NCL is heartless!!!!!!!!!!!

Coby25

Dear Coby, Very sorry to hear about your forthcoming battle.

For what it’s worth, in my opinion you should go on social networks, and tell your story, and how NCL cares about customers in crisis, many years ago Costa dumped us on the quayside in Dubai, and totally ignored passengers in the Ash cloud.

With the help of newspapers, I was fully refunded with accommodation and expenses, no ABTA, holiday network wanted to know, including this one.

The power of the press and social media, is the only way to expose these corporate money, before compassion outfits, in truth your application was possibly seen by some lower grade that possibly thinks saving $ is a good thing.

Stay strong

Sure that’s a great idea go on social media and whine loud enough until you get your way even though you shouldnt I don’t want to sound cold but what about every other sad story out there, what about the person who’s wife died, son broke his arm, husband was in a car crash who did not buy insurance ? Should they all yell loud enough and get compensated How about someone like me or the other who spends hundreds of dollars on insurance ? Why bother if you’re going to be reimbursed anyway?

Yup that’s the American way now, doesn’t matter right or wrong anymore or if you deserve it or it but how much you shame someone on social media and they will probably get compensated in some way but seriously you do not see how wrong that is ?

Sure that’s a great idea go on social media and whine loud enough until you get your way even though you shouldnt I don’t want to sound cold but what about every other sad story out there, what about the person who’s wife died, son broke his arm, husband was in a car crash who did not buy insurance ? Should they all yell loud enough and get compensated How about someone like me or the other who spends hundreds of dollars on insurance ? Why bother if you’re going to be reimbursed anyway?

Yup that’s the American way now, doesn’t matter right or wrong anymore or if you deserve it or it but how much you shame someone on social media and they will probably get compensated in some way but seriously you do not see how wrong that is ?

Thank you for stating what I was thinking!

Dear Coby, Very sorry to hear about your forthcoming battle.

For what it’s worth, in my opinion you should go on social networks, and tell your story, and how NCL cares about customers in crisis, many years ago Costa dumped us on the quayside in Dubai, and totally ignored passengers in the Ash cloud.

With the help of newspapers, I was fully refunded with accommodation and expenses, no ABTA, holiday network wanted to know, including this one.

The power of the press and social media, is the only way to expose these corporate money, before compassion outfits, in truth your application was possibly seen by some lower grade that possibly thinks saving $ is a good thing.

Stay strong

I can’t believe that people advocate that it is right to extort money from companies. Extort “Obtaining something by force, threats, or other unfair means”.

Unfortunately, most of the cruise industry works this way, with no consideration after final payment. It would be nice if they would give you a credit toward a future cruise (a reasonable request on your part, considering!) But I haven't seen that happen.

The usual reason given is that space on a cruise ship is something that expires - if they can't sell the cabin then they lose the revenue. But I think with modern booking systems today they could be more compassionate and have some kind of policy to credit a future cruise, even if on a percentage basis, if the cabin can be sold by the sail date.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!! Ironically, I always purchased insurance but didn't do it this time. Believe me, I know where my priorities are and where to direct my energy. I just needed to vent!!! Thanks again!

Check the credit card you used to purchase the cruise...some have trip cancellation benefits.

Terrible things happen in life.insurance is the answer if you are looking for someone to take financial responsibility.It may seem cold but ncl must hear this 100’s if time a month.i have been fortunate that my wife and I have not gone though this but as we cruise a lot I am sure we will at some point.my wife’s father is very very ill and expected to pass soon.we cruise later this week so I am hoping the worst does not happen.good luck with your treatment best of luck.

Ina side note her mother is still very healthy and we look forward to being able to take her on a cruise soon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Getting a health diagnosis is a very upsetting thing. I know because I have been in your shoes (with a different illness). I am so sorry for what you are going through and hope you make a full recovery.

I always buy insurance now that cruise and air costs have gone up. Years ago when I could fly round trip to Ft. Lauderdale for $99 and our cruise fare was $900 I just rolled the dice. It is easily multiples of that even just looking at air fare. That said, I don't think NCL is heartless for denying giving you something you didn't pay for.

I can’t believe that people advocate that it is right to extort money from companies. Extort “Obtaining something by force, threats, or other unfair means”.

If a company has nil customer service skills, then they need exposure, I’m sorry but someone diagnosed with cancer needs support, I’m truly amazed that the average cruise person just refers to insurance, has anyone had experience dealing with those people, that presume your lying until you prove your not.

NCL could have done more...

If a company has nil customer service skills, then they need exposure, I’m sorry but someone diagnosed with cancer needs support, I’m truly amazed that the average cruise person just refers to insurance, has anyone had experience dealing with those people, that presume your lying until you prove your not.

this cant be a serious post.

this post has nothing to do with "support" we all support her in her battle with cancer but Ok so lets play devils advocate - so which situation listed should NCL let you cancel at any point with a full refund

Cancer Diagnosis

Death of spouse

death of child

death of best friend

Death of long lost uncle twice removed

sprained ankle

broken ankle

bad migraine

Trump being elected president for a second term

splinter

heart attack

stroke

bad hemorrhoids

Insurance exists for a reason and the OP knows this because they said they have purchased it every other time but this one, so they are not ignorant to what insurance is for.

This has nothing to do with good or bad customer service. If they allowed every sad story to cancel and I feel for the OP, it is a horrible thing to find out you have cancer, i know from personal experience, they would be out of business.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your feedback!! Ironically, I always purchased insurance but didn't do it this time. Believe me, I know where my priorities are and where to direct my energy. I just needed to vent!!! Thanks again!

It might be worth a couple minutes to check if the credit card you used provides any travel type of insurance. That might provide a little relief.

this cant be a serious post.

this post has nothing to do with "support" we all support her in her battle with cancer but Ok so lets play devils advocate - so which situation listed should NCL let you cancel at any point with a full refund

Cancer Diagnosis

Death of spouse

death of child

death of best friend

Death of long lost uncle twice removed

sprained ankle

broken ankle

bad migraine

Trump being elected president for a second term

splinter

heart attack

stroke

bad hemorrhoids

Insurance exists for a reason and the OP knows this because they said they have purchased it every other time but this one, so they are not ignorant to what insurance is for.

This has nothing to do with good or bad customer service. If they allowed every sad story to cancel and I feel for the OP, it is a horrible thing to find out you have cancer, i know from personal experience, they would be out of business.

Where did she ask for a refund? She asked to transfer after treatment 🤔

Going by corporate policy doesn't mean NCL has nil customer service skills. It's not for the customer service reps to pick and choose how and when to alter NCL policy.

Most people are very sympathetic to the OP and her illness.

Pieshops gave many other instances of why NCL or other cruise lines have said policies. Where does it stop? If you give the credit for one you have to do it for all.

Yes...NCL has great ships!! But Corporate NCL has NO People skills!!! I had a cruise booked for mid October. Three weeks ago, I found out I have breast cancer and need treatment immediately!!!!!! Immediately, we contacted NCL, explained the situation and asked if we can apply the money paid for this cruise to reschedule one for sometime next year!!! We did not ask for a refund! We also mentioned that we have taken cruises with NCL in the past. We were told to fill out a form (email) and submit it for their review. Their response was basically telling us that since this request is within 30 days of sailing...too bad...they cant help us!!!!! And how ironic it is that we are in Breast Cancer Awareness Month!!! NCL may be a business but they are completely and absolutely heartless!! Cruel.

Speedy recovery just concentrate on yourself, I apologize for CC, not the best place for compassion and understanding.

Speedy recovery just concentrate on yourself, I apologize for CC, not the best place for compassion and understanding.

Please , what post specifically isn’t being compassionate or understanding? Compassionate and understanding do not mean we have to be on her side on this issue

We see eye to eye.

I wish OP the best possible outcome with their personal battle ahead.

has anyone had experience dealing with those people, that presume your lying until you prove your not.

Yes I have.

When by father had a heart attack whilst on holiday in New Zealand, the insurance company flew me out there, paid for my hotel with expenses for nearly two weeks, flew me back, and settled all the other costs.

When our son looked as though he had broken his arm just a couple of weeks before we were due to fly to Hawaii a couple of months ago, the insurance company started the claims procedure for us, and we had basic agreement on the claim if he had in fact broken it. No need to ask NCL, airlines etc for a refund, it would all have been covered. Extremely easy.

Good insurance is well worth it, and covers far more than just cancellation.

I feel for you Coby25, right now your senses are on overdrive. The fear and unknown are overwhelming and I pray that you have a great support system. I hope the cancer was caught early.

I am a 9 years post BC and know that you will get the best treatment and outcomes to get your life back and a better cruise in your future. I would hope that NCL would give you a break, but do check with your credit card company and see if there is a provision for reimbursement.

I am not seeing a lack of compassion in this thread. I think everyone feels for the OP and wishes her a full and speedy recovery.

However, as many have pointed out, this is the exact reason trip insurance exists. As terrible as the OPs situation is, thousands upon thousands of people sail each year and some decent percentage of those find themselves in similarly unfortunate circumstances. It is not realistic to expect the cruise companies to offer relief to all of those customers. It is also unreasonable to expect cruise companies to "draw the line" as to what is tragic enough to deserve some form of compensation and what isn't.

To the OP, I am so sorry for your situation. I hope you find a cruise you can afford to book next year and have a great time!

Yes I have.

When by father had a heart attack whilst on holiday in New Zealand, the insurance company flew me out there, paid for my hotel with expenses for nearly two weeks, flew me back, and settled all the other costs.

When our son looked as though he had broken his arm just a couple of weeks before we were due to fly to Hawaii a couple of months ago, the insurance company started the claims procedure for us, and we had basic agreement on the claim if he had in fact broken it. No need to ask NCL, airlines etc for a refund, it would all have been covered. Extremely easy.

Good insurance is well worth it, and covers far more than just cancellation.

Keith you’re from the U.K. who do you use?

Keith you’re from the U.K. who do you use?

Currently I get it through my bank (HSBC). It’s an annual policy.

The previous one was a few years ago. I can’t remember who that was now, but it was again an annual policy.

In the U.K. I think there is a good case for getting annual cover. It is often very good value, and my experience with them has been very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

still check your credit card - my Chase visa has a trip cancellation insurance built in.

Currently I get it through my bank (HSBC). It’s an annual policy.

The previous one was a few years ago. I can’t remember who that was now, but it was again an annual policy.

In the U.K. I think there is a good case for getting annual cover. It is often very good value, and my experience with them has been very good.

We use Lloyds Bank, we do annual, but disclose all our treatments, it covers diabetes and Crohns as standard, policy cost is about £148 because wife had SVT some years ago, she’s fitter than me?

They refused to pay out for Ash cloud, until press coverage

I am a been there, done that, needed to buy smaller tee shirts after bilateral mastectomies.

Take a deep breath. If you have just been diagnosed, your cancer has been present for a long time (maybe years) before it was found. While the impulse is I need treatment immediately, you may find that "immediately" translates into over a month or more before any treatment (surgery, chemo, etc) is started.

Check with your doctor (oncologist if you even have one at this point). You may find that you will be able to cruise and return before anything can be scheduled.

Another yes for http://www.breastcancer.org Please join the forums at least look at the wealth of information on the site.

As far as NCL being heartless and not refunding money or transferring your fare, I am afraid your request falls into the all so frequent posts on cruise critic that starts "(Blank) cruise line is (heartless, bad, horrible) because I have a special problem that should have an exception to the cancellation rules that existed when I booked because I am special."

Unfortunately, that is not the case.