believe me, I know where my priorities are and where to direct my energy. I just needed to vent!!! Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for your feedback!! Ironically, I always purchased insurance but didn't do it this time. Believe me, I know where my priorities are and where to direct my energy. I just needed to vent!!! Thanks again!
You might want to think about joining the Breast Cancer Organization Website - especially the message boards. https://community.breastcancer.org

I was also diagnoised late last year and this site has given me so much information, advice, and support. It is truly people going through or who have gone through what you will experience.

Take care.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I’m really sorry for your situation and wish you the best of luck. From their perspective, if they paid out the insurance benefit for people who didn’t pay a premium, no one would purchase the cruise insurance. So sorry this happened and hope you get better soon and can take a vacation soon.

You might want to escalate up the management chain. You can find NCL email contacts and

suggestions for posing your request in a way that might achieve results at the consumer help website elliott.org. I hope everything works out for you.

Last year I had to cancel a land vacation two weeks prior because my mother was terminally diagnosed with six weeks to live. Luckily my flights were on Southwest and I received a credit. But I did lose a little due to my choice not to insure. I just had to accept the loss.

There are a million reasons out of our control that can cause us to cancel. Illness, death, extreme weather, deployment, loss of job, etc. NCL's contract is clear. I used to never take insurance, now I am older and wiser. In fact, I found myself in South Carolina last month when Florence was days away from shore. I was glad I had insured my fight when I booked it. I look at each trip individually and ask myself if I could afford to take the loss if I had to cancel last minute for any reason.

I am so sorry about your illness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wishing you an easy time with your treatment and a full recovery.[emoji1317].

I’m sorry for your condition. I know a number of survivors so there is hope.

That said, if you had the foresight to purchase insurance previously and didn’t this time, then you know it is not the cruise line’s issue. It is your issue. Norwegian is not heartless just because this is the one time you didn’t plan for contingencies.

Don’t escalate - it’s not their problem. It was your decision to not purchase insurance this time, so stop expecting a company that provided optional insurance to insure you after the fact.

About that Travel Insurance don't expect to get anything soon. We were on Rhapsody of the Seas last November. We like to take the cruise right after Thanksgiving. We boarded Sunday and that night my DH was not feeling well. Monday at Key West was fine, but that night he again felt unwell--chest pains. Tuesday went to the ships Doctor, and they put right to bed. They didn't tell him, but told me he had a heart ache. He figured out, the took him off the ship in Cozumel. They have a small new hospital for cruise passengers, since so many ships stop there. By the way, it was fantastic. Great doctors and really great patient services (should call it spouse services). We were there until Saturday and flew home Sunday. We were lucky, 3 arteries were 90% blocked.

Before Travel Insurance kicks in, your regular insurance pays. They kept delaying, and denying for 7-8 months. Finally paid their share.

Now he had sent all the forms in to the Travel Insurance, but they said they were not complete, sent all new forms and wanted us to tape the receipts to one of their forms, we had twenty pages of receipts. We are still waiting, it is not 8 Oct and that cruise was last November. We still would never go without getting trip insurance. And we thought it was for me.

Dear Coby, Very sorry to hear about your forthcoming battle.

For what it’s worth, in my opinion you should go on social networks, and tell your story, and how NCL cares about customers in crisis, many years ago Costa dumped us on the quayside in Dubai, and totally ignored passengers in the Ash cloud.

With the help of newspapers, I was fully refunded with accommodation and expenses, no ABTA, holiday network wanted to know, including this one.

The power of the press and social media, is the only way to expose these corporate money, before compassion outfits, in truth your application was possibly seen by some lower grade that possibly thinks saving $ is a good thing.

Stay strong